M14 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey gang,

Thought I would post a mess of pictures on a Standard M-14 I picked up as a starving college student back in the day. My parents gave me enough cash to buy two semesters worth of college text books, and I ended up buying this rifle. I scrounged for used books the whole year and ended up pulling it off. They would have killed me otherwise. I told them some lame story on how I "acquired" it and I was good to go. Came out of the box as you see it, including the walnut upper-hand guard, except for the sling and cheek-piece. The fiberglass upper was in the box as well. Shoots great and the action is as smooth as silk.

Enjoy,

Mike

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
That's quite a prize and I love the pics.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Wow

Thanks, now I am depressedGI2 I shoulda went to collegeGI6 Congradulations!!

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Great rifle, excellent pictures, thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
6,577 Posts
Yay for lying to your parents.

Reactions: 66Fastback

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Another weird thing about this gun is when I called SAI cutomer service about the 1 of 100 stamping on the receiver, they only said there are no records of any stamping like that on any of their receivers. The customer service rep. (Patty?) left me another email a few days later, said she talked to a few people who have been around a long time and they also said no receivers were marked like this. Their thoughts were that it was done after it left their facility.

Trust me, it came out of the box like this. I never really thought about the extra mark until years later someone at a range asked me why I put that on the receiver. Told him I didn't and it came that way. I just thought every gun had a mark like this. 77 of 100, 78 of 100, etc... He still thought I had it done somehow.

·
Registered
371 Posts
It would be safe to say that over the interim time period your rifle has appreciated more in value than those textbooks. Sometimes life's best lessons aren't necessarily learned in the classroom. Nice looking rifle Lerenis.

·
Registered
246 Posts
+1 on what BTD76251 said about the rifle being a much better investment than the textbooks. I hate selling my books back after a semester just to get raked by my school. What year did you originally buy this rifle? What year was it made?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ha! You guys are right about the textbooks. You pay $150 for one book, they buy it back at the end of the semester for $22.50. Unless you wish to keep it.

In answering your questions about the rifle. SAI says the receiver was made in 1980-81. I confirmed this with them because they had to pull it from their paper records. I bought it new (Heavy sigh -----> $700) when I lived out in So. California in 1989.

I had someone say online that SAI pulled a bunch of even hundred numbered receivers, marked them like this one, and offered them to buyers for a $849 premium. I took this information with a grain of salt because if SAI can't confirm they even marked receivers like this, how could someone (online) know how much they were going for? Unless someone has a price list from back in the day to verify, there is no other way to know. In 1989, you could have had a nice Super Match for what $1250 or so? I could be wrong but it has to be around there somewhere. If I paid $700 + $849 (premium) = $1549. Paying that much for a standard back then would have been insane. My guess is SAI had plans for these receivers but at a price point like that, they must have realized few would move. In the end, someone at SAI must have said build them up and get them out of here. Different said there were around a hundred or so of these, and they were all built around 1989. Mine and one other are the only two he has run across. Other than that, Lee would be the only other person I can think of who would have any other information on these receivers.

PS: My favorite picture is the one with the little Winchester stamp in the trigger area of the stock. I rub a little oil into the stock once and a while to keep it from drying out, but someone a long time ago must have loved this USGI stock. It looked spectacular when I opened the box back in '89. So if there is one of you vets out there who lovingly rubbed this stock for the better part of your enlistment, I thank you. I'll try to keep it looking as good when I pass it on.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts