M14 Forum banner

The Otis Cleaning System versus the Cleaning Rod System.

8280 8
Please explain these two methods of cleaning th M1A:

The Otis Cleaning System versus the Cleaning Rod System in terms of

1) Ease of use
2) Effectiveness
3) Risk of damaging rifle in any way (should you do something careless I mean)

I already know that cost is the same, since teh Otis 308 rifle cleaning system is about the same as a one peice cleaning rod. If i am missing something cost wise let me know.

THe fact that the otis kit is compact is a strong plus in my book, but i cant see how you can effectively push the brushes through the barrel using a flexible item.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
394 Posts
Tom Will said:
Please explain these two methods of cleaning th M1A:

The Otis Cleaning System versus the Cleaning Rod System in terms of

1) Ease of use
2) Effectiveness
3) Risk of damaging rifle in any way (should you do something careless I mean)

I already know that cost is the same, since teh Otis 308 rifle cleaning system is about the same as a one peice cleaning rod. If i am missing something cost wise let me know.

THe fact that the otis kit is compact is a strong plus in my book, but i cant see how you can effectively push the brushes through the barrel using a flexible item.
Hey Tom!

I live in San Jose!

To answer your question, I use the Otis Kit and I find it to be the BEST!

#1: Always clean your rifle from "the action to the bore", in the same direction that the round would travel, you don't want to drag crap back through the barrel.

#2. The otis cleaning kit allows you to just "pull" the brush (and patches) down the barrel, very fast, easy and efficient.

#3. Its compact!

The best cleaning kit I have used...Just my $.02

Triggerman

·
Registered
519 Posts
Hi fellows,
I'm in San Jose too!
Ditto on the Otis review. I have been a big fan of Bore Snakes for years but now I like the Otis kits more. I believe they do a superior job, and there is less worry about old dirt and grit because you toss the patches out as opposed to washing the bore snakes every so often.
Their compactness also makes them easy to toss in a range bag. I haven't had to try to remove a stuck case or obstruction yet but Otis kits are supposed to be up to that task as well.
Still like the GI chamber brush for my M1A, though.

·
Registered
4,586 Posts
The Otis kits are the best I have ever used. The cable will not damage the barrel in any way so you don't need a guide. The patches allow you up to 6 pulls per patch, always giving you a clean surface. The brushes are nice too. The kit itself is very effeciant and lightweight, and don't forget compactness. I take one to the range and usually will swab the barrel a few times to avoid to much crap to be building up in the bore.
I still use the M14 chamber brush, and I keep a M14 cleaning kit in the butstock just in case! 8O
I do not like boresnakes because, unless you wash the thing after each pull, you are depositing shavings and fouling from the last time you pulled!
Shadow

·
Banned
572 Posts
OK. I guess I am the one that has to be different.
I like the otis kits a little and don't really see how they could do any harm but when you clean as many guns as I do they are a pain in the tail! There is NOTHING wrong with pushing a patch down from the muzzle. It's not gonna hurt a thing.
With the otis you first have to feed the thing down the bore then attack the patch or brush and pull it back up. With a rod you just push the patch down and it falls out the chamber and that's it. Half the time and it's done.

I cleaned my rifle a few times with the otis and after fumbling with it for nearly an hour running wet and dry patches through the bore till it was clean I gave up on it.

For those concerned about muzzle wear then I don't understand it a bit. How are you gonna keep the flexible otis off the muzzle?
At least with a good dewey, stainless or coated rod, you have control over it either with a guide or with your fingers. You have no control over where that cable rubs.

I guess after selling lots of both and hearing complaints and praises from the customers and using both myself in the shop that I just had to make up my mind which is better. The Dewey cleaning rods are.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I picked an Otis at the last gun show, wished I would have picked one up sooner. This kit is AWESOME!!!

In my opinion, the best cleaning kit on the market.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Why not use both? :D :D :D

I've got an Otis kit in the range bag and use it when necessary if I'm not close to the workbench at home for a while. Works well for my M1A, Garand, 03/A3, and 03 Springfield. I guess the downside for me is always having to mess with the patches.

At home, I'm with M14dan, I use my Dewey, bore guide and USGI chamber brush because it's less trouble, faster (for me) and I think (entirely subjective on my part - a feeling - no facts) that I can get my rifle cleaner.

This works for me, YMMV. :D

db

·
Registered
969 Posts
Clean barrel

First cleaning the barrel should be done breach out. The bore snake
gets the dust out, but the Otis will clean it like it should be done.
We were at a shoot and a friend was using the bore snake to clean
his barrel, when another friend said to try his Otis cleaning kit. A world of difference.

·
Registered
317 Posts
I started using Otis cleaning kits when I got to Iraq in 03' since they were handed out from supply. I dont use any other kind of kit to clean any fiream, only Otis.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.