M14 Forum banner

Third Quarter M14 competition (Nomination Thread)

3K views 50 replies 15 participants last post by  MuppetMeat4Me 
#1 · (Edited)
The Firing Line Quarterly M14 Competition

This quarterly competition will be opened to all participants and all variations of rifle classes, we will no longer have a “Traditional” or “Modern” category, and all rifles will be eligible to enter in the competition.
Nominations will be opened from the beginning of the month of each quarter and will remain open for 30 days, voting will open on the first day after nominations close and will remain open for a period of 30 days. The winner at the end of each quarter as well as the second runner up will both be eligible for the final M14 of the year vote. A total of 8 rifles will be eligible for the M14OTY top award.

• First quarter, Q1: 1 January — 31 March (90 days or 91 days in leap years)
• Second quarter, Q2: 1 April — 30 June (91 days)
• Third quarter, Q3: 1 July — 30 September (92 days)
• Fourth quarter, Q4: 1 October — 31 December (92 days)

What determines M14 of the Month/Year

Voting for M14 Of the Year will be held at the end of the calendar year , The winner of each quarter as well as the next runner up will be eligible for the final voting for the title. A total of 8 rifles will be eligible for the award.
Nominations will be reset at the beginning of the New Year, which would be the month of January. If your entry wins in any quarter during the calendar year ,you will not be eligible to re-enter until the following January regardless of when you won.

Nomination Guidelines

Official nominations can only be made by the rifle’s primary owner.
If you’d like to see a specific member’s rifle in the competition, you can make an unofficial nomination, but it must be officially nominated by the primary owner. For example,
-“I’d like to see Member A’s rifle in this month’s competition!” – Member B
-“I nominate my rifle for this month’s competition.” – Member A
If you are unofficially nominated and do not want to be in the competition, there is nothing required on your end, although a posted declination would help the process.
Only ONE unofficial nomination is permitted per member.
Official nominations must be seconded by at least one other user. Nominations will be voided if it does not receive a second nomination.

Primary Nomination Guidelines

When making a primary nomination, please post the following:
-URL Link from the album of your M14 rifle.
-Short description of what makes your M14 stand out.
-Reason for nomination that will motivate others to second the nomination.

Profile/Album pages

In the profile page, create a new album dedicated to your rifle and upload some pictures showcasing your rifle. For your photo album to be eligible, only pictures of one rifle should be in the album. If you need assistance uploading photos or creating an album, do not hesitate to ask our community or PM myself.
Members also enjoy reading about what parts, receiver manufacturer, any special information that would make your entry stand out against all others be included in the album description.

Nomination Guidelines

When making a secondary nomination, please ensure that you use the same post for the maximum of 3 allowed seconds. Any seconds not located in your first seconding post will not be counted. Please also ensure that you quote the primary nomination post that you are seconding in your post. You can use the Multi-Quote option if you are nominating multiple M14’s. This is to make sure your secondary nominations are counted. All secondary nominations should include the word “second” or “+1”.

Nomination Timeline

Nominations open on the first day quarterly and will close on the end of the month.

Voting Timeline

Voting will begin on the first day of the month, following the last day of nominations and end on the last day of the month.

If anyone has any questions, feel free to PM myself, or you can look at last month's nomination thread as an example.

If anyone feels the rules are unfair or should be adjusted, please PM myself before the nomination period is over.

1. MuppetMeat4Me- GWLA/Skipper's Lil' Buddy
2. Eyeguy-LRB/Kreiger M14
3. Phil “Murphy” McGrath - JRA/SA NM

4. 1911a1- LRB/NM
5. electricnic-SAI/M21
6. Cowtownscout- H&R Pre-XM21 Tribute Rifle

7. Nominate your rifle!
8. Nominate your rifle!
9. Nominate your rifle!
10. Nominate your rifle!

See less See more
#3 ·
I would like to nominate Skipper's Lil' Buddy!

When making a primary nomination, please post the following:

-URL Link from the album of your M14 rifle.
M14 Forum

-Short description of what makes your M14 stand out.

Ted was selling GWLA receivers. I think when I asked if he had any left, there were four of them, and one of them had MSC in it for 'Master Sealift Command' or something like that. That got me thinking to Gilligan's Island, and then I was thinking about Hawaii, and Tiger Sharks, and thought it would be cool if the Skipper had a PT boat, and a tiger shark instead of Gilligan. And then I kind of thought about my grandfather, who like the Skipper and Gilligan, lived in Hawaii, and who, like a tiger shark, also liked to swim and would eat just about anything. And so here we are, a homage with mostly USGI or USGIish parts, with a theme of the ocean and an appetite.

Will add pictures and post a target with evidence of BANG hopefully soon.

-Reason for nomination that will motivate others to second the nomination.

Fun. I consider that a worthy motivation.

#5 ·
I will 3rd MM4M Skipper's Lil' Buddy

Reactions: MuppetMeat4Me
#6 ·
A first time for me, I'd like to nominate my LRB/Kreiger M14.

