M14 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
In the gilded halls of Valhala
13,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is this a must have item for anyone$

This item gives a tactical advantage over many.

How would you feel going against someone with one of these?

This rifle with the spider bullets and you become a walking ball of stay the hell at least 700 yards away.

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
If I had an extra $10k laying around...I'd buy one!!

·
Registered
5,679 Posts
TP's technology is definitely another tool for the kit. I can see some law enforcement agencies insisting they need it.

·
Registered
947 Posts
Is this a must have item for anyone$

This item gives a tactical advantage over many.

How would you feel going against someone with one of these?

This rifle with the spider bullets and you become a walking ball of stay the hell at least 700 yards away.
It might give an advantage to those who don't know how to use the rifle in the first place.

·
In the gilded halls of Valhala
13,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It might give an advantage to those who don't know how to use the rifle in the first place.
That's its gaining point.

It turns a Green shooter into an expert, and it also has features for seasoned Shooters to make shots that even the best have to leave to some degree of guess.

There are not any Shooters who can score consecutive hits at 700 yards while squatting.

·
Registered
947 Posts
That's its gaining point.

It turns a Green shooter into an expert, and it also has features for seasoned Shooters to make shots that even the best have to leave to some degree of guess.

There are not any Shooters who can score consecutive hits at 700 yards while squatting.
You sure about that last? Sure, it's easier prone.

It can't judge the wind for you.

I've worked on actual guided munition systems. That is just a sight with a ballistic computer. Technology that has been around for decades in one form or another. I'll stick to practice, myself. I realize that word is anathema to many "professionals" and their departments, though.

·
Registered
5,679 Posts
That's the thing. If the operator, let's say a soldier or Marine, has to move about, has to concentrate on eluding enemy, he/she isn't going to be taking gallery shots with the rifle. 700 yds with the 5.56 AR? Well, there are "apps" for that - multi-dot and BDC reflex, holo, and telescopic optics. Choose what you like. They're better than the bullet you'll probably be firing.

·
Registered
251 Posts
So in your view does this mean that "those who know how to use the rifle in the first place" can consistently shoot to the limits of accuracy of the rifle and ammo at all effective ranges and weather conditions, inclinations, on moving targets and from various positions USN3?

If so, I guess there are lots of folks out there who thought they knew how to use the rifle but under this criteria, don't. This would include most military shooters, professional users and match competitors GI9.

·
Registered
947 Posts
So in your view does this mean that "those who know how to use the rifle in the first place" can consistently shoot to the limits of accuracy of the rifle and ammo at all effective ranges and weather conditions, inclinations, on moving targets and from various positions USN3?
This system is essentially just a rangefinder and ballistic computer. It does NOTHING for the wind. This won't help you "shoot to the limits of the accuracy of the rifle" or ammo. This is not a guidance system. It's just an integrated ballistic computer attached to an electronic trigger. It's an "app".

Frankly, most military and police shooters aren't sufficiently trained. That's what makes things like this attractive to various departments: just try to throw money at it with a technological fix instead of fixing the underlying problems. How much MWR money goes into the shooting sports on bases around the country? How much to golf?

·
Registered
947 Posts
That's the thing. If the operator, let's say a soldier or Marine, has to move about, has to concentrate on eluding enemy, he/she isn't going to be taking gallery shots with the rifle. 700 yds with the 5.56 AR? Well, there are "apps" for that - multi-dot and BDC reflex, holo, and telescopic optics. Choose what you like. They're better than the bullet you'll probably be firing.
Again, this doesn't judge the wind for you.

·
Registered
251 Posts
This system is essentially just a rangefinder and ballistic computer. It does NOTHING for the wind. This won't help you "shoot to the limits of the accuracy of the rifle" or ammo. This is not a guidance system. It's just an integrated ballistic computer attached to an electronic trigger. It's an "app".

