M14 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello folks,

Just posting my quest on building an M110ish clone and the fun that went along with it.

TL;DR: I wanted to build something DI but able to be used suppressed without having my face destroyed if I had to conduct a mag dump in the name of freedom. Happy with the setup, but could have just purchased a POF or LMT for "50 cents more in the long run."

Parts list:
Fulton M110 Clone 20" SS/BCG
Armalite SASS rail/switchable gas block.
Mega upper/lower
Timney AR10 4#
1/8" Titanium Pins from McMaster
PRI Barrel Nut
PRI Gas Buster CH
Magpul UBR stock

The M110 contour has an interesting shoulder diameter for the gas block, .875. This actually works out as the Armalite setup uses a .875 diameter shoulder. The for-end and receiver rails are damn close - but I don't think they are 100% level with each other. The difference would be in millimeters as you can barely tell they might be untrue with each other by the naked eye.

The project hit a brick wall when I found the radius and gas tube protrusions between a DPMS and Armalite setup are different enough to prevent everything from mounting flush. The Armalite fore-end mounts to a slip collar setup that rides the out diameter of the barrel nut and uses 1/8" dowels to secure the rail from rotating. By random chance, a phone call to the nice folks at PRI got the project rolling again as their barrel nut has the correct dimensions to make everything work. The for-end was drilled to the DPMS radius and a pair of slick titanium dowels were used to secure against any rotational movement.

All in all, happy with the setup. Running suppressed I don't get any discomforting blow back, just a little bit of residual smoke from lubricant burning off. Everything functions great, no failures to feed or fire. I did find the trigger pins on the Timney will come lose. I will be replacing them with a set of KNS pins.

I'll admit, if you want to save yourself some hassle, just pick up a POF or LMT AR10 build as in reality it wouldn't be much more all things considered.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Ah yes, when my naughty dreams don't include Sofia Vergara, they often drift to an MWS...

...did I just share too much?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts