M14 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
................specifically a Zoom 310 model. Anybody have any experience or advice about them? Since I was never on a SCUBA team, nor did any Marops stuff in the military, I never worked around RIB's (which are helluva lot bigger than a 310 in any case). I'm looking at going on slow moving rivers and some of the dam lakes in central Arizona.

·
Registered
113 Posts
They are OK, the floorboards are a little bit of a pain in the neck if you are going to be deflating/inflating a lot for storage. The Fast Roller series with inflatable floor are much better for that. Also very heavy. If you are going to leave it inflated then no problem.

The valves dry out and start leaking over time as well. Seems to be a common thing. The tubes are made out of fairly tough material, not bullet proof but not light like a Walmart special for a swimming pool.

All in all, they make a decent product. I've owned 4 of the various different models.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
You might also check into a folding boat.

I saw them at the RV Shows I have been to, and I have seen them in some RV parks. Sorry I cannot remember the name of the boat company.

They looked prettty good and can't get a hole in them and sink...DI2

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
They are OK, the floorboards are a little bit of a pain in the neck if you are going to be deflating/inflating a lot for storage. The Fast Roller series with inflatable floor are much better for that. Also very heavy. If you are going to leave it inflated then no problem.

The valves dry out and start leaking over time as well. Seems to be a common thing. The tubes are made out of fairly tough material, not bullet proof but not light like a Walmart special for a swimming pool.

All in all, they make a decent product. I've owned 4 of the various different models.
I've heard that it is bad to leave the boat deflated for any length of time as the rubber can stick together and be degraded. For space reasons I'd rather keep it deflated but not if it's going to cause damage. What's ground truth?

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You might also check into a folding boat.

I saw them at the RV Shows I have been to, and I have seen them in some RV parks. Sorry I cannot remember the name of the boat company.

They looked prettty good and can't get a hole in them and sink...DI2
I just looked at the website for folding boat. Thanx for the tip! I think this may be a much better way to go.

·
Registered
426 Posts
I'm on my third inflatable boat. It is my 2nd high pressure inflatable floor boat. In my opinion, that is the best way to go. The one I had with a wooden floor was hard to assemble, noisy and heavy. I have NEVER had a deflated boat stick to itself. Sometimes I may go six months with the boat deflated, rolled up and wrapped in its protective envelope. It always looks just like it did when I put it away. I've never had any problems with the check valves or inflation points. I use a DeWalt 18v wet or dry vacuum to do the major part of inflating and then do the final bit with the foot pump.

If you are planning to row one of these boats, please take movies, because I want to see that. You WILL need a small outboard motor. I currently use a 9.8 hp Tohatsu short shaft 4-stroke. It will plane the boat with 2 or 3 adults in it. With just me, (215#) the gps says it will do 20 knots. I'm pretty careful about sharp objects, but I have never had to patch any of the inflatables I've had. Check out West Marine Model # 14272447. The only reason I bought a 2nd one is I sold my 1st one, and later discovered I still needed/wanted one.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts