M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Over the last 25yrs I have poured over literally thousands of gun magazines and books looking for articles on the traditional M14, and even more specifically the M14A1 being used in combat, or at least on active duty. In all those many hours of looking during that time, I've only managed to find 4 or 5 pictures of the M14A1 on active duty, and below are 3 of them. My favorite, being the color photo of a GI friend of mine in Germany in 1966, and is so because it's a one-of-kind. My challenge to you, is to post as many active duty M14A1 photos as you can find. Trust me, it's not as easy as it sounds.

Thank you very much for your help,
Phinehas

·
Registered
684 Posts
Not easy to do when your 19 living on $40 a month

·
Cranky Old Vietnam Vet
10,663 Posts
http://pacer.calpoly.edu/tri/pacer/rifle.html

Can somebody please 'convert' that to a Photo? Thank You!

Fort Bliss, Tx. Basic Training.

Boy, Do I Remember The RANGE...

WHITE Sands, New Mexico

GI2

CAVman in WYoming

Over the years, there have been Hundreds of Great M14 'In Action' Photos Posted Here...
Some were removed for 'copyright' issues...
Some were linked to 'Photobucket' or similar sites and when the Owner no longer maintained his PB account, the photos became inacessible...
I believe there are still Dozens here if someone could ferret them out...some from folks no longer on the Forum...
I think some kind of STICKY that could actually store the Photos themselves, not just a 'link' would be GREAT!!!

Hmmm! No Wonder I Thought That Was A Great Idea...It's Already HERE!!!

GI2

http://sparrowhawkm14.bizland.com/id16.html

Reactions: Rustyiron

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Good find!
NoExpert,

Unfortunately, that is one of the 4 or 5 I have found, but didn't locate in time to post along with the others. It is a good moment in time, a very real picture. Again, nice find.

Thanks, Phinehas

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
NoExpert,
by the way,

Look closely at the last of my three pics, notice the early US Army insignia and the resemblance to the troop in the pic you supplied, could they be the same man?

·
Registered
5,750 Posts
Looking at them side by side as well as the gear layout I'd say it's very likely. The pouch and bayonet are in the same area (looks like it slid up when he sat down).

rajah, the second pic is a regular M14 with a bipod. You can tell by the soldier's grip on the stock.

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
Matt38, very nice pics! thanks

·
Registered
3,727 Posts

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Looking at them side by side as well as the gear layout I'd say it's very likely. The pouch and bayonet are in the same area (looks like it slid up when he sat down).

rajah, the second pic is a regular M14 with a bipod. You can tell by the soldier's grip on the stock.

Good observation on the pouch and bayo, plus 100 mile an hr tape on pistol grip and the rolled sleeves. My thanks to rajah was for the M14A1 captured by gooks in his 2nd set of pics, that you might not have seen. I find it hard to believe we have only a hand full of pics with the 14 in that configuration in over ten years of conflict. Amazing!

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I don't think many were ever issued. They had the M60 so the M14A1 wasn't 100% needed. Most M14's seem to have the selector switch replaced with the lock...
I think you're right, and yes, most rifles had locks on them. It would be a nice tidbit of info to know just how many actually made it into service as A1's. Maybe Different, Art or someone else knows.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I used one in Army ROTC in the mid 70s but all that was fired through it was blanks. It was a lot easier to carry than the M60! The unit had M14s on issue and I purchased the stock and bipod on the open market and added them to one of the unit M14s. Sure made a bunch of noise on full auto! You could go through a lot of 7.62mm blanks in a very short period of time.

·
Registered
5,750 Posts
Based on Different's research; it looks like 8350 M14's were made into M14A1's for automatic riflemen, and then less than 100 M14's were made into M14A1 sniper rifles.

That's not very many at all.

rajah, your pic of the captured rifles... is it just me or does the guy on the left look like a goofy white guy? I keep looking at it and the facial features and the fact he's smiling just don't fit with the other two. I mean that girl looks like she could rip his arms off and beat him to death with the bloody stumps.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.