M14 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Fifty years ago, on November 21, 1970, an approximately 50-man detachment of highly-trained US Army Special Forces soldiers, launched a raid on the prisoner-of-war camp in Son Tay, North Vietnam, about 37 clicks west of Hanoi, which purportedly held a number of Americans. However, brilliantly conceived and carried out, the mission failed in its primary objective, as there were no prisoners present in the camp, having been moved sometime earlier. The ground team did manage to engage and kill over 200 enemy soldiers, including some Russian advisers who happened to be present in the camp. I had the privilege to meet several individuals who took part in this operation, and I raise a glass of cognac today to each and every one involved in the planning & execution thereof. Please, take the time to readtime to read about it, as it is QUITE A STORY.:

God bless our veterans and active duty soldiers, sailors, airmen and Marines and, ESPECIALLY, the men of our Special Operations Forces.

58753_20160114_085840313.jpg

Registered
Hats off to S.F. I remember when that was announced, I was a freshman in high school!!! -Lloyd 馃嵒

Reactions: kabanchik

Registered
As close as I've gotten to one of those little carbines they carried. not the right upper, not the right rings. And using the optic takes some getting used to since you don't really look through it. You see the dot with your right eye, you see the target with your left eye and your brain "puts" the dot on the target. Different.

Registered
Discussion Starter #4
I ALWAYS loved the XM177E2, since I first encountered them while serving with 1/7 CAV in the RVN. Here's a clone that I cobbled together, utilizing parts gathered from Brownell's. Not a Colt, unfortunately, but as close as I can get:

DSC00054 (2).JPG

Reactions: Cowtownscout

Registered
Fifty years ago, on November 21, 1970, an approximately 50-man detachment of highly-trained US Army Special Forces soldiers, launched a raid on the prisoner-of-war camp in Son Tay, North Vietnam, about 37 clicks west of Hanoi, which purportedly held a number of Americans. However, brilliantly conceived and carried out, the mission failed in its primary objective, as there were no prisoners present in the camp, having been moved sometime earlier. The ground team did manage to engage and kill over 200 enemy soldiers, including some Russian advisers who happened to be present in the camp. I had the privilege to meet several individuals who took part in this operation, and I raise a glass of cognac today to each and every one involved in the planning & execution thereof. Please, take the time to readtime to read about it, as it is QUITE A STORY.:

God bless our veterans and active duty soldiers, sailors, airmen and Marines and, ESPECIALLY, the men of our Special Operations Forces.

View attachment 437598

I met Col. Arthur "Bull" Simons a few years before he passed. I was in a JROTC unit and provided the Color Guard for an event that he attended. After the ceremony he walked over and thanked us and shook our hands. I was well aware of the Son Tay raid and told him how much I admired his service and efforts to get some of our guys out. We talked for a few minutes and he went about his business. He seemed like a genuinely quiet, unassuming person with integrity and honesty, the kind of person I've always felt a hero should be.

Registered
All, I have the honor of knowing many of these men. I can tell you from the time I have spent with them that they are amazing human beings and warriors. Here is a video that we made when I gave them GAU-5A/A鈥檚 in the same configuration they carried on the raid (non NFA).

This was absolutely my proudest moment in the history of my being involved in industry, All the actors you see in the bush are active duty SF or Rangers that volunteered to commemorate this event.

Best regards,
Steve Troy
SOPMOD M14

1 - 6 of 6 Posts