M14 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I for one have set a goal to obtain 50 mags for my rifle so I can have 1000 rounds on hand mag loaded, but my question here is how damaging is it to the magazine to keep them loaded at all times? As of now I keep a 10 rounder packed so the old lady can load the 10 20's if shtf.

·
Registered
Custom service rifle builder
8,099 Posts
50 Mags

This is great. Purchasing 50 mags will help keep CMI in business and help the economy along. I always wondered how the guys managed in Nam with only five.

·
Resident Rascal
13,508 Posts
This is great. Purchasing 50 mags will help keep CMI in business and help the economy along. I always wondered how the guys managed in Nam with only five.
Well said Ted!

·
Registered
4,057 Posts
You have to forgive some of these Guys, they are Dreamers,I cant imagine myself Humping more than that,in that Climate, plus the 50 or sometimes 100 Round Belt for the M60 Gunner that most of us carried!ICONCRY

·
Registered
2,935 Posts
Well, four plus a pistol belt is about all I care to actually carry but I kinda adhere to the principle "if somes good, mores better!" I don't suppose I could carry 50 EMPTY but it does have a friendly ring to it: 50 M14 mags......Yeah, I like it! GI2

·
Registered
4,073 Posts
They didn't have to worry about Obama banning new ones. Although it isn't likely now, all it might take is another nut shooting up innocent people to trip the trigger on a new law.

It is better to have and not need, than to need and not have.

·
Registered
4,073 Posts
I for one have set a goal to obtain 50 mags for my rifle so I can have 1000 rounds on hand mag loaded, but my question here is how damaging is it to the magazine to keep them loaded at all times? As of now I keep a 10 rounder packed so the old lady can load the 10 20's if shtf.
If you bought good ones, either old school USGI or current manufacture CMI you are good to go, load as many as you want. The feed lips are steel and won't get messed up like aluminum AR mags and it has been shown that storing loaded mags does nothing to the springs.

The only thing is that 50 loaded mags might be bad for you back if you try to move them around very much.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well im not a fool I never said I was going to strap them to my a-- and walk the hills of Ohio! I just want what I want and thats what I will get.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks to the reply's I have wanted to load the mags I have to keep them at ready so know I know .

·
Registered
413 Posts
I carried 12 m14 mags humping the foothills of the Himalayas, I think I never used more than 5 mags in one patrol. But it gave me a piece of mind knowing that I had those other seven mags ready to go. Since I was the only DM in my platoon, hince I was the only one carrying m14 mags. I had no one else to grab a mag from incase I ran out. My kit, chest rack with plates was 75 lbs. Not counting my 3 day pack. I still have all those mags (don't tell Uncle Sam) and I will always buy more when I get a good deal. I say if you can put food on the table and afford more mags/ammo get it. My socom is my go to log gun right now. I keep loaded mags in both vehicles, both of my go bags. And some my secret squirrel hidey holes. So if you can hump it and still be mobile, carry as much as possible. We don't have Uncle Sam and his re-supply chain anymore.

Parashooter
ARMY1JMPWNG2CIB3

·
Registered
6,385 Posts
Moved to The Ammo BunkerGI2

BTW... Leaving magazines loaded isn't a problem at all.

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Well im not a fool I never said I was going to strap them to my a-- and walk the hills of Ohio! I just want what I want and thats what I will get.
Atta Boy !!

·
Registered
197 Posts
My Dad carried a M-14 in Vietnam, after the first time they were ambushed he/they doubled the number of mags they carried and taped a second mag to the mag in the rifle. He retired a few years ago after 37 1/2 years as a Highway Man, and the one thing I remember him saying on several occasions is you can never have too much ammo.

·
Registered
4,057 Posts
My Dad carried a M-14 in Vietnam, after the first time they were ambushed he/they doubled the number of mags they carried and taped a second mag to the mag in the rifle. He retired a few years ago after 37 1/2 years as a Highway Man, and the one thing I remember him saying on several occasions is you can never have too much ammo.
What Year, What Unit?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts