M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've always loved the looked of the full sized traditional m14 but after getting a decent amount of trigger time behind this setup it's now my favorite m14 and I shoot the best with it by far. Before archangel came out with their cqb stock there wasn't many options for an aftermarket m14 stock with a pistol grip and adjustable stock that was affordable and light weight. I've always loved the looks of the sage ebr stock but the price and weight was too much. The archangel cqb stock is kinda ugly but it handles like a dream and doesn't add weight. Without a magazine it weighs 9.58 pounds and that's with the aimpoint. I replaced the cheesey pistol grip with a Magpul moe AK grip which is much better. The stock needed some fitting which allowed me to get a super tight fit. It doesn't seem like many other guys have bought this stock so I thought I'd give it the props it deserves
Sky Furniture Ecoregion Table Outdoor bench

Wood Boats and boating--Equipment and supplies Air gun Shotgun Metal

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Road surface Asphalt

Camouflage Air gun Military camouflage Machine gun Trigger

Air gun Machine gun Trigger Gun barrel Wood

·
Registered
311 Posts
Enjoy! Not my thing but that's exactly why there's more than one flavor of ice cream

·
Registered
M1A SOCOM 16
45 Posts
WhI have rail are you using for your Aimpoint and does that have an attachment on the Archangel stock specifically? Would you mind posting some closeup pics of the mount and attachment points?

Reactions: boomer1983

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
WhI have rail are you using for your Aimpoint and does that have an attachment on the Archangel stock specifically? Would you mind posting some closeup pics of the mount and attachment points?
I'm using an arms 18 mount on the receiver. I wanted to mount the aimpoint as low as possible so I ordered these cheap 30mm aimpoint rings which I wasn't sure if they would work or not but surprisingly they were perfect. The amount of space between the aimpoint and the rail is about as thin as a piece of paper. The rings lack a quick release but that was an acceptable trade off to get it this low and it doesn't interfere with ejection
Camera lens Camera accessory Reflex camera Cameras & optics Lens

Font Plastic bag Symbol Transparency Carmine

Automotive tire Automotive design Bumper Automotive exterior Electric blue

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nice shooting boomer and a cool range. what state are you in?
I'm in Colorado. I discovered that range about twenty years ago when I was 18 and have been going there ever since. It's BLM land that not many people know about so I always have it to myself. I just recently bought that folding shooting bench to be able to do some proper shooting cause there is zero outdoor ranges in the Denver metro area

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I couldn't agree more with the title, I've grown to absolutely love the red dot on my rifle and hardly find the desire to really pursue the magnification itch for now. What zero did you settle on for yours?
I started off with the goal of having a magnified optic and bought a vortex 1-6 (I think it was the strike eagle) but whenever I would shoot the battery compartment cap would fall off from the recoil. The first time it happened I thought maybe I just didn't have it on tight enough but then it happened the next time I took it out. The threads were such that after tightening it to certain point the threads would let go. Maybe it was just a defective unit but for an almost $400 optic that was unacceptable and thankfully big R refunded me for it even though it was was over the deadline for returning an item. That experience made me realize that getting a rugged scope with good glass is an expensive endeavor so I went with the trusted old aimpoint. If I need to take a precise shot at something at distance I have a scoped Tikka 270 that weighs less than my AR. I sighted the aimpoint in at 100 yards

·
Registered
797 Posts
I started off with the goal of having a magnified optic and bought a vortex 1-6 (I think it was the strike eagle) but whenever I would shoot the battery compartment cap would fall off from the recoil. The first time it happened I thought maybe I just didn't have it on tight enough but then it happened the next time I took it out. The threads were such that after tightening it to certain point the threads would let go. Maybe it was just a defective unit but for an almost $400 optic that was unacceptable and thankfully big R refunded me for it even though it was was over the deadline for returning an item. That experience made me realize that getting a rugged scope with good glass is an expensive endeavor so I went with the trusted old aimpoint. If I need to take a precise shot at something at distance I have a scoped Tikka 270 that weighs less than my AR. I sighted the aimpoint in at 100 yards
Ya know it's funny you highlight these issues with the vortex. My primary arms ($400) LPVO has been a darn headache since day one. I'm actually pretty suspect it's been party/mostly the optic and not my rifle having issues. Awesome company, but after scope #2 acting up I cant trust it. One day I'd like to think I will afford a better lpvo choice, but until than it's highly likely this will be the path of least resistance. LPVO will exist elsewhere on an AR that doesn't eat optics.

I have mine sitting on a 25/300 but I usually just use MPBR and this time it worked out to an exact zero. It's just so easy to set it and forget it that it's hard not to love it, especially setup like you've got for quick shots.

Those aimpoint rings look nice and low, heck it looks the same or lower than my warne QD low.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Did you build that yourself?
Shuff built the Mini-G. I bought a BM-59 folder off this site something like 5 years ago, swapped the two-arm folder for a Reese one-arm, lowered the channel until the action fit snug, and plugged the magazine gap. I still need to lower the channel a bit more so the lever arm doesn't hit the stock while firing. I actually am about to sell it for another project.

Reactions: boomer1983

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Very nice. I built mine with a 22" barrel, E2 stock, Vicker's Sling, ARMS 18, and an EoTech. Unfortunately my pictures aren't good. Hoping to have something better soon.
That's a sweet looking setup. Is the height over bore/cheek weld manageable when shooting it? Before I put the aimpoint on mine I tried out one of my holosun 510's which has the reticle at the same height as the eotech and I couldn't get a good cheek weld. I never shot it with the holosun so it could've handled better than I imagined

·
Registered
903 Posts
That's a sweet looking setup. Is the height over bore/cheek weld manageable when shooting it? Before I put the aimpoint on mine I tried out one of my holosun 510's which has the reticle at the same height as the eotech and I couldn't get a good cheek weld. I never shot it with the holosun so it could've handled better than I imagined
Manageable, yes. It's more of a chin weld than a cheek weld. It's serviceable, but not optimal. It still handles fast and lets me shoot with both eyes open.

When I have some more disposable income, my plan is to is to get a low power variable optic with a true 1x, and mount it as low as I can get it.

·
Registered
Custom service rifle builder
8,621 Posts
I know I've put this up before, it's a hammer out to 800 yards or so.
Plant Grass Air gun Shotgun Gun accessory

I do wish McMillan was still making this stock. It folds on the left side and makes a nice short package. It's an LRB M25, serial number 10001, the first production M25 made. It was actually still in the prototype stage (the first five production M25 receivers were) and still has a scope mount groove on the left side, but no mount boss or screw hole. LRB also made a hand full of earlier M25 receiver prototypes and a couple with different rail attachment points. The barrel is a medium weight chrome lined Criterion. Some chrome lined barrels are quite accurate. The bipod is a Bobro which was copied by GGG. This version was used during Army trials of the FN SCAR 17. The scope is a TS12 from US Optics. I haven't had a chance to try out this scope yet. I did my original testing with a Leupold MK4.

·
Registered
879 Posts
Looking very nice - but I am just not a fan of anything M14 -shortened. I am just fixated on the normal 22" barrels and USGI flash hiders. One of these days, I will be able to mount a ventilated cover - they just look so sexy.

I am wondering now if I can router some normal covers to look like the ventilated ones.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts