M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4,006 Posts
I've seen these comparison write-ups before. It all depends on the criteria used in their ratings. Every weapons has its own fans, so you will get lop-sided views on each one tested. I don't even know how you can rate a bolt action side by side to a automatic type rifle. All weapons systems have their pros and cons. It's a matter of what you deem important. dozier

·
Registered
504 Posts
It appears they want quantitiy over quality here.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Short service life. Really belongs alongside #4 the M1 Garand, as it is an M1 upgrade. I don't feel bad about the ranking. I am just glad I have one!

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's a fact the piston concept is by far superior then DI yet the M16 is still at the top of the list.

This is purely a popularity for sure.

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
Put two people 1000 yards apart.

One armed with an AK-47.

The other armed with an M14/M1A.

Instructions are to engage and eliminate the opponent to determine which one has the top Battle Rifle.

Anybody wanna take any bets which one will win? GI2

·
Registered
3,997 Posts
It is just like any other poll. It can be skewed just by asking and omitting certain question and Criteria
Polls are never reliable
Oh Well the M14 is still"Aces" in my Book

·
Registered
30 Posts
...and the Steyr is listed because? As far as I can tell, its the only one listed with no significant use in armed conflict...

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
The AK-47 is #1 because it's accuracy is only average and it can unleach a wall of lead? Mean while the M14 is still being used by some front line units as a sniper rifle? That would appear to give the M14 far superior accuracy. As far a unleashing a wall of lead, the AK-47 bullet moves at a slower rate than the M14 or M16, and only unleashes at 600 rounds per minute. The M14 unleashes at 700-750 per minute. That sounds like more rounds moving faster down range creating a bigger wall of lead. That brings us to the other good reason to name the AK-47 to the top spot. It has inflicted more lethal results than any other weapon system ever created. I don't know about that one, I really haven't added all the lethal results up yet. I hope the author of this little rating system has because it comes down to this one issue and this one issue alone. By the way, give me the M14 at 1000 yards and give the other guy the AK-47. I wouldn't want him to get stuck with an inferior weapon.

·
Registered
6,385 Posts
Hollywood don't know it's head, from a hole in the ground.

Don't care much for what the media thinks about firearms.

·
Registered
144 Posts
The AUG? Are you sh**ing me...?

Has an AUG ever taken a life? The countries which have adopted it as their main rifle could be counted on one hand....

Don't get me wrong...I think it's a cool weapon, but come on.

Other than that, the only problem I have with the list is they really streched the definition of 'Battle Rifle'...m16, AK? Not 'Battle Rifles'. List FAIL

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
They don't even mention the Hk G3...That world class rifle has been fielded all over the planet, produced in 4 countries, and been in service with uberreliability in ALL conditions since the 60s.....Say what you will the G3 should have been mentioned.

I thought that episode was a joke.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Wanna bet the same show would rate a Glock over a 1911 as the best sidearm of all time ?

I have nothing against AK's, AR's, Glocks or ? in fact I own at least one of each but I also know quality in design and function when I see it and like the 1911, the M14 / M1A has been around for so long because it simply has no equal.

Now if you wanted to have a contest of most lead downrange for the least amount of money, then yes, go with the AK. That would be the only contest it would win, IMHO...

·
Registered
147 Posts
I would put the M14 and the M1 first and second. I really have nothing else to say except the AK is a battle proven rifle

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
The AUG has seen combat, but not like the others. The australians use it, and used it in east timor if I remember right. But by definition, The AUG, M16, and L85 are considered assault rifles. I think the AK made it by sheer numbers only. The bolt rifles for their time were state of the art, in new and more impressive ways to kill your enemy. My great uncle and my grand father both served in WWI, My granddad preferred the 1917, my uncle being a marine, preferred the springfield. I will say this even in his later years I wouldnt want the old gentleman shooting at me, at any range. The man is the weapon, the rifle is an implement to fulfill his assigned task.

·
Registered
193 Posts
The AUG has seen combat, but not like the others. The australians use it, and used it in east timor if I remember right. But by definition, The AUG, M16, and L85 are considered assault rifles. I think the AK made it by sheer numbers only. The bolt rifles for their time were state of the art, in new and more impressive ways to kill your enemy. My great uncle and my grand father both served in WWI, My granddad preferred the 1917, my uncle being a marine, preferred the springfield. I will say this even in his later years I wouldnt want the old gentleman shooting at me, at any range. The man is the weapon, the rifle is an implement to fulfill his assigned task.
I've also seen some combat footage of some middle eastern troops (Saudis or Egyptions, IIRC) spraying and praying with AUGs at insurgents. It qualified as comedy.

These lists are always bull****.

·
Retired
4,769 Posts
I never put much stock in these type of things as they are only one person's opinion as to which is best, etc. One criteria often used is "new and innovative" so as great a rifle as my beloved "03 Springfield is, the '03 is really just a slightly modified Mauser, and the same for the M14 being a modified M1 rifle.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts