M14 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I realized that I haven't posted an intro, so here it goes. I finally got a M1A (scout squad) last month. I've been wanting one of these for years, and finally made the decision to pull the trigger,as it were.
By way of background, I'm a retired (2008) Marine Infantryman Master Sergeant --also PMI since '92 and Combat Marksmanship Instructor since '06. I've got tons of experience shooting the M16/M4 as well as the AK in peace and war (being on a training team for the Iraqi Army had me doing things that I haven't done since I was a Sergeant). I always wanted to have a chance on the shooting team, but deployment schedules precluded it -- I was a 12th award expert (never below 230 on the old range), and thought with instruction, I could be competitive. I had a chance to shoot the M14 once when I was out on a MEU - I was tasked with training the ship's security force in how to fight with the rifle, and really liked it despite my initial reservations of it being an "old style" battle rifle. Fast forward to deer season in northern Wisconsin last year - I was using a bolt action rifle with a scope, and we were doing a drive. I realized pretty quickly that if a deer did jump up within 50 yards or so, there would be no way I could get the rifle up, acquire the target, and shoot (and make a follow on shot if needed) fast enough to fill my freezer. I had been thinking of getting a AR or AK style rifle for 3 gun, and it dawned on me that the 7.62 (.308) is a respectable deer caliber. Thus, the M1A since it could fill both roles if I got a 5 round mag for hunting. I ended up getting a few 20 rounders and 1 5 round CMI mags. It came with a 10 round mag, which I really don't know what to do with.
So I did some research, and chose the Scout Squad since the barrel length is useful for range work, the woods of northern Wisconsin, and of course if the Russians ever parachute into my AO......
I haven't shot my M1A yet, but I'm happy with the ergonomics, and have spent several hours "snapping in" with it. I was surprised at how dirty it came from the factory. I imagine they test fire it (as any responsible manufacturer would), but I wonder how many rounds they use to QC it.
Anyway, that's my intro. The personal weapon range on the base I work at (Fort McCoy) opens next month, and I'm looking forward to putting some rounds through it. The only decision I've got left is whether to zero it at 100 or 200 yards. I'm leaning toward 200, but any suggestions are welcome.

Scott

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Hey MSgt. Congrats on the scout. I love that rifle although I own a standard. Sounds like you have a plan for it too. I was a Marine 98-05. 0311. Give us a range report. Did you get walnut or synthetic?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Semper Fi, brothers!
I got the walnut stock, I like the look. I used to be an 0311 many moons ago. I retired from 3rd LAR in 29 Palms. Used to be a scout / LAV crew , machine gunner (with the M60-I still call the 240 the new machine gun, but I love it!-the original FN ones, not so much with the domestic ones) and TOW gunner.

·
Retired Admin
I lost all of my rifles & handguns in a mishap on Rio Grande when the barge hit a sandbar and sank.
19,130 Posts
Welcome on board Scott, this here Gun Board is full of info on our beloved M14 battlerifle. Enjoy the site and post often. Thank you for your service to our country, America is better off because of you. DI5

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Welcome to the forum from NorCal. Sounds like you have things in hand. Thanks for your service.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.