M14 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well gentlemen, its offical- youre a bad influence. Bad! You warned me and warned me, but I think ive caught a small case of the sniffles... the onset of The Sickness that is M1A's.

Recently I painted the stock and optic of my SAI Loaded... but it just didnt sit right, especially after seeing all the beautiful wood stocks on here. Plus I prefer a good wood stock myself. SO... I gave her a makeover courtesy of Charlene32 down in San Antonio, he sold me a Big Red stock today and I just got her all perdied up and put together and thought I'd share. Thanks again for such a great deal. Spent over an hour carefully scraping the paint off my Leupold, lol.

You guys are a bad influence! GI5

Any advice or suggestions would be great as well. I still need to test fire and evaluate to see what needs to be done, but indeed she is PERDY! THIS is the way a M1A should look! GI6

DS K.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Nice piece of wood. Looks very nice.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
thats one good lookin' rifle.......DI5

in addition to the bayonet lug already mentioned, I would suggest a dummy selector switch / button and connector arm to complete the stock.

what is your #2 M14 type gonna be? GI2

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
thats one good lookin' rifle.......DI5

in addition to the bayonet lug already mentioned, I would suggest a dummy selector switch / button and connector arm to complete the stock.
I agree, and you need a wood handguard. Then you will have reached M1A nirvana.

·
Registered
3,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Question- Is it bad if the handguard is touching the stock? ive heard this issue mentioned before.

Im definatly going to go with sparrow hawks dummy selector kit when more play money comes in, right now i need more bullets to seat in my LC cases for test firing lol.

How would one attach a bayo lug to a barrel without one? weld it? the thought of welding anything to a barrel makes me nervous.

I still like the GI look with the plastic handguard. This rifle looks almost identical (sans the selector) to my old NM service rifle. I cant quit looking at it, LOL. Did dry-fire drills for at least a half hour last night in the living room. Im digging the fatter grip on this puppy too.

·
Registered
3,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
HA! So im not the only one!

Alright, so i took her out today and fired about 70 rounds off a sandbag. 60 rounds Federal (american eagle 168gr) and my average group size was about 1 minute. I had a couple of serious flyers my first few rounds and my starting group was about 2 MOA. the groups shrank to a steady 1 MOA after about 20 rounds or so.

This stock shoots better than my old one!

Also, i noticed today that the first round of each string would go 1 minute to the 11 o clock, almost every time without fail. Im assuming this has to do with the first round being chambered manually?

DS K.

I know what you mean.......when I get home I usually take one of the rifles out of the safe and lean them against the wall by the TV just so I can look at them....:ARM28:

·
Registered
3,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No, not a CCB shot. This is the 1st round of every 5 shot string that has been locked and loaded each time.

Almost every time, to varying degrees it happens with every group. I did pull the stock off mid-shoot to check for rub spots near the gas tube, but theres nothing.

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
aaaaaaaahhh,

yeahhhh,,

all natural. thats how i like em! she's a beaut! wasnt sure if you were going to unpaint your scope cuz in your overseas pics your scope was painted......but i like what you did. all nacherale baby! beautiful.

and plus one on the input of others......you need a flash suppressor with a bayonet lug and a hawk dummy kit and you will be set......YOU WILL BE SET MY FRIEND.!

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
p.s.......

it would be nice if you could get a flash suppressor( GI style) that is both parked and reamed. a lot of aftermarket flash hiders are blued....which is ok but will not match your gun as well. and for accuracy you want that flash hider reamed.....not sure how much of a difference it makes. i have one that is not but cant tell.....you have to keep a look out for the good ones.......if it is cheap, chances are you dont want it. and when i mean cheap, i mean under 90-100 bucks. sad but true. i can tell you that your flash hider is reamed...just not GI.

beautiful rifle my friend. nice piece! i dont know if it is a weapon or a work of art. two ideas which are not mutally exclusive by the way.

glad you like the stock and im glad it has a good home....cheers.

DI2

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
Kevin....

plus 1 on the tv set idea. i always set my guns next to the tv and just look at them during commercials. i would like to find a way to hang them on the wall with out them begging to be stolen. i will find a way though. they are too beautiful to be kept hidden.

i will say that there is one fitted w/ a bipod that i keep on my dining room table.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts