M14 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
7,441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've found the solution to the worst of my cold weather shooting problems: Heat 3 Smart glove-mittens, as seen here:

http://www.theheatcompany.com/hands...e.html?___store=english&___from_store=default

It gets REALLY cold up here in the Great White North, and for months at a time ordinary shooting gloves just aren't warm enough. Then, when I switched to insulated gloves, there were major problems with trigger control, with the extra thickness in the finger combined with the loss of 'feel' causing shots to go off prematurely. I tried cut-off trigger fingers and fast-off mitts military style with very light 'contact' gloves underneath- neither are as ideal as these Austrian items, designed for their special forces. Waterproof/breatheable, these things have everything I want including no-slip leather palms. Local dealer's price for the "smart" version with the silver fabric finger and thumb is $165 a pair but these babies are totally worth it.

EDIT: nice, brief video found on Youtube:

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e80Pj_3Qyxg[/ame]

5,445 Posts
Are these legit? They look like they belong in Outer Space... GI8

·
Registered
607 Posts
These look similar to my Heli Rescue gloves by Hestra (http://hestragloves.com/en-us/gloves/alpine-pro/heli-glove/)

Although, I am looking that the Smart 3 version of what you posted for my Fiancee - she needs a good solid snow glove/gauntlet, and the touch screen feature on the Smart 3 is perfect... So much, I may have to try a pair myself.....

price is steep - but I value my fingers to protect them!

·
Registered
3,268 Posts
I live in northwestern North Dakota, climate zone 7, coldest area in the continental U.S. I hunt and work outside all winter long, temperatures here in the winter months, dec-April can be -20 to -60 and colder with wind chills, wind here is what makes it generally colder than Minnesota, few trees. These gloves work great, best Ive ever had, I've had plenty and go through about a doz per winter for the last 5 or six years. I can work my trigger, tools hold nails and screws, they are very practical, the problem with most heavy mittens or gloves is you cant really do much with your fingers while wearing them.
I hunt a lot of coyotes and when we are sitting in our spots waiting its cold, I don't have to take them off or open up a mitten, by the way your fingers freeze in a hurry if you open your mitten up.

http://www.chillygrip.com/chillygrip.html

I don't have any interest in this company, just use thier products a lot, I use the blacks for anything down to 0, the blue and camo for anything below zero, the blue and camo are a little thicker tighter weave.

·
Registered
3,268 Posts
For extreme cold, at extended length, -30 to -60 I always bring a pair of rubber mittens to go over my chili grips, these right here, like when we are out on the lakes ice fishing. Or sitting in blinds.
H.t. Enterprises Eskimo polar mits, I've had mine for years and they are tough, I've fished and hunted in some of the worst weather out there and between these and my chili grips can handle anything, plus they are not that expensive. Chili grips are about $6 and my ht ent. polar mits are about $20

http://htent.com/catalog/item.php

Sorry if I hijacked your thread, your gloves look great! Just thought I'd share my .02 worth, I have a lot of experience with cold hands.

·
Registered
7,441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sorry if I hijacked your thread, your gloves look great! Just thought I'd share my .02 worth, I have a lot of experience with cold hands.
Not at all, this forum is here for ideas and solutions. But your gloves-and-rubber-mitts system for outdoor work doesn't solve the trigger control problem that's been bugging me when operating a firearm in the big freeze.

·
Cranky Old Vietnam Vet
10,663 Posts

·
Registered
3,268 Posts
Not at all, this forum is here for ideas and solutions. But your gloves-and-rubber-mitts system for outdoor work doesn't solve the trigger control problem that's been bugging me when operating a firearm in the big freeze.
I don't know what trigger control problem means? Explain please. I dont use the mittens with these gloves much unless im fishing mostly but I pull my trigger all day long with these gloves ON, shooting/hunting coyotes, long shots and quick shots and pheasant hunting in EXTREME cold.

Anyway I been real pleased, they're tight and grip well and can pull my triggers.

Ill send you a pair to try if you want just tell me your size? I have a crew from Georgia up here framing for me, and passed them out to them. They had these giant ski type gloves on, freezing thier fingers off and couldn't run the tools or nail guns.
You southern boys are tough but man they don't like the cold.

·
Registered
7,441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I don't know what trigger control problem means? Explain please. I dont use the mittens with these gloves much unless im fishing mostly but I pull my trigger all day long with these gloves ON, shooting/hunting coyotes, long shots and quick shots and pheasant hunting in EXTREME cold.

