M14 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
7,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm talking about Earl and Bob Lee Swagger, the precision shooting Marine sniper characters, father (WWII) and son (VIetnam), created by Stephen Hunter. I've always found Hunter's series of books chronicling their fictional lives to be very good reading, and one proof of that is that Hollywood absolutely butchered everything I like about them in the movie "Shooter." I know where I'm coming from, but I'm wondering what forum members think of the books?

·
Registered
8 Posts
I love Stephen Hunter's Swagger books. I have read them all.

I would like to read a book about Bob Lee's grandfather, who was a sheriff in a small town. I think that would be neat to go back further in history as well as reading about Bob Lee Swagger's son like in the last book.

The worst part of the whole Shooter debacle is that Hunter, a Pulitzer prize winning film critic, had to grin and bear it and say nice stuff about the movie when interviewed prior to the movie's release. It was sad to watch.

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
I've read all of Hunter's SWAGGER books. The early ones are better written. As for the movie SHOOTER, I have rarely seen any movie do justice to a book. For example, read THE POSTMAN, which was a pretty good read, and compare the book to the KEVIN COSTNER MOVIE, which was a stinky turkey.
[;)
LAZ 1

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
I'm talking about Earl and Bob Lee Swagger, the precision shooting Marine sniper characters, father (WWII) and son (VIetnam), created by Stephen Hunter.
Earl was not a precision shooter. He was a gunfighter who knew how to shoot. Most of his exploits for winning the big medal were for close up combat, sheer grit, and overall bada$$ery.

Bob Lee was the sniper with some of the same skills as his father.

As far as the granddad, after reading Hot Springs do you really want to read about a racist, womanizing, drunk, crooked Sherriff who would beat his only son?? Hell's yeah!! I just wish Hunter would have kept his story staight with the two different verisons of Frenchy Short, from the Earl line of novels and the Second Saladin. In the later, he's a bad a$$ hero instead of a self serving, pompous ******* with a finer upbringing.

I've got one more book to go for his complete works and an fondly waiting on a new book.

·
Registered
342 Posts
I've only read Hunter's first book on Bob lee. I have watched the movie several times before I found the book. I agree the movie doesn't do the book justice. The movie Lonesome Dove was about the only one that did. The movie The Postman sucked, book was good.

·
Registered
7,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Earl was not a precision shooter. He was a gunfighter who knew how to shoot. Most of his exploits for winning the big medal were for close up combat, sheer grit, and overall bada$$ery.

Bob Lee was the sniper with some of the same skills as his father.

OK I thought of the Earl not being a sniper thing after I closed the laptop and have spent the day till now thinking "some guy like Chingon is gonna call me on that." GI1

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
ok i thought of the earl not being a sniper thing after i closed the laptop and have spent the day till now thinking "some guy like chingon is gonna call me on that." gi1

lol

·
Registered
7,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The one book in theh series I've yet to find is about Earl, from memory I think it's called 'Havana'- anyway Cuba is in the title. Is the rarity because it's not such a good book, or what is it I wonder?

·
Registered
330 Posts
I'm reading the two series in the same order that he wrote them. The last one I read was Havana.

I alternate between non-fiction and literature (on purpose, keeps me from getting burnt out on one or the other).

Since I just finished American Sniper (Chris Kyle, non-fiction), my next book is Pale Horse Coming (Earl Swagger series).

·
Registered
330 Posts
The one book in theh series I've yet to find is about Earl, from memory I think it's called 'Havana'- anyway Cuba is in the title. Is the rarity because it's not such a good book, or what is it I wonder?
I think I found mine in a book store in Denver. I'm sure you can pull it from amazon.com

·
Registered
7,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I think I found mine in a book store in Denver. I'm sure you can pull it from amazon.com
And having checked Amaze-on, I now realise I haven't read 'Dirty White Boys' either, thinking it was not part of the series. That'll make two good ones for the winter!

·
Registered
339 Posts
I just finished Soft Target, about Bob's previously unknown son from a tour in Nam, Ray Cruz. Not his best book but still a fun read. I also need to pick up Havanna sometime

·
Registered
342 Posts
How about a list of all the titles in order. For the whole Swagger family.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
Bob Lee Swagger Series

Point of Impact (1993)
Black Light (1996)
Time to Hunt (1998)
The 47th Samurai (2007)
Night of Thunder (2008)
I, Sniper (2009)
Dead Zero (2010)
The Third Bullet (January 2013)

Earl Swagger Series

Hot Springs (2000)
Pale Horse Coming (2001)
Havana (2003)

Ray Cruz

Dead Zero (2010)
Soft Target (2011)

Reactions: Sweets and 4Quangs

·
Registered
7,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I just finished Soft Target, about Bob's previously unknown son from a tour in Nam, Ray Cruz. Not his best book but still a fun read. I also need to pick up Havanna sometime
Just finished Soft Target myself, forunately reading just ahead of the major spoiler. GI1

So we now have 4 generations of Swaggers, two living and two dead, one of them still on active duty and one (the first) apparently too vicious unpleasant to be of interest- BUT with the possiblity of a redeeming history- and the middle two with lots of missing time that could yet be filled in. Mr Hunter has created an industry.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Great Characters! Excellent writing on stand up American gunfighters.

His early books were better, more detail, build up.

The new ones are good but seem to be lighter and faster to read, as he fills a contract almost.

I did enjoy the Cruz books. So he is back.

Personally I would enjoy going back beyond the 4 generations we know of. He spoke once of his ancestors, say frontier days, Indian wars, settling the country and so on. I would greatly enjoy different times and even harder men.

His books personify the riflemen culture I grew up in. I enjoy them a lot.

Btw don't forget his half brother!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Man, thinking about those books reminded me of one of my favorite fights. Earl was on the raid that went wrong and broke out the BAR and buzzsawed his way through the house.

Man after that, the BAR to me stood for bad ass rifle!

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
Great Characters! Excellent writing on stand up American gunfighters.

His early books were better, more detail, build up.

The new ones are good but seem to be lighter and faster to read, as he fills a contract almost.
I think it has more to do with today's technical jargon at his fingertips from the returning warfighter rather than him putting together a great story.

In the Bob Lee books he references a lot of the old shooters and their contribution to the shooting community as well as some of the TTPs of the era. He also changes the names of the Marine Sniper's to add realism (Carlos Hitchcock, Chuck Mackenzie).

In the Earl books he references a lot of the obscure rifle and pistol rounds as well as some of the technology at the time and some of the gunfighters of old.

In the new books its as if he's been consulting Chris Kyle, and to some extent some of the tech companies that are developing shooting aids, for authenticity.

I guess its an upgrade to his references. I thought the same thing with Clancy novels in that they were really good at first and his later books there was too much information. It was almost as if it was a lesson rather than a good read.

·
Registered
7,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Bob Lee Swagger Series

Point of Impact (1993)
Black Light (1996)
Time to Hunt (1998)
The 47th Samurai (2007)
Night of Thunder (2008)
I, Sniper (2009)
Dead Zero (2010)
The Third Bullet (January 2013)

Earl Swagger Series

Hot Springs (2000)
Pale Horse Coming (2001)
Havana (2003)

Ray Cruz

Dead Zero (2010)
Soft Target (2011)
You don't have Dirty White Boys on those lists. Was I right the first time, about that not being a Swagger book? Amazon may have misled me....

EDIT: and to answer my own question, it is not part of the Swagger series, although it branches off from Hot Springs. Stupid Amazon, it's almost as if they'll let anyone review books there. GI1

1 - 20 of 21 Posts