This started are a barreled action, purchased from a member here. The action had been stuck in a safe for the better part of eight years. LRB did barrel install and head space. I finished the build using mostly NOS/NIW USGI parts.

Shooting sport Shooting Wood Air gun Machine

Receiver: LRB M14SA
Barrel: Keriger medium weight, 1 in 11, SS and bead blasted
Bolt: TRW / NOS
Op rod: SA / NOS
Flash hider: SA / NOS
Gas cylinder: Unitized / welded
All small parts were NIW

The stock came to me having been sanded and stained. Stripped the finish and used hot washing, and coarse sanding to raise the grain (THANKS to KurtC and M1Army for their recommendations here to salvage this beautiful piece of wood). Finish is hand rubbed Linspeed Oil.

To be frank, the barrel is not fully broken in and will be working on that in the coming weeks but early results confirm she'll be a shooter.

A link to her album is below.

Thanks for looking!

#11 ·
I've been so busy working on my yard, landscaping, I haven't been able to work on my LRB. Pretty soon, maybe make it in this time. I know I can't do a paint job that beats MuppetMeat4Me though, so will have to wait and see where it goes.

#12 · (Edited by Moderator)
Hmmm, ok I will throw my rifle into the mix as well after being prodded by a few other members. It’s a USGI NM SA healed James River with almost all SA parts. All carefully assembled Into a nice tight package, and bedded by our very own Tonyben. All parts were sourced except for a very few that came from other members here on this forum and there are too many too thank.

She is silky smooth and runs as intended. I had wanted too replicate my much missed Super Stocker rifle with a few additional tricks that were not incorporated in my original rifle, This rifle is not your typical run of the mill NM build. You have too look at the details. But you name it and it was addressed during its construction, minus lugging.

Here is the link, I hope everyone enjoys.

#13 ·
Hmmm, ok I will throw my rifle into the mix as well after being prodded by a few other members. It’s a USGI NM SA healed James River with almost all SA parts. All carefully assembled Into a nice tight package, and bedded by our very own Tonyben. All parts were sourced except for a very few that came from other members here on this forum and there are too many too thank.

She is silky smooth and runs as intended. I had wanted too replicate my much missed Super Stocker rifle with a few additional tricks that were not incorporated in my original rifle, This rifle is not your typical run of the mill NM build. You have too look at the details. But you name it and it was addressed during its construction, minus lugging. View attachment 430441 View attachment 430442

I hope everyone enjoy’s.
Here is short build laundry list, for those that don't remember?
USGI NM SA forged James River heal.
Barrel is a std USGI couture Wilson 1/12rot. H/S is 1.633 with bolt lug contact 90%+ on each side lapped squaired.
NM reamed USGI F/H with SAI NM .072 front sight for us with aging eyes.
USMC unitized G/C with M25 vent mod.
Mac M1A stock with drain hole added for M25 venting.
NM welded front sling swivel.
Rear sight is a mix of USGI NM/2A parts Salyer modded, with Art Neergard aperture and lens insert.
Handguard is a late dark brown solid that is almost black and floated for non-contact.
Spring guide in USGI NM two piece.
Trigger job done by Me, set around 5lbs for wear in.
Sling by Tamm.
Assembly by Me with help and the use of tools by Tonyben.
Bedding by Tonyben.

#25 ·
Sorry, Been busy, list has been updated and M14Brian raised a good question," What will the winner do with no medal?" I forgot this new forum doesn't offer anything I believe? Suggestions? Maybe an entry fee of $5 for every rifle that gets nominated and the winner collects the prize money? Unsure if this is allowed or not but maybe something to consider..

#24 ·
I will third 1911A1 Match M1A rifle.

#31 · (Edited)
I nominate my rifle for this quarter's competition.
Springfield Armory receiver
Springfield M21 stock (glass-bedded by our own @tonyben)
Krieger 1:10 medium-weight barrel
m14.ca CASM Gen II steel scope mount
Vortex Diamondback Tactical 4-16x44 FFP
m14.ca SHG-M scout rail
ShootingSight RPS trigger/hammer
Schuster adjustable gas plug
unitized front band, USN welded-method (thanks @forceman)
Ron Brown sling

I didn't know what to do for a background so I used my fiancée. Maybe that's cheating, but I use the resources I've got. ;)

The dog had to get involved, too.

#34 ·
I nominate my rifle for this quarter's competition. Title can be "Here honey, hold this for a sec."

Springfield Armory receiver
Springfield M21 stock (glass-bedded by our own @tonyben)
Krieger 1:10 medium-weight barrel
m14.ca CASM Gen II steel scope mount
Vortex Diamondback Tactical 4-16x44 FFP
m14.ca SHG-M scout rail
ShootingSight RPS trigger/hammer
Schuster adjustable gas plug
unitized front band, USN welded-method (thanks @forceman)
Ron Brown sling

I didn't know what to do for a background so I used my fiancée. Maybe that's cheating, but I use the resources I've got. ;)

View attachment 430850
View attachment 430851
View attachment 430852
The dog had to get involved, too.
Nice rifle but you need to create an album and then put a link to that album into your nomination.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.