Anyway I been real pleased, they're tight and grip well and can pull my triggers.

Ill send you a pair to try if you want just tell me your size? I have a crew from Georgia up here framing for me, and passed them out to them. They had these giant ski type gloves on, freezing thier fingers off and couldn't run the tools or nail guns.
You southern boys are tough but man they don't like the cold.
Trigger control: the precise feel of a trigger necessary to discharge a firearm at precisely the right microsecond. The problem I'm referring to is a factor in long range rifle shooting, but I mostly encounter it when I'm after ruffed grouse with my double barrel. These birds are normally visible for no more than a split second, and this fall was a very cold one where I am. So, wearing ordinary winter gloves, I found the shotgun was going off maybe only 1/10 to 1/100th of a second too soon, but it meant a clean miss. Cutting off the finger tip of any glove's trigger finger solves that problem but the finger can freeze in the meantime, and/or stick to the metal trigger or any other piece of metal. BUT, the glove mittens I'm posting about not only solve that but also solve a lot of other daily problems in dealing with being out in the extreme cold and, while they are not absolute necessities (I guess my decades of doing without them is proof of that), they are such a well thought out triumph of design combined with use of modern materials that I would buy them for that alone. I AM a gear nut you know!

·
Registered
7,441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yes. these new gloves should guarantee me a bird in the pot every time! GI1

(Seriously, I miss so often that I do have a pretty good idea of what causes it to happen, I mean when it's due to some extra factor). I will try your brand if I come across them, I promise- I'm always looking for improvements.

And remember, this is posted in the survival forum. The thing about the Heat 3s is that they offer major improvements in survival factor over any ordinary glove or mitten system. I don't need no nuclear winter, I get one every year and they come just like clockwork.

·
Resident Rascal
13,508 Posts
Guys, down here usually it doesn't get below zero. I've used these mittens with a fold back section over the fingers that velcros to the top of your hand. I'm not sure where mine came from but here's an example:

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Mens-Micro-Fleece-Convertible-Mittens-Grey/dp/B002Y2UMXW/ref=sr_1_35?ie=UTF8&qid=1357439572&sr=8-35&keywords=mens+mittens[/ame]

$169 for a pair of gloves around the farm I just can't afford.

·
Registered
7,441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

·
Registered
3,268 Posts
And remember, this is posted in the survival forum. The thing about the Heat 3s is that they offer major improvements in survival factor over any ordinary glove or mitten system. I don't need no nuclear winter, I get one every year and they come just like clockwork.
Lol, in north Dakota we have a natural disaster every year...it's called winter, difference is we don't get government help for it.
Sweets I know what you mean about survival, we go into survival mode every winter, its definitely a different animal.

·
Registered
7,441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Updating after testing the mitts for 4 hour periods in still air temps ranging from freezing to -35 or so. They are of course more than is needed at the mere freezing point, but the possibility of wearing them as full time gloves with most of the insulation folded back means they're that versatile. They remain quite warm down to -35 and I would estimate at any temperature on earth, and of course you can always add the tear-to-activate style heating packs. At low temps, the gloves are going to be mostly for quick dexterity, at the extreme low points as much needed contact gloves to avoid skin freezing onto metal. One thing that would be nice: the gloves are plain fabric and are for that reason are a little slippery, so adding some silicone patterning on the fingers and palms for 'traction' would be the last features needed to make these items very close to perfect. Silicone would of course conflict with the special touch pad material on the thumb and index fingerson the version I bought, so it would have to be left off there.

I'm toying with the idea of putting my own silicone on the glove fingers, but the possiblity of wrecking such an expensive item means I'll at least wait until they're not so shiny and new. It's not a huge deal anyway. If anyone has any tips about doing such a thing....

·
Resident Rascal
13,508 Posts
I've got dozens of such-like and different gloves and mitts but NO snake boots! Different strokes!
Sweets, I never thought of it before. But you don't have any snakes up there? Would you like for me to send you some? GI2

·
Registered
7,441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Sweets, I never thought of it before. But you don't have any snakes up there? Would you like for me to send you some? GI2
Careful, they would have cash value with the teens up here, the more poisonous the better. I did have a two inch ribbon snake go for my toes this fall, vicious little bugger. Actually, it was cold and I believe it was trying to get to wherever it was going to hibernate and I accidenally knocked it a ways back down a hill I was descending. But that is as snakey as I need things to get.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts