M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've been thinking of getting a .308 with a threaded heavy barrel. I decided I like the Remington AAC SPS over the savage, then today at the LGS I handled a stainless 5R side by side with the AAC and the 5R had a much nicer stock and felt a lot smoother in the action.

My idea is this rifle, Badger mag conversion, 20 MOA base, Badger rings and still thinking on the scope. For now it'll probably get a brake and later maybe a can for sub sonics.

I see great reviews on the 5R....so any last minute advice before I take the dive?

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
I highly recommend the Remington 5R. Quite a few of my students use them and they are uniformly good shooting sticks. Every one I've seen was sub-MOA, quite a few were .50-.75MOA with factory match ammo.

How much are you wanting to spend on the scope?

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm not looking at "cheap" scopes, but probably less than $1k. I have looked at the Zeiss Conquest and Leupold MK4, both in 4.5x14 power. I think NF is out of my price range.

·
Registered
4,250 Posts
I just recently bought a 5R in .308 with a 24" barrel and really, really like it. I added a NF 3.5x15x50, Harris bipod and just last week added a super cool feature, a CDI Precision detachable box magazine system and bottom metal ... drove 3 hours from my house to where CDI Precision is located and had the pleasure of meeting Jeff and his wife while he installed the DB system, great product and super folks.

Check out Eurooptic.com, they usually have closeout or demo items that might bring a scope into your price range. I've bought several scopes from them and have been more than pleased with their service. http://mobile.eurooptic.com

CDI Precision DBM system...

Six shots at 100 yards while doing some load development...

·
Registered
4,966 Posts
Keep your eyes peeled on the used market as well tons of people will spend big bucks on a bolt rifle and then decide it's not for them.

FWIW here is my new 'precision' rig:

It's a model 70 with a 260 rem barrel, bedded, trued etc, waiting on PTG box mag. Was thinking of selling it but after test firing it yesterday evening I'm keeping it. I think it's going to be a genuine 1/2 MOA rifle once I figure out what it likes.

·
Registered
3,454 Posts
I recommend the Vortex Viper PST, in either the 4-16x50mm or the 6-24x50mm. Both are under $1k.

Unless you are already well-versed in mils, I recommend the MOA reticle with .25MOA adjustments.
Best scope for the money. Glass comes from the philippines. Great glass.

Dutch

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
I was able to shoot sub 0.75 MOA with my 20 inch 5R with Larue 20 MOA base and Larue low rings with a Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50 scope first time out with M118 ammo. I need to change the trigger out and do some load development and I think I can get sub 0.50 MOA out of my setup. I know there are better rigs out there but for approximately 2k, the limiting factor is me not the gun. Let us know what you end up with.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well if they still have it I'm gonna go pick it up on Saturday. The want list got out of hand but here it is, in order....

Remington 700 5R 20" threaded barrel
Badger Ordnance 20MOA base
Badger Ordnance rings
Leupold Mk4 4.5x14-50 M1 MILDOT
Seekins bottom rail
Atlas Bipod
Badger Ordnance DBM
AAC 51T Muzzle brake
AAC 762-SD silencer

Should make a pretty slick setup.

·
Registered
891 Posts
Just finished bedding mine. (Not Shot yet)

PTG bottom metal and mag in mailbox I think, Going to check now. Upgrade scope in future (Leupold VX3 for now)

24" 5R
Jewell Trigger
GreTan Firing Pin and Shroud Assy
Bedded Dev Con

PTG needs inletted like the badger. I'll go to friends machine shop and use the mill. Not quite as afraid since bedding the rifle. Of Coarse its to $700-$1000 McMillan or Manners either.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.