M14 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
Please refrain from using the Firing Line as a substitute for each individuals responsibility. Any threads asking for a value will be deleted with this Sticky.

Also if you should decide to answer one of those questions, please refrain from giving a value. Without seeing the item, you can be doing an injustice to either the buyer or seller by stating a value.

You can research the Sold Classified Listings (SPF) section below here which has over 1,600 listings, or other auction sites across the internet to come up with a general price for an item(s).

A person I know has a m1 with a star light scope mounted on it. I know some of this was done during the Vietnam war. My question is how good is the scope?

·
Registered
369 Posts
Unless it has been refurbished I'd say it is probably working crap. This is old tech (gen. 1) and it will be worn, thus working even less well.

If you'd buy it to actually use it - worthless.
If you buy it 'cuz it is cool history - priceless!

I have no idea on what a reasonable price would be though :)

·
Registered
7,441 Posts
Has to have some collector value, surely? Except that the M1 and the starlight don't easily go together, historically speaking.

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
I bought one several years back. I haven't mounted it on my M1A (my old Bushnelll is not coming off that rifle unless the scope breaks) but I've carried it around outside to see how it works.

I could use it just fine (down in the back lot around the trees it would allow me to see/hit whatever was required. We did notice something funny about it though, my youngest son cannot see the aiming point. The aiming point is a horizontal light green line with a vertical light green line below the horizontal line. He swears up an down he cannot see it, so it is worthless to him for night time coyote hunting (we were going to put it on an AR15 of his (20" HBAR clone.)

Not like the images you see on TV, but workable up close for me.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
I used one in Nam and for the time they were great. I would say you could see good enough to tell a person at a 100 meters or so.
I used it for OP duty and night time sniping. It caught the NVA trying to sneak up on us many times and gave use enough warning to break up their night time attacks which is real good when you are in the boonies.
I can't say for sure because the NVA carried off the bodies when they could but believe I toke out a dozen or so over the time I was there.
Greg

·
Registered
369 Posts
Is your son colorblind, or similar? I seem to remember that may pose difficulties in certain reticles.

·
Registered
3,382 Posts
These were fun to use in the Nat Guard, . . . out in the LP/OP, . . . watching deer and other animals.

Used to really laugh if they caught one of the guys taking a whizz in the dark. The stream showed up like a shower of light, . . . USN3

May God bless,
Dwight

1 - 8 of 8 Posts