M14 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I decided to buy a 1911 a few years ago mainly because both of my grandfather's carried them in the service. I have been through a few now and currently own a Kimber Custom II. It resides in the safe almost all of the time.I have shot it a bit and it is a sweet gun but I still prefer my Glocks. I could sell my Kimber and all of the extras I have accumulated for it and own another Glock that could have magazine and ammo interchangeability with my current lineup and a ton of ammo. From a practical point of view I think this would be wise but I can't commit to the idea yet...any reason I shouldn't?

·
Registered
918 Posts
I am the total opposite as I own only 1911's. I say sell it and get what you are comfortable with and enjoy. I sold many Glocks a few years back for the same reasons you have towards the 1911. You may be able to get close to two Glocks pending on what model Kimber you purchased.

Just read it is Kimber Custom 2. It would be closer to a one for one. I would still do it.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Every safe should have a 1911 and a Glock.
The 1911 in the safe and the glock under it to keep it level?

LOL

I hated the glock I had so much I gave it to my brother in law. I have more 1911s than I can count on one hand. they are my favorite type of pistol.

OP I always give this advice to people about handguns, buy the one you feel comfotable with because if you don't it wont get used and when you need it you won't know how to operate it through muscle memory alone.

Dump the 1911 and get the glock if it makes you happy.

·
Premium Member
Honorary Forum Lifer
16,421 Posts
I am the total opposite as I own only 1911's. I say sell it and get what you are comfortable with and enjoy.
+1 to behr70. I went to all 1911s for the same reason you are considering, for ammo/mag/accessory interchangeability. If you are a solid Glock man, I would consolidate to one type of gun since you are talking about it, that has been my strategy.
m14brian

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
I'm not a fan of Glock. Although its a good gun its just not for me. (just my opinion). I had a Kimber also but thought it was too expensive for a carry gun and everyday shooter so I left it in the safe. If its just sitting there SELL it. Not like its as collectible as an old Colt 1911.

·
Registered
8,520 Posts
I prefer Glocks. I have both a G19 and G17. Cheap, light and accurate for me. I sold off all my 1911s as they were too heavy for concealed carry in GA weather. Hard to hide a 1911 under a t-shirt or short sleeve button up. I also prefer the additional rounds that a 9mm Glock provides.

Sell what you don't need or use and get what you are comfortable with.

Reactions: TheShooter

·
Registered
3,567 Posts
Glocks are my working guns for duty and off duty. I do have 4-5 1911's in my safe but can't remember when the last time I pulled one out..................well, I'll take that back. I did pick up a Rock Island PI made 1911 last year and ran a magazine of ammo through it before it went in one of my safes. Surprisingly good quality and accuracy for the price.

Glock is my daily carry due to familiarity and capacity. Of course I'm prepared for multiple assailants, hence the added capacity.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Go with one kind, either way, parts compatability, muscle memory and ammo.
That's what I did.
I don't think you can go wrong either way. Hard to argue with a pistol that's been in service since 1911 and it's hard to argue with a pistol that is the most widely used service gun in the world.

My first handgun I bought was a colt 1911 from before 1920, I saved my money and bought it in 1987 for $400, I shot the living snot out of it and love the 1911 and a .45 in general, but have gone to a glock 19.

·
Registered
6,577 Posts
The Lord loves wondrous variety. GI5

Don't sell your only 1911. Every red-blooded American should have at least one. You'll regret getting rid of it, IMO.

·
Banned
4,039 Posts
Handguns are much more to the individual taste (feel) much more than other guns I think.

I had a S&W Model 59 back in the day and the grip felt like I was holding a box of kitchen matches...GONE

It is that individual "feel" we have for our handguns IN THE HAND is why we love, hate or tolerate them.

Go with what currently "feels" the best in your hands. It is a highly individual thing.

I like a wonderous variety myself.

·
Registered
502 Posts
sell it and get another glock... or just keep it and save up your cash.

Do what makes you happy and or what you shoot better. I shot the 1911 and HK45 better then the XD so i sold it off. Personally for me the only pistols ill ever buy from here on out are gonna be 1911's and HK's.

But if its a good shooting Kimber you got, Id say keep it, that way you have at least 1 1911! it can be a range toy.

·
Registered
4,299 Posts
A Kimber? I would sell it.

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
I've always been a 1911 man since I learned how to disassemble one of them on those long endless mid-watches in the radio shack of the ammo ship that I served on in the Nam between 62-66. I carried one as a cop for thirty years so I'm intimately familar with them. I can even disassemble a 1911 and put it back together blindfolded. I know because that was my talent that I performed at one of our churches talent nights years ago.

Having said all of this.. Back when I went back to FBI police firearms instructor, revolver to auto pistol transistion school in the late 80s I used an early glock 17 that was one of the first glocks in our area in the holster of a cop. I took my duty Colt series 70 1911 to the school, but the FBI will not allow single action auto pistols on any of their firing ranges. PERIOD, no discussion about it either...

There was a Captain and a Sergeant from a North Alabama Sheriff's Dept there at the same transisiton school and they got pissed and left when they couldn't use their 1911's. This was around the time of the great FBI shootout in Miami where the two thugs had killed several FBI agents in a gun fight. Those two Deputy's told the FBI instructors, you guys can't teach us shi+ because you didn't teach your own agents how to shoot properly or they wouldn't be dead now and they packed up their gear and went home.

I didn't have that luxuary since, at the time I was the firearms instructor for our county SWAT team as well as for the city where I was a night shift patrol division Sergeant. So I sayed and used my new Glock 17 that I had in the trunk of my Crown Vic along with leather and ammo, just in case...

So I have long experience with Glocks as well and well frankly....I like them a lot.

They are great pistols, easy to instruct new recruits with and reliable to a fault. Plus they are durable, rust resistant, light weight and have a high magazine capacity, all of which are big positives for anyone needing a pistol that can be used when it absolutely, positively must work. Then too they are affordable for a cop on a budget who must supply his own firearm. Which incidentially many of them still have to do.

If it were me I'd keep my 1911 and my Glock. That is unless the wolf is at the door and you've got to have money, then sell the 1911 it will bring far more money.

7th

·
Registered
173 Posts
Every time I decided to sell a 1911 to get something better to carry, I ended up selling the new pistol and buying another 1911. I've tried Glock, Smith, FN, HK, and Beretta. Still went back to a 1911 each time. Everyone has their own personal preferences, so do what seems best for you.

Reactions: dist1646

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
I have 3 1911s, ive owned glocks, but couldnt get comfortable with them . I have a early kimber custom that has been a trusted companion. Use the 1911 for another glock, god knows, ive done the same.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
I carry a Glock for my job. When I retire I will carry a Glock for protection.

I also carry my 1911 in the boonies when I go camping, etc.

The Glock works for me as a business gun. The 1911 is my favorite.

Carry what you like to carry and shoot. It's a personal decision.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts