M14 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
The only problem I have ever seen...if your tall like I am and hold the rifle off hand in a straight arm position, you get a hot shell once in a while.....other than that. No issues.

·
Registered
126 Posts
No problems with the new AR-15, the old M16A1 would put brass down your collar when in the prone.

M1A, no problems.

M1, sometimes a piece of brass comes back and bounces off my hat.

Randy

·
Registered
61 Posts
A lefty can run the rifle more efficiently than a right handed operator in regards to the op-rod handle.

For shooting slow at a range stationary, its a wash. For anything more dynamic with malfunction drills, etc - advantage lefty.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
A lefty can run the rifle more efficiently than a right handed operator in regards to the op-rod handle.

For shooting slow at a range stationary, its a wash. For anything more dynamic with malfunction drills, etc - advantage lefty.
And that seems to be the case with most rifles. I get a chuckle when I see lefties post about wanting a lefty rifle (so they can be just as disadvantaged as us righties).

I once found a used left handed Remington 1100 type shotgun for sale. The price was fair and I had the cash, but walked away to avoid my impulse buy mode. It was gone the next day. I still regret that one.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
I can shoot just as well left or right handed. I find with automatic weapons that left handed seems to be the easiest way to shoot them.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
M14 works great for left hand shooters. I ignore the bolt stop and use the op rod handle to drop the bolt. I think that left hand M14 shooters actually have a slight advantage!

·
Registered
3,800 Posts

It's a lot more tiring shooting lefty in the sling positions. Slowfire prone is much more physically draining since you have to stretch and roll outward and reach over the top of the rifle to release the bolt.

·
Registered
403 Posts
I have to shoot rifles lefty. I can do the M14 style OK as well as the AR. I don't think shooting them LH is any advantage, but then I'm right handed and don't function well with the left hand. I don't remember getting hit with my own brass, but I often catch brass from the guy on my left during standing.

The M1 is a wonderful rifle and I love shooting them; however, it is not a LH gun. We work around it well enough. I forgot my SLED once and slow fire prone was not pretty. I started shooting HP with the Garand and I did pretty good with it. Some where along the way I started "cheating" by using the 2 round clip for rapid fires; it was a lot easier than the LH dance with a regular clip. Now they've changed the rules for loading (override the bolt on top of the 2 rounds in a reg. clip) and I've had to relearn the LH dance while the line waits.

I watched a guy shoot the '03 LH in rapid fire. He was really good and it was pure art.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts