M14 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 112 Posts

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read a comment by Whatsinaname on another thread where he proclaimed how sick he is of the word "Tactical". Immediately I thought, "You know what? He's right." Just to be sure, I pulled up dictionary.com:

Random House Dictionary said:
tac·ti·cal   /ˈtæktɪkəl/ Show Spelled[tak-ti-kuhl] Show IPA
adjective
1. of or pertaining to tactics, especially military or naval tactics.
2. characterized by skillful tactics or adroit maneuvering or procedure: tactical movements.
3. of or pertaining to a maneuver or plan of action designed as an expedient toward gaining a desired end or temporary advantage.
4. expedient; calculated.
5. prudent; politic.
That being established, how many products labeled "tactical" are truly and sincerely tactical in nature? I contend that nearly none of them are.

They may aid the user in performing tasks in a tactical environment, and may perform exceedingly well in aiding such user, but that does not mean that the product itself has much of anything to do with the actual tactics of a given situation. It just means these tactics might work a little bit better, I suppose.

I think the word "utility" better describes these products than "tactical". Maybe "combat utility" or something similar to help distinguish from the entire range of utility products that have nothing to do with combat.

What do you guys think?

·
Cranky Old Vietnam Vet
10,663 Posts
I think we should 'jury' what is Tactical and what is Tacti-Kool!

GI1

CAVman in WYoming

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think we should 'jury' what is Tactical and what is Tacti-Kool!

GI1

CAVman in WYoming
My answer would be that "tactical" is whatever remains practical, works well, and solves an actual problem, whereas "tacticool" is a solution looking for a problem, or a solution creating more problems, or just downright useless or maybe even cheap in quality. That is, of course, ignoring the point of the definition of "tactical" in my original post GI7

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
What has this to do with the M14? It should be in the geedunk.

·
Registered
5,741 Posts
"TACTICAL" condoms AKA "TACTICONS"; so stealth like she'll never know you were there...

Oh... she already doesn't know you're there, huh?

Maybe you should get this other brand, "BLITZKRIEG" condoms AKA "Blitz Bags"; just be aware these do not work in Russia.

Oh... She's Russian.

Well, we just got a shipment of "TALIBAN" condoms AKA "Tali-Whackers"; most everyone hates these, but you strap one on and you're guaranteed to make her blow up.

------------------------------------

Sorry guys, Art's post about the use of "National Match" is still fresh in my head... and I'm feeling a little creative with my writing.

It seems in this day and age with weapons, if it doesn't have the word tactical somewhere in the name or description, it just won't sell, or at least that's the idea marketing agents have.

I think "tactical" should be replaced with "enhanced", "utility", "modular", "multipurpose", or just plain omitted from the name or description all together.

·
Cranky Old Vietnam Vet
10,663 Posts
I read a comment by Whatsinaname on another thread where he proclaimed how sick he is of the word "Tactical". Immediately I thought, "You know what? He's right."
Actually I recall Col. Jeff Cooper expounding on how 'Tactical' was nothing but a sales gimmick...and that was Years Ago!
If Cooper couldn't shame everybody...nobody can!

GI2

CAVman in WYoming

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Your level of Tacti-coolness increases with every attachment you add to your gun and pouch you add to your kit. Bonus points for faux carbon knuckled combat gloves, 5.11 pants and a baseball hat. Max points awarded for a small beard worn in conjunction with Oakleys, for that "operator" look.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I got fed up after the tactical lever actions came about. Leave 1913 rails on black rifles, please.
My Rio Grande came with a 1913 rail on the top of the receiver, that garbage came off on day 1. What the hell good are optics with such a rainbow trajectory as the .45-70 anyways? Especially when I refuse to use less than 400gr bullets...

Now I've got two cool little vent holes on my rifle so it don't overheat GI6

·
Inquisitor
11,356 Posts
It's all about marketing. In the military there is very little equipment we refer to as tactical. In fact, we use the word tactical to describe local conditions that are changeable as opposed to strategic which describes what won't be changed to meet local conditions.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It's all about marketing. In the military there is very little equipment we refer to as tactical. In fact, we use the word tactical to describe local conditions that are changeable as opposed to strategic which describes what won't be changed to meet local conditions.
See, now that's the distinction I was looking for, between tactical and strategic. I knew it in my head, but didn't know how to describe it. It clearly has nothing to do with what flashlights and lazers you're using :p

Only time I've heard anyone in the military use "tactical" incorrectly like this is when directly referring to a product that has been mislabeled as "tactical", which is hardly an abuse by the serviceman himself. Therefore, I believe you.

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Your level of Tacti-coolness increases with every attachment you add to your gun and pouch you add to your kit. Bonus points for faux carbon knuckled combat gloves, 5.11 pants and a baseball hat. Max points awarded for a small beard worn in conjunction with Oakleys, for that "operator" look.
This is known as the CDI (Chicks Dig It) Factor: The higher the CDI, the less useful it is.

·
Banned
3,722 Posts
First and foremost, "tactical" should be "practical". Sorry FPrice, I saw your post after my observation. practical function should come before "design". Needs should dictate design, not some wild imagination, especially with guns.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
First and foremost, "tactical" should be "practical". Sorry FPrice, I saw your post after my observation. practical function should come before "design". Needs should dictate design, not some wild imagination, especially with guns.
Very much agreed, nothing sexier than practicality to me. But you'll notice in my OP that I mentioned some falsely labeled "tatical" items are in fact very useful. My (main) point was that even the practical items are not truly "tactical" by the definition of the word.

·
Registered
5,741 Posts
So by GARRARD's definition, the situation or conditions determine what's tactical.

This makes way more sense, especially with how he worded it. Strategic, strategy, plan(s) for the foreseen. Tactical, tactics, plan(s) for the unforeseen. Equipment is just equipment, some may give you more of an advantage but that doesn't make it tactical or strategic, just prudent planning.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Strategy= this is WHAT we're gonna do.

Tactics= this is HOW we're gonna do it.

technique= the physical mechanic of doing the tactic.

Anything that helps you accomplish your mission is tactical.

If your tactic is to sneak into a place quietly, then anything you use to be quiet is tactical( for instance, the rubber covers for dog tags are tactical).

If you need to be able to drop your rifle( but not lose it and be able to get to readily) and draw your pistol, then a sling that allows that is tactical.

In the old days LEO had to hold a flashlight in one hand and the pistol in the other hand...this tied up both hands...some decided that to be more efficient, they need the light to be on the pistol, to free up a hand.....the light on a pistol( rifle, SG) is tactical.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Strategy= this is WHAT we're gonna do.

Tactics= this is HOW we're gonna do it.

technique= the physical mechanic of doing the tactic.

Anything that helps you accomplish your mission is tactical.

If your tactic is to sneak into a place quietly, then anything you use to be quiet is tactical( for instance, the rubber covers for dog tags are tactical).

If you need to be able to drop your rifle( but not lose it and be able to get to readily) and draw your pistol, then a sling that allows that is tactical.

In the old days LEO had to hold a flashlight in one hand and the pistol in the other hand...this tied up both hands...some decided that to be more efficient, they need the light to be on the pistol, to free up a hand.....the light on a pistol( rifle, SG) is tactical.
I can see that, I think that makes sense.

I still think that words like "silent", "muffled" or "sound suppressed" for stealth-based products, or for example "drop sling" makes more sense than throwing the word "tactical" in front of every product name. That way, it more accurately describes what sort of tactical situation the product is aimed at, or if nothing else, avoids the connotation of the less practical "tacticool" products out there. This way the "tacticool" products have no other words to describe themselves with GI7

·
Inquisitor
11,356 Posts

I knew that picture would show up sooner or later.

1 - 20 of 112 Posts