M14 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Treadhead
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
(Did a search, and couldn't find any mention of Thermolds.)

I've got several of these for my AR15's that work fine.

Do they work in an M1A, in your experience :?: I don't have any M1A Thermolds, have 13 USGI 20's.

But was thinking, if they work, they could save some weight.

·
Treadhead
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you, gentlemen. Yes, I wanna order 10 from Coles to go with the Thirteen (13) I already have. But, I think those 13 will hold me, for now. 8)

·
Banned
611 Posts
I think thermolds suck. I have tried them in a winchester, H&R, springfield and my norinco receiver and they either fell out, bolt not picking up rounds, or wouldn't latch in all of them. I still have two of them but they are going to the next gunshow to get traded for a real one. I have had realy good luck with the chineese mags that look like gi's. Of course the real ones never mess up either. I also tried one of them blued thirty rounders once. I cant tell you how well it worked because it latched in so low that the bolt never picked up any shells.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Thermold M1A mags

Yo, I have 8 of them & with a little fileing they fit & function great in my SAM1A. GI mags are probably the way to go but @ $21. bucks, the plastic works for now... Havn't tried them in my Fed Ord yet. :?:

·
Treadhead
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wonder if Thermold will be back in business?

Wonder if Thermold will be back in business :?: Post-Ban, so to speak...

·
Registered
79 Posts
WOW serious resurrection of old post!!

I've heard these mags referred to as "thermelts," but I've no experience with them myself. I just don't like plastic.

with the curent pricing trend in real deal USGI 20 rounders, why would anyone look elsewhere? I just ordered 3 @ [email protected] from Quantico before I saw the [email protected] from CDNN, but NIW I guess is worth the extra 5 beans.

·
Registered
900 Posts
even so I'd stick with metal
I had no luck with the thermolds I tried

·
Registered
40 Posts
Re: Thermold M1A mags

William Tell said:
Yo, I have 8 of them & with a little fileing they fit & function great in my SAM1A. GI mags are probably the way to go but @ $21. bucks, the plastic works for now... Havn't tried them in my Fed Ord yet. :?:
William, what do you think of that Fed Ord?
I had one, but sold it this last weekend...
I liked it, but needed the money for bigger, better things.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Haven't had any luck with the Thermolds in my SA, either. They do sound good on paper, though.

·
Forever Remembered - RIP
3,750 Posts
I bought one a few years back, mid 90's. It looked well made but it just would not lock into mag well. After a couple of licks with the file it fit great for a couple mags full. Then the bolt started to ride over cartridges. I tried adding some epoxy to the lug, trimming the lips a little, all with no luck. Oh well, once bitten....

·
Registered
846 Posts
i've got a couple i use at the range. they work fine. but every now and then they fail to lock the bolt back.

the american thermolds are made of zytel. the canadians didn't want ot pay the license fee to dupont. so they cheapened the mix and ended up with mags that melt. FWIW zytel is the plastic that is used under the hood of your car so it can handle the heat no problem.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I just bought 23 brand new ones(nc) from a dealer going out of business,,, they are all new,,, will let ya know how they work in my SA scout with a chop mod stock when the gun arrives,,,, if I get them before the new gun, I will test them in my poly...

·
Registered
2 Posts
After my purchase this weekend, i wont even think of buying thermolds. Picked up 12 packs of 2 mag, usgi, for $20 bucks each. yes they were niw. Also picked up a sak nm barrel with a te of 0 for $115 and a 2pack of gas cyclinders for $90. For once the gods smiled on me.

·
Registered
16 Posts
well the thermolds came in and they are all new, wilson nc manufacture. They will not lock into my poly however, and I noticed that the edges (upper and lower) on the locking plate (rear of mag) are angled. Should I just dremel off the angle on the bottom of the locking plate, will that do the trick in fixing them hopefully?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts