M14 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys.

Well, here she is, my long-awaited SuperMatch. :D

Picked it up in suburban Chicago yesterday, drove AROUND the city, (it being a dreaded AW and all), and brought her out to my safe on my in-laws' farm in HoosierLand, where she's tucked away tonight. Alas, I'm back in Chicago... :cry:

I immediately removed that dumb-lookin' 10-rounder it came with, and stuck a USGI 20-round box underneath. Five minutes after I opened the case, I seemed to have lost the cute little lock, too.

I also retired the hardcase it came with, in favor of the pictured BRAND-SPANKIN' NEW Starlight Double Rifle Case--WITH WHEELS-- that I got at Sam's Club for less than $60! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Folks, if y'all haven't gotten at least one of these cases by now, beat a path down to your nearest Sam's. They are incredible. And the price beats the heck out of the $244.99 for the same model w/wheel option on www.starlightcases.com. Just be prepared to have some sore fingers, as those latches are a killer to open and close... And, oh yeah: be prepared to accomplish a feat of engineering to get it in and out of a car that is deficient in trunk space...

But I digress...

To the piece itself: man, this thing is a beast! The stock is HUGE, and completely hand-filling, the trigger breaks like the proverbial glass rod, and the specks on the basement wall didn't stand a chance when I was dry-firing it off-hand with one of those dry-fire devices installed (the muzzle just REFUSED to move).

The stock, although a beautiful walnut, was comparatively flat-finished (just against my preference, I guess), and the bolt hold-open latch looked slightly chintzy. The track for the op rod handle was pretty dry, and it needs a cleaning/light re-lube across all critical parts, which I already have planned for before my range trip. The trigger group came out with some difficulty (expected), although it was difficult to engage the safety (yes, I cocked it first). Of what I could see of the bedding, it looked very well done. I did not have the time to do a detail-strip entailing removal of action from the stock.

Buttplate is hinged GI. Although, you'd think that if you were dropping that much $$$ on a piece like this, there'd be some goodies on the other side of the trapdoor? No such luck. :?

Anyway, thanks to all for their previous input, even though I may not have heeded it all.

Indy 1500 next weekend; range report to follow in a month or so.

Spike

·
Registered
609 Posts
That is one sweet looking rifle, congrats.

The stock does look a little bland/dry, it being bedded and all, is there anything you can oil it with? BLO or Tung Oil?

-Chris

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey, thanks guys.

Yeah, it does feel good, now that you mention it...

Chris, I'll be getting some tung oil at some point, just to bring out the grain a little better. Either that, or getting a flat polyurethane coat or two. It's a shame it's so subdued.

Now the big question is getting time to actually hit the range (I have lots of home improvement projects from Da Missus, an additional cost of this transaction :wink: )...

Spike

·
Registered
3,923 Posts
Aloha SpikenFritz:

Congrats!!! Wow, that SM is impressive!!! Yeah, they are heavy arn't they? But fits the hand very well... :lol:

Very Cool! Almost every SM that I saw "new" had wood that looked "dry" but stained. That seems to be normal for SA to put on the SM rifles... I wonder why it is left like that... almost like "open grained" wood.

But she is a beauty! And, I can't wait to hear the range report!

Aloha,

Tom O.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Did a little work on fitting my new toy to the case last night, although with the new piece of foam I now need to order :?, I need to ensure I'm more vertical with my cutting strokes. It's still fully functional; I'm just anal...

I'll probably cut a slot for my Dewey rod near the hinge.

And no, I haven't shot it yet (although at the Indy 1500 this past weekend, I did pick up four more BRW S-1s that were in great shape).

See ya.

Spike

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
Hey Spike - the only thing that I can say at this point is WOW!!! \:D/

What a cool rifle. I can't tell too much from the pic, but I think that stock is really pretty -looks like a really nice grain pattern.

Hope it shoots as good as it looks - Range Reports are requested, Sir.

BTW - really like your new "signature".

DB

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks, DB & Theo. I appreciate it.

Yeah, the stock is dull, but I'll be oilin' her up pretty soon. The grain does look really nice in the right light.

Range report (with pics) will be forthcoming; just got a lot of work to do around the house first (that Married Thing, you know). Haven't yet been able to strip and grease 'er up yet.

The rifle... not... oh, never mind. :wink:

Spike

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.