Frankly, most military and police shooters aren't sufficiently trained. That's what makes things like this attractive to various departments: just try to throw money at it with a technological fix instead of fixing the underlying problems. How much MWR money goes into the shooting sports on bases around the country? How much to golf?
Granted that the system will not adjust for windage..yet (and is calibrated for only certain ammo). You ignore the built-in sensors and automated trigger - so its much, much more than an app. No one ever claimed that this was a guidance system - so lets not go there.

You make a valid point in that vanishingly few people have either the budget, skill or time to continuously train to maintain as perishable a skill as rapid precision shooting. This is exactly why Trackingpoint is valuable. As with most automation, it brings expert capabilities to the average and even skilled user - but has to be used within the design envelope.

I'm just kinda torqued over what I see as another arrogant, offhand, boastful comment that this system is only good for people who aren't good with their guns (and assuming that you exclude yourself from this group). The reality is that in most conditions, Trackingpoint will significantly up the capabilities of the vast majority of shooters.

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
I felt like I had just tuned into an "INFOMERCIAL" and at the end there would be a wrap up line of "But wait........ If you will order now, we will include two live coyotes for you to use when showing your friends how well this item works"...........
----------------
Take an average, dumb, overweight, out of shape American off of the couch and give him this unit. Force him to run 200 yards and take the shot............. He will die 1,000 deaths before he reaches the 200 yard mark. This stuff must be marketed by the Taliban.

Thanks for a morning laugh.

Hobo

5,445 Posts
The fact it doesn't account for atmospheric/weather condiitions leads me to believe this is a waste of money.

Learn to shoot. It is fun and rewarding... particularly when the gadgets die leaving only irons and brain power.

GI7

Reactions: Hobo Hilton

·
Registered
431 Posts
Buy 10k rounds for $1.00/round and divide them between 3 "shooters" and you'd have some pretty fair shots when they were through, just sayin'.

·
Registered
947 Posts
Granted that the system will not adjust for windage..yet (and is calibrated for only certain ammo). You ignore the built-in sensors and automated trigger - so its much, much more than an app. No one ever claimed that this was a guidance system - so lets not go there.
Yet? Just what sort of remote sensing capability do you think they could implement that WOULD account for wind several hundred yards downrange? A human shooter has to use the overall environment (grass, leaves, smoke) and mirage. An onboard computer? That's a very difficult problem. One I don't believe the manufacturer is prepared to solve.

Note that Tracking Point calls their product a "Precision Guided Firearm", so they apparently went there.

I've worked on active flight control munitions projects. This is not a trivial problem and wind is an extremely significant error source.

I'm just kinda torqued over what I see as another arrogant, offhand, boastful comment that this system is only good for people who aren't good with their guns (and assuming that you exclude yourself from this group).
I'm sorry you feel that way. This system will not make an expert shot out a novice. Nothing can replace training and experience. Not yet, anyway.

·
Registered
3,382 Posts
Somehow, . . . I'm thinking that just about the time a guy spent the $$$$ for that thing, . . . practiced with it until he knew it well, . . . ol' Uncle Murphy would probably come around.

I can see batteries going dead, . . . boards frying, . . . lenses cracking or getting hazy, . . . computers needing reset, . . . gyros needing re-oriented, . . .

Yeah, . . . ol' Uncle Murphy would have a ball with that if I owned it, . . . think I'll stick to my ol' beat up loaded, . . . batteries ain't gone dead on it yet, . . .

May God bless,
Dwight

·
Registered
130 Posts
I don't think it would make me shoot worse.

I understand the appeal of personal skill and simplicity in firearms, but technology advances. You used to shoot artillery with pen and paper, and some soldiers can do it pretty quick. I'd challenge the most experienced Fire Control Man to a shoot off if I had a AFATDS (computer) vs his pen and paper, I am confident I could evaluate the target faster.

That said I think all artilleryman should train and practice how to shoot without computer assistance.

I'm not going to buy one, but if one was handed to me free I'd keep in and train with it. Learn it's capabilities and limitations.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts