M14 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
In the gilded halls of Valhala
13,515 Posts
I don't think the nra should be dividing it's base and the poster should be fired.

That being said in that photo I see a mako stock with shotgun recoil pad and think....

....well ill let you decide.

I think open carry should be about defensive carry or so that you can get from point a to point b with your rifle.

Walking around with a rifle by yourself or even with one or two others is not safe. You need a rifle squad.othereise you have done nothing more than paint a target on yourself.

That being said... I don't think we'd have mass shootings in the same location as these guys open carrying.

·
Registered
990 Posts
I think there is such a thing as using your common sense - and being aware that your actions in public help form a lot of opinions whenever guns are involved. We are trying to win over independent hearts and minds to support and vote for our beliefs - not to intimidate or frighten them into supporting MORE Gun Control. A discretely worn pistol on the hip is one thing. Combat gear in a non-battle setting is a bit unsettling to the grasseaters - and unfortunately, we need their votes, too. Too many people enjoy "shocking" others by exercising their rights - look at the Gay parades in San Francisco. Think they are making any points with mainstream America?

I certainly support the right to carry, open or concealed totally - "To keep and bear arms" means "to own and carry weapons". And we now have that in 45 states. But shocking the neighborhood gentry down at Starbucks with a slung M4 and cammies isn't going to help us roll back anti-gun sentiment. Starbucks was tolerant of both CCW and Open Carry - until they saw that the people with M4 rifles were frightening off their core customers - then they went the other way. This is not an easy one to answer. But if you want respect, you must act respectable. CC

Let's not lose the newly won Right of open carry by convincing people we are belligerent, dangerous looking idiots. Require that the RIGHT be acknowledged and accepted as universal, but behave reasonably and responsibly. And the way for that to happen is for us to police each other. CC

·
Registered
585 Posts
Oddly enough I find myself in agreement with the NRA. I couldn't care less who carries what and where but that's just me and I'm pretty easy going about such things. Not everyone is and those who aren't comfortable are able to persuade those in power much more effectively than those with rifles slung over their shoulder.

Plain and simple they are using the wrong strategy for this situation and I won't be at all surprised when OC of any weapon is banned down there.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Also agree with Col. Colt.

The analogy to the gay parades is pretty apt. Shocking the mainstream just because you can doesn't really win hearts and minds, even pro 2A hearts and minds.

I think it's just an incredibly stupid way to get a point across.

BTW, we are trying to get open carry passed in SC, the Gov. indicated she would sign it if it did pass, but even in a very pro 2A SC this kind of stunt would raise eyebrows.

Wet

·
Registered
4,163 Posts
Take cover.....

Biting my tongue.....afraid to jump in after the last thread like this got the thumpers fired up....

Going to sit back watch this one from a safe zone...should be another Valid posts vs the hardcore if not comical posts....

Ready on the right....ready on the left....ALL ready on the firing line...POST!

; )

·
Registered
4,163 Posts
I don't think the nra should be dividing it's base and the poster should be fired.

That being said in that photo I see a mako stock with shotgun recoil pad and think....

....well ill let you decide.

I think open carry should be about defensive carry or so that you can get from point a to point b with your rifle.

Walking around with a rifle by yourself or even with one or two others is not safe. You need a rifle squad.othereise you have done nothing more than paint a target on yourself.

That being said... I don't think we'd have mass shootings in the same location as these guys open carrying.
They would most likely inflict more damage upon themselves and the public than the mass shooter......wonder how much active shooter instruction they have under their belts?....open carry is to protect ones self....not be a hero while brandishing a rifle with umpteen tactical aftermarket accessories now sold at Wal-Mart....

OH CRAP.....I just jumped in.......belay my last post.......; )

·
Registered
151 Posts
It seems the NRA is making a habit of this. Right or wrong it is a dangerous thing for the NRA to pick and choose what parts of our rights they support.
I know a lot of guys who have basically said screw the NRA because they dont support belt fed guns either.

·
Cranky Old Vietnam Vet
10,663 Posts
I think there is such a thing as using your common sense - and being aware that your actions in public help form a lot of opinions whenever guns are involved. We are trying to win over independent hearts and minds to support and vote for our beliefs - not to intimidate or frighten them into supporting MORE Gun Control. A discretely worn pistol on the hip is one thing. Combat gear in a non-battle setting is a bit unsettling to the grasseaters - and unfortunately, we need their votes, too. Too many people enjoy "shocking" others by exercising their rights - look at the Gay parades in San Francisco. Think they are making any points with mainstream America?

I certainly support the right to carry, open or concealed totally - "To keep and bear arms" means "to own and carry weapons". And we now have that in 45 states. But shocking the neighborhood gentry down at Starbucks with a slung M4 and cammies isn't going to help us roll back anti-gun sentiment. Starbucks was tolerant of both CCW and Open Carry - until they saw that the people with M4 rifles were frightening off their core customers - then they went the other way. This is not an easy one to answer. But if you want respect, you must act respectable. CC

Let's not lose the newly won Right of open carry by convincing people we are belligerent, dangerous looking idiots. Require that the RIGHT be acknowledged and accepted as universal, but behave reasonably and responsibly. And the way for that to happen is for us to police each other. CC
Aren't those...'gay parades'...by definition...Open Carry?

GI5

CAVman in WYoming

·
Registered
8,318 Posts
Creating problems where none existed

As I mentioned in the thread about this yesterday the only thing they've accomplished is getting laws and regulations passed where none were in place before and my same reply to these boneheads for starting problems and getting guns banned were there were no restrictions is still in effect "Smooth Move There , Jethro"!!

·
Registered
94 Posts
I think there is such a thing as using your common sense - and being aware that your actions in public help form a lot of opinions whenever guns are involved.....if you want respect, you must act respectable.

Col. Colt is spot on. Well said.

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
It seems the NRA is making a habit of this. Right or wrong it is a dangerous thing for the NRA to pick and choose what parts of our rights they support.
I know a lot of guys who have basically said screw the NRA because they dont support belt fed guns either.
Surprise, surprise, the NRA is on the side of the licensed carry in Texas, instead of this only form of unlicensed carry allowed there.

Hmm, Texas, like most states, uses NRA instructors for the licensing process.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
I too have to agree with The Col and the NRA-This is not the way to win the hearts and minds of those who could be swayed otherwise. I personally equate this to burning the flag. Just because you have the right to freedom of expression, doesn't mean you should burn the flag just to prove you have the right to do so.

Let's be real, if your sitting in a restaurant with your family and a heard of AR/Shotgun/deer rifle toting meatheads walk in, wouldn't it make you a little nervous. I can assure you that it concerns me. Not because I think they are going to go postal, but because I don't trust their safety awareness/practices. Just think about all of the stupidity you have seen at the range----yep, same guys. Sooner or later, one of these guys will accidentally discharge a weapon in a public place and it will get more press than Columbine.

Yes, I agree, these guys are going to do more harm than good to our cause.

Just my 2cw

Reactions: mumfomc

·
Banned
982 Posts
I am an NRA member.

They need to stop with the division of firearms owners. They simply could have not spoken about this and showed silent dissent.

I do not agree with how these people are going about their activism . They do it in an unorganized fashion and accomplish nothing more than "displays of automatic assault weapons" as one article out it.

·
Registered
5,679 Posts
+1 what Dredsen said. If/when SHTF arrives, showtime won't be no show & tell or amateur hour. Common sense, common sense . . . .

·
Registered
151 Posts
I am an NRA member.

They need to stop with the division of firearms owners. They simply could have not spoken about this and showed silent dissent.

I do not agree with how these people are going about their activism . They do it in an unorganized fashion and accomplish nothing more than "displays of automatic assault weapons" as one article out it.
I called the NRA today and surprise surprise I got no answer. Sent them a nice little email politely letting them know they should not be dividing the firearms owners. When the only realistic Pro 2A group is not backing the right they are there to back they have outlived their usefulness. I asked that they please remove me as a member and instructor and for goodness sake quit sending me junk mail.
Please understand me correctly. I disagree with their methods. I disagree with the idea of open carry with an AR or AK or 870. But as stupid as it may be, they are well within that right in their state and the NRA should support it or stay out of it entirely.
Just my 2. But then again I get insulted and called a "thumper"haha.

I also realize that the NRA does not care about my money or my view. I have no delusions that they would care about one member.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Agree!

I agree with Col. Colt 100%. The "In your face" part of open carry offends the folks who are in the middle of the debate. It causes our side to lose votes to support us keeping our guns rights.

I just don't care too much for gays. I also really don't care what the butt buddies do in private. Just don't want to see it done openly in front of me.

The Strawstalker, behind enemy lines in Liberal Colorado.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts