M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Colt 1911 XSE Commander 45ACP 4.25" SS

Any feedback, comments or potential issues to watch out for?

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
Hard to go wrong with a Colt.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I hear you. There is a Springfield mil spec for around $400 less, that's a lot of ammo... Educate me a little. I've just started looking and it's a whole new world out there!

·
Registered
564 Posts
I can tell you that the new ones are far and above the ones in the past. If you get a chance, try the new LW Government Model. It's not quite as accurate as my Wilson LW, but it's darn close, VERY close.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Just did the same thing

I just started a thread at the end of May. Got one begining of June. Looking for my next one already. If you reload you will love it....once you can find powder.

·
Registered
2,934 Posts
Thinkin' about my first 1911

It was '75, Colt Commander Satin Nickel: I was 19. Carried and shot it for years. Handled alot of 1911s since. Wouldn't own a Colt after the Series 70 model. Carry and shoot Kimbers and Smiths now. All Springfields that have come thru my classes have malfunctioned.

·
Registered
303 Posts
It was '75, Colt Commander Satin Nickel: I was 19. Carried and shot it for years. Handled alot of 1911s since. Wouldn't own a Colt after the Series 70 model. Carry and shoot Kimbers and Smiths now. All Springfields that have come thru my classes have malfunctioned.
When I get to a malfunction with my springfield I'll let you know. Up to 2k now

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
I'm not a Colt fan. Haven't been since the Series 70. A Sig, Springfield, Ruger, Kimber, or Remington will usually have a better trigger, but a good 1911 'smith can make any of them good/better. My Kimber went from great to excellent with a fifteen minute job from someone who knew what they were doing, even retaining the Schwarz safety.

The Ruger uses the Series 70 design with a titanium firing pin to give it a much better trigger than a modern Colt at twice the price.

This is not to say the Colt is a bad gun. I just think they are overvalued.

My dad has a Springfield Mil-Spec and it has been an outstanding gun. I wouldn't hesitate to own one.

Reactions: 37489

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The mil spec caught my interest this evening. The price seems really low, that's my only hesitation.

·
Registered
4,966 Posts
My preference is for 3 dot sights, extended beavertail and full size. Sigs are good, Kimbers, Smiths, Rock Island, Springfield, just look around and find what you like. There are tons out there. Like any other semi auto the mags and ammo are your weak points reliability wise so you might have to experiment with different magazines. The Gold Cup 70s series I had only ran with older colt mags and chinese 1911 mags for example. All others, wilsons, chip miccormick, etc...didn't work. Weird.....

·
Registered
303 Posts
For the money, the Ruger SR1911 is tough to beat. JMHO.
This is one I was thinking about getting for my second, To the OP--I narrowed it down to 2 when I decided S&W or Springfield Loaded Both around 800, I decided on the Springfield due to there excellent Customer service and warranty. I figured if this was my first 1911 it would be nice feeling to know that if anything was wrong they would take care of it.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Springfield Mil-Spec stainless steel is what i own, it has been flawless. A friend of mine that has colt 1911s all worked on just thinks I need a trigger job but I have no problem with it. Trigger feels good to me.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Springfield Mil-Spec stainless steel is what i own, it has been flawless. A friend of mine that has colt 1911s all worked on just thinks I need a trigger job but I have no problem with it. Trigger feels good to me.
They have them at my lgs for 598 right now. Seems like a fair price compared with a couple of other online vendors--Thoughts?

1 - 20 of 41 Posts