M14 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If I'm not mistaken here ... and please correct me if I am wrong ... But I believe that there were "three" companies that first came out with production of the M14 ... Yes? No? Maybe?

Winchester?

TRW
H&R
S/A

Not necessarily in that order mind you and possibly yet another if Bill Can fill me/us in here ...

Anyway ... of the "Big Three" (or Four .. whichever the case may be here) I would like to know (if possible) which one was in fact "actually" the very first to put one in the hands of the Military and when did the M14 first appear as I was under the impression that the M14 was produced in the 1950's somewhere ...

TIA Bill ...

Six

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
If my memory serves correctly Springfield was the first to start the production and I think that was around early 1959. Winchester and H&R were next, probably about a year later, which would be sometime in 1960. TRW was quite later, probably 63 thru 64.

Production at Springfield was also done in 1954/55 with the T44E4. I think approx 2000 of them were made, with a number going to T44E5 (M15 HB) production later. I remember a Springfield Armory employee telling me that an occasional T44E4 would come back with standard M14's for rebuild, so some actually got into the hands of troops.

That is about all I can remember, but probably some of the past American Rifleman articles will have more on production. Hope it helps.

·
Registered
5,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks a bunch Bill ... :wink:

I remember not long back something about wdigeorge having a possible chance at acquiring a T44 I believe ...

Six

·
Registered
498 Posts
Bill Ricca said:
If my memory serves correctly Springfield was the first to start the production and I think that was around early 1959. Winchester and H&R were next, probably about a year later, which would be sometime in 1960. TRW was quite later, probably 63 thru 64.

Production at Springfield was also done in 1954/55 with the T44E4. I think approx 2000 of them were made, with a number going to T44E5 (M15 HB) production later. I remember a Springfield Armory employee telling me that an occasional T44E4 would come back with standard M14's for rebuild, so some actually got into the hands of troops.

That is about all I can remember, but probably some of the past American Rifleman articles will have more on production. Hope it helps.
Good memory Bill: http://www.msgt-maze.com/AmericanRiflemanOctPg1.html?1048046289497

·
Registered
9,465 Posts
Yes, Bill is right again. :D On page 201 of R. Blake Stevens' book U. S. Rifle M14 from John Garand to the M21 it states that Springfield Armory completed the first fifty M14 rifles in July, 1959.

Springfield Armory used serial numbers 2000 to 19213 for their first run. Winchester had the next set of serial numbers from 19214 to 54213. Then came Harrington & Richardson with serial numbers 54214 to 89514 and so forth. Reference: U. S. Rifle M14 from John Garand to the M21 by R. Blake Stevens page 337 which reproduces a list of M14 contracts and serial numbers prepared by Mr. Albert A. Cole, Jr. who worked for Rock Island Arsenal.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts