M14 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So here's my girl as she stand now:

Started out as a bone stock 2009 Norinco (I know, I know, us Canucks get em for cheap) I added a USGI stock, USGI gas system (shimmed but not unitized yet), SAI muzzle brake, NM oprod spring guide, ARMS 18 mount, Leupold Mark4 LR/T 3.5-10x40mm in ARMS22 rings, Sadlak bipod stud, Harris bipod and an Ergo rail on either side of the forestock. Gonna lay some strips of fiberglass in the forestock to stiffen er up and waiting on a NEA bolt stop to show up. Probably swap out the barrel for a kreiger or similar med or heavy contour barrel as a Xmas gift to myself. Now to go out and work up a load around the 155g Amax :D

Premium Member
Saw a thread a while back showing how to glass in some small diameter arrow shafts for a stiffener. I thought that was a grand idea that may help you out too. It'd be cool if you post some before and after range reports on the difference you see after stiffening you forend.

By the way... Looks good, so far. BIGTHUMPUP

Registered
dgheriani How do you like that strap on cheek rest? I've got one but haven't used it. Seems like it could/would slip at the worst time.

I also wasn't sure how I was going to secure the excess strap. Couldn't stand it flapping in the breeze myself.

Not putting down your choice just curious.

Registered
How did you install the side rails?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So I'm headed home this weekend and will hopefully start working out a load for this rifle. Will definitely post before and after pics with regards to the fibreglass forend stiffening. I'm hoping it results in a noticeable difference. Obviously not as much as hand loads but I'm hoping to see something.

As to the cheek guard, I actually really like it. I got it from CoyoteM1A. I was kinda annoyed at the excess length in the straps originally and had planned to cut them but to be honest, I really don't notice them. Keeping them long also makes it easier to remove the cheek rest entirely so that I can shoot irons (I use ARMS22 rings)

I installed the forend rails by simply marking out where I wanted the screws and drilling 2 holes on either side of the stock. The rails came with allen bolts and flat low profile nuts that I jb-welded in once the rail were tightly affixed. Pretty easy all in all

Registered
So I'm headed home this weekend and will hopefully start working out a load for this rifle. Will definitely post before and after pics with regards to the fibreglass forend stiffening. I'm hoping it results in a noticeable difference. Obviously not as much as hand loads but I'm hoping to see something.

As to the cheek guard, I actually really like it. I got it from CoyoteM1A. I was kinda annoyed at the excess length in the straps originally and had planned to cut them but to be honest, I really don't notice them. Keeping them long also makes it easier to remove the cheek rest entirely so that I can shoot irons (I use ARMS22 rings)

I installed the forend rails by simply marking out where I wanted the screws and drilling 2 holes on either side of the stock. The rails came with allen bolts and flat low profile nuts that I jb-welded in once the rail were tightly affixed. Pretty easy all in all
I like my DWP for that reason. It's clean looking and all I have to do is loosen the bolts and drop it down to shoot irons.

Registered
pretty lady

Registered
You must have glassed in the holes in the stock if it was a USGI,eh? And painted it too? What kind of paint? I need to paint some fiberglass stocks, but I want to use a fiberglass based paint. I'm always looking for suggestions. Overall it looks really sweet.

I would shoot it about a thousand rounds or so before thinking about changing the barrel. You might just be pleased with it as is. Laying out $4->600 for a barrel alone might not be so beneficial as a stand-alone modification. Once you get a Krieger on it, you'll want to get it restocked (McMillan, J Allen,etc), glass-bedded - if required, gas cylinder unitized, cryoed, refinished, etc.,etc., more money,time and energy, more money time and energy, more money time and energy.....

Just shoot it a couple thousand rounds first. Ain't nuttin' wrong with your set-up as is.

HTH
John

Registered
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You must have glassed in the holes in the stock if it was a USGI,eh? And painted it too? What kind of paint? I need to paint some fiberglass stocks, but I want to use a fiberglass based paint. I'm always looking for suggestions. Overall it looks really sweet.

I would shoot it about a thousand rounds or so before thinking about changing the barrel. You might just be pleased with it as is. Laying out $4->600 for a barrel alone might not be so beneficial as a stand-alone modification. Once you get a Krieger on it, you'll want to get it restocked (McMillan, J Allen,etc), glass-bedded - if required, gas cylinder unitized, cryoed, refinished, etc.,etc., more money,time and energy, more money time and energy, more money time and energy.....

Just shoot it a couple thousand rounds first. Ain't nuttin' wrong with your set-up as is.

HTH
John
Yeah, I glassed in the holes. The paint is just OD Green Krylon, no clearcoat as I like a more matte finish.

As it stands, I've put a lil over 600 rounds down the pipe. I'm definitely gonna put another 1000 or 2 through before I even think about swapping out the barrel. I am however gonna unitize my my gc and I have a video on bedding in the mail, gonna give that a shot as well.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So had a quick session at the range today. Reloading setup hasn't shown up yet and all I could find on the way home from school this weekend was some Federal 150g soft points. Slightly different drop than the AE 150g FMJBT I normally shoot but oh well. Both targets at 100m shot supported by a bipod on the bench

Target 01 was the 1st 3 shots of the day:

Target 02 was after a bunch of rounds and everything all warmed up:

Gonna stiffen up the forend this week and unitize the gas cylinder and see if that tightens things up. Pretty stoked on how she's shooting as is. Was smashing the steel targets at 350m prone every round. Just wish i had someone to spot me at the 400+m steel, it isn't free hanging and I can't tell by the report whether or not I was on. All in all a great monday morning :D

Registered
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Another lil update. Started working on a load for her last weekend, had it narrowed down to 4 and went back this morning to settle it. Pretty snowy day, it's been nuking up here. Luckily the dirt road to the range is plowed regularly and 4x4 and snow tires made easy work of the few inches of snow on the ground.

rocking my movember stache and pretty stoked to be shooting on a nice snowy day:

the best group, minus 2 evident flinches on my part where I knew the rounds would be off as soon as I pulled the trigger:

I'm real stoked to have shot a 1.176 group with a standard contour barrel! I still have a few mods I haven't gotten around to doing, stiffening the forsetock and unitizing the gas cylinder and barrel band. Final load was 155gr Amax over 42.2gr of Benchmark in Federal brass with CCI 200 primers.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.