M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
NSR
1,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gents,

Finally got around to measuring the four groups from the last range trip and was amazed at how well the rifle is breaking in...

The groups were as following for 5 rounds each: Group 1: 5/8" Group 2: 1" Group 3: 1" Group 4: 3/4"

Load was my pet load of:
175 gr. Lapua Scenar-L
41.7 gr/IMR-4064
IMI Match Case(new)
Fed 210M Primer
OAL: 2.80"

The rifle is my Walther heavy barreled LRB M-25 action that is double lugged and accurized. Scope was a 8.5 x 25 MK IV Luppie. TonyBen was the builder.

Groups were generally 3 or 4 rounds touching with a flyer or two. Indicative of the rifle wanting to be a "one holer", but the shooter is not up to snuff. I'd like to see Art get behind this rifle. I'm thinking it's a solid 1/2" gun with the right shooter behind it! Time and more practice will tell for sure.

Any suggestions, load data, set-up, etc. are solicited.

Wes

Plant Air gun Wood Trigger Machine gun

·
Premium Member
20,840 Posts
Very nice Wes. Just a suggestion, but you might try a good Protector type rabbit eared pinch bag on the butt. They can make a big difference. Never shot off one of those fancy stable shooting benches in my life but would sure be interesting to try.

·
NSR
1,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Gents,

Art, I have a rabbit ear rear bag. I just was using this one. It may allow the rear of the shot to "float" a bit as the shot breaks. I'll give the rabbit ear bag a try. Thanks for the suggestion...

MuleSkinner88, This is a standard 20 round CMI USGI mil-spec magazine. I have a 10 rounder I should be using off the bench...
The barrel is a Walther heavy profile M-14 barrel installed and 'smithed by TonyBen. It's a 1:10" twist rate and shoots as well, or better, than my Kreigers or other match grade barrels. Hope that helps.

Semper Fi,

Wes

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
Nice results and a really great looking M1A. That handload is similar to mine, only difference is Sierra SMK vs Lapua bullets and LC vs IMI cases. Thanks for this post, glad that Walther barrel is performing well.

·
Registered
8,793 Posts
Wes congratulations, your groups are nothing to sneeze at! I wish I could say I could do that’s, but I am not sure I can afford the practice it would require!

Thats the kind of rifle you get when you do the right planning, buy the right parts and choose the right builder, you did well grasshopper.

MORE THAN A HOBBY, A PASSION!

REN😎👍🇺🇸

·
Registered
9,142 Posts
Very nice Wes. Just a suggestion, but you might try a good Protector type rabbit eared pinch bag on the butt. They can make a big difference. Never shot off one of those fancy stable shooting benches in my life but would sure be interesting to try.
What’s a good size for a Protector, to have for bench shooting?

·
Registered
8,490 Posts
Wes, if I may ask who did the double lugging on your receiver?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts