M14 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been watching gun broker for a cheap polytech or norinco M14 to keep my new Rockola company. I always hear about people getting sreaming deals on buy-it-now auctions, but it never seemed to happen to me. But I think I finally got lucky, check it out: http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=382104678
At first glance it appears to be a basic norinco M14 with a painted stock and a badly neutered flash hider, but after a closer observation I noticed that the cheek pad is a hard to find USGI WWII issue K Line!! The K Line is at least $300 by itself, but even better is I needed that cheek pad to finally complete my CMP M1C! That makes the rifle, scope, mount combo only $700. Think I did pretty good. Now I can try my hand at a USGI bolt conversion for it.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Good deal man, congratulations, is it me or does the mag look like it is not in all the way? It's at a weird angle. I suppose you could come from the side with a grinder and take that weld off of the castle nut if our careful.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Good deal man, congratulations, is it me or does the mag look like it is not in all the way? It's at a weird angle. I suppose you could come from the side with a grinder and take that weld off of the castle nut if our careful.
That's what I plan to do. The flash hider is obviously toast, but I do think the castle nut can be saved. I believe the chicom castle nuts are metric, so I will make sure I save it.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Glad you're happy man. You sure about that pad?
If you look close in pic #8 you can see the stylized "K" at the top of the left side of the pad that denotes K Line manufacture. Also the stitching on the pad ends in a triangle on both ends, only the USGI pads did that.

·
Registered
4,777 Posts
Cool man good score then! I believe the threads on castle nut are close enough to American that you can use a standard one. The weld is a piece of cake.there is a us parts count that must be meet for compliance with 922r in order to put a flash hider on it. Failure to do so will result in immediate incineration from the 922r compliance crew... The bolt conversion is not that difficult just take your time, measurewith right gauges.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Cool man good score then! I believe the threads on castle nut are close enough to American that you can use a standard one. The weld is a piece of cake.there is a us parts count that must be meet for compliance with 922r in order to put a flash hider on it. Failure to do so will result in immediate incineration from the 922r compliance crew... The bolt conversion is not that difficult just take your time, measurewith right gauges.
I believe when I'm done with it I will have more than enough US parts in it!

·
Registered
5,315 Posts

Could you please point me to a government link that says imported complete rifles before 922r came about need to comply? Are you telling us that every Norinco and Polytech owners need to comply to 922r?

I have a Poly and I do not want any visit by anyone who do not have the courtesy to knock. Here is my understanding of 922 R

Section 922 Paragraph R states:
"It shall be unlawful for any person to assemble from imported parts any semiautomatic rifle or any shotgun which is identical to any rifle or shotgun prohibited from importation under section 925(d)(3) of this chapter as not being particularly suitable for or readily adaptable to sporting purposes except that this subsection shall not apply to--
(1) the assembly of any such rifle or shotgun for sale or distribution by a licensed manufacturer to the United States or any department or agency thereof or to any State or any department, agency, or political subdivision thereof; or
(2) the assembly of any such rifle or shotgun for the purposes of testing or experimentation authorized by the Attorney General. "

Please advise.

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
good deal man. a thing to note on the heel marked norincos is they can be a bear when it comes to doing a bolt conversion on (compared to the early sneak norincos with no heel mark) but you could get lucky. if a gi bolt doesnt even start to close i would just check headspace and leave it as is unless your headspace is too long then i would send it off to warbirds or someone who has done extensive bolt conversions. my first bolt conversion was a side marked polytech where a gi bolt wouldnt even start to close and i thought to myself what did i get myself into. many hours later and many many hours lapping latter i did get it in and headspaced and it did shoot very nicely. whatever you do dont give it to a local gunsmith to do the bolt conversion on it. ive seen bolt conversions on a polytech that i bought on gunbroker that was so screwed up by gunsmiths who had previously worked on it that i had to completely replace the bolt and throw away the poor hacked on gi bolt that the "gunsmith" thought he could work on and ended up destroying it instead

·
Registered
224 Posts
Luv that K-Line!!

I've been watching gun broker for a cheap polytech or norinco M14 to keep my new Rockola company. I always hear about people getting sreaming deals on buy-it-now auctions, but it never seemed to happen to me. But I think I finally got lucky, check it out: http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=382104678
At first glance it appears to be a basic norinco M14 with a painted stock and a badly neutered flash hider, but after a closer observation I noticed that the cheek pad is a hard to find USGI WWII issue K Line!! The K Line is at least $300 by itself, but even better is I needed that cheek pad to finally complete my CMP M1C! That makes the rifle, scope, mount combo only $700. Think I did pretty good. Now I can try my hand at a USGI bolt conversion for it.
Great catch!!1DI2

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Looks like a painted USGI synthetic stock too. They ain't usually exactly on the cheap side anymore in usable condition.

That castle nut will be an easy fix, EASY!

·
Registered
4,777 Posts
Yeah that got me for a second too. Enjoy your new toy. I've never dealt with a heel stamp noRc as far ass the bolt conversions go. To me it's reasonable that if the situation is questionable, it's worth it to send out for the work. War bird will run you $200 if nothing major is wrong. A barrel is about$300 installed from him.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I'd say that was one hell of a score! $300 for a cheek pad is something I'd never pay, but there are definitely people willing to pay that. I thought I was lucky when I got a Poly Tech M14/S for $500, but I guess they come with great deals all of the time!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts