M14 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Definitely a great start (and keeper for sure).

Ever go on forever about getting a 1911 .45? That was me - preference has always been shooting my revolver - 8 shot 4" 327PD (24 ounces empty, 28.5 loaded with 8 rounds 100gr. Pow'RBall .357 when carried) mainly using .38 special at the range. Super enjoyable and great gun to shoot for sure, very accurate, especially single action. Second preference is my main carry to remain proficient - HK USP Compact 9mm. Again - great shooter, accurate, DA/SA. (By the way, all this is in reference to handguns as my ALL time favorite shooter is rifle - the M1A Socom, always a blast!). HOWEVER - always have been intrigued by the 1911. Just holding one opened the door - definitely feels great.

So - spending countless hours online and seeing the massive range of 1911's from $500 - $3000 custom jobs can make the head spin. Shot a buddy's Kimber Eclipse Target with adjustable match sights - it was great. But again - would have to drop some $erious bank for that type of rig.

Then, Taurus comes out with the PT1911AL (AL for aluminum frame) w/o the rail version and I see and read nothing but great reviews about it. $569 (local gun shop) brand new with TWO 8 round mags, 32 ounces empty. Really cool two tone look to it. Probably looked at one every time local gun shop put one in the case but they often were gone within a week or so, and never saw a used one show up. After going through that 3-4 times over a period of months, finally jumped on one before it left in someones hands. Had a couple of hundred bucks in bonus cash cards (cash back from my credit card) to blow as well so it was a sale.

REMEMBER - I am looking for a range gun as I enjoy shooting, not a competition gun etc. I know I can always get a better 1911 as I get more serious. However, this platform also makes a great home defense gun and with its relatively low weight for a 1911, I would have no problem carrying it. I am already used to carrying my N-frame IWB 327PD (it is lighter than my HK by almost 4 ounces - that's almost a quarter pound!)

So back home with it and next night - field strip and give it a cleaning with Gunzilla BC-10 (I love this stuff, low odor, no hazardous chemicals, non flammable, natural chemicals -plants, no ammonia, no petroleum or water, non-corrosive, soap and water clean up, ie easy on the hands - most of all IT CLEANS GREAT, lubricates and protects). Clean frame, slide, barrel, guide rod and spring, etc. Clean magazines and magazine chamber with brush and dry cloth, no cleaning agent needed to get off residue. Light lube to specific areas and back together it went. Then, began working the slide back and releasing it just to work it over a bit. Slide frame fit is great. Trigger squeeze is crisp and even - SA is just a world of difference when it comes to shooting for those who shoot DA only. Ambi safety works with ease, mag release is extended - mags shoot right out the bottom. This is a full size gun so working the slide release is at the limit of my reach so I am not sure how this would play out with folks with smaller hands. Anyways, everything about the gun felt solid and well built - way more than I expected for its price range for sure. Well - hitting the range is the logical next step so two days later and I was there.

WOW, double WOW - everything about loading and handling and shooting the gun was a pleasant surprise. I tried to shoot the full scope of delivering rounds down range - ie slow and very deliberate, empty two full mags as fast as I could pull the trigger, sustained rate of fire at even 1 second interval, double taps (4 per mag) with only about 2-3 seconds between double tap sequences (ie pow pow, pause, pow pow, pause etc), looser grip, etc.

Main point was to put myself and gun in position to fail to feed or fail to eject. Well, I couldn't get it to do either, not even once after 200 rounds straight. 100 rounds of S&B 230gr. FMJ and 100 rounds Winchester 230gr. FMJ. 200 rounds usually the "break in" number for most autos so that was my goal for the evening. By the way - no hand fatigue/pain at all.

Trigger was crisp and clean and identical in terms of action every time. The gun feels very balanced in the hands when shooting. This made for accurate shots and great follow up shots too. Double taps were at times right on top of each other at 5 yrds. Most shooting done at 7yrds. No problem keeping tight groups in 5 inch diameter target pasted on face of silhouette target. Center mass with 2-4 inch groups at 15 yards attainable as well. Shooting at 5-15 yards was never a problem putting shots where I wanted to - again, I am not talking about 1" group comp shooting at 15-25 yards. This is just plain a joy to shoot as a range gun. I know I could easily reach out to 25 yards with it accurately. I could work my shots around and open up big singular holes in the target on purpose. I did not clean the gun at all during the 200 shot session - just loaded mags and sent rounds down range.

Wiped the gun down after shooting and it looks great.

Well, when it comes to the 1911 platform, I am hooked and glad to have been able to get into it at the price that I did. So - don't hesitate to check out the PT1911AL - lots of great extras (front and back strap texture etc) - for me, a great low price (with quality) way to break into the 1911 platform.

I will try to add to this thread to post about durability (ie how this thing will hold up as round count goes up).

Also - any PT1911AL (or just PT1911) and 1911 shooters alike - any things you have done to your pistol or things to look out for would be appreciated.

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
Awesome. Great report.

Sounds like a keeper, for sure.

The only concern for me is the tiny size of your pictures. I find them very hard to see. Am I the only one?

Maybe you could re-post them a BIT bigger?

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
You've got me all sold and all, where are the pics?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Pics...

Thanks for the response. Yeah - I thought I was inserting pictures but nothing shows up on my screen at all. I will try to figure out the inserting picture deal and get some normal sized pics posted.

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
Thanks for the response. Yeah - I thought I was inserting pictures but nothing shows up on my screen at all. I will try to figure out the inserting picture deal and get some normal sized pics posted.
I use photobucket. Free and easy.

Welcome aboard, by the way.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Pics

OK - here it goes. All pics taken after trip to range described in initial post. (Some anomalies due to photoshop smudge to blur certain SN info only other than that - totally untouched.) Definitely some nice features and details added for the price. Thanks for the advice on posting pics.

[/IMG]

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
Beautiful. There are lots of horror stories about the Taurus 1911's on the net, but everyone know who has one loves it. I'd change out the MIM parts for some Ed Brown stuff, but other than that, GTG.

Congrats!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Nice, thanks for the post. I've wanted one for a little while...I'm disappointed that Taurus hasn't jumped through the hoops and gotten it on the handgun roster here in CA. :(

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
Nice, thanks for the post. I've wanted one for a little while...I'm disappointed that Taurus hasn't jumped through the hoops and gotten it on the handgun roster here in CA. :(
Unfortunately it can't be added until they put a magazine disconnect and a legitimate loaded chamber indicator on it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Range Update

Second visit to the indoor range and things still going very very well. 200 rounds sent down range again this time too - another 100 rounds 230gr FMJ Winchester and also 100 rounds 230gr FMJ Federal.

Again shot a variety of distances and shot frequencies as well as two offset targets (one on head and one center mass on a Silhouette target) shooting a single shot at each (two shot set) very quickly.

No FTF or FTE this time around either. I did give the gun a cleaning after the first range visit so was shooting this second 200 rounds through a clean gun. After 400 rounds this is just getting more enjoyable to shoot. From 5 to 15 yards - again no problems hitting within 5" diameter shoot n see targets. At 5-7 yards groups are very tight. As mentioned above, one of the shooting sequences was at 5 yards with a 5" target at center mass and one on the head of a Silhouette target. I would shoot two shot sets, pow pow, one at head and one center mass landing within target each time for two entire 8 round magazines. Trigger is still crisp and indentical in terms of pull each shot.

Note: all shooting so far has been with the two factory Taurus mags that came with the gun.

Gun is holding up well (hopefully after 400 rounds right?). No noticeable problems seem to be surfacing at all.

This is turning out to be a real find for a 1911 at a great price in terms of a range gun that is accurate and reliable to shoot.

·
Registered
399 Posts
I absolutely love my Taurus PT1911. For me it is my AK47 equivalent pistol. It has shot every round that i have put through it. If there has been an issue it was because of a weak magazine spring. I love mine so much i named her Francesca.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Want is the deal with that funny looking hammer? Is that some kind of lock?

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
For a 4 year old necro bumped thread, the cool thing is the current retail price at Bud's is only $572.
m14brian
Got an email from Classicfirearms.com, they have these pistols for $499.99.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Taurus PT1911

For 2 years I shot a PT1911 in casual competition at the local club.
I did load 200gr lead target rounds and I found the Taurus to be the
most accurate and best feeling 1911 for the price.
I have seen lightly used ones go for $350. at some local gun stores.

I will say the same for the Taurus 92 and 99, 9mm's.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts