M14 Forum banner

The importance of topo maps and land navigation

2K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  CPTKILLER 
#1 ·
So, yesterday, I was steeped in discussion with a young associate of mine. He was prying me for information about what I, personally, would do should an apocalyptic SHTF scenario unfold (on a national level).

We started discussing the pros and cons of hunkering down at home versus bugging out. I told him I would be departing on foot were the situation truly bad. He then asked me how I would be navigating. I told him, "My maps and my compass". With a befuddled look on his face, he looked at me and responded, "How would that help you?".

Right away, I knew he was not experienced with map reading nor land navigation techniques (using a compass). I asked him if he had any maps. He replied, "No, not really". I asked him if he knew how to use compass. He replied, "No, I'm confused by it all". I downloaded and printed the U.S. Army FM on Land Navigation and handed to him stating, "Here's your start. Read it. Learn it. Know it".

I then directed him to the USGO Topo Maps website.

I cannot stress enough the importance of knowing land navigation let alone having the correct maps on hand (if for no other reason than in the event you may need them).

See less See more
Discussion starter · #8 ·
Exactly Gents.

He kept telling me his electronics (battery operated and rechargeable) would be saved by his Faraday cage thus he could use his electronic devices (for navigational purposes) well after SHTF starts (up to 90 days or more he said).

I asked him where his SHTF electronics were at that very moment. He pointed to his bug out bag/backpack located in his vehicle's front seat. I asked, "I see no Faraday cage... I guess when your proverbial EMP hits unbeknownst to you... your electronics will be dead in the water and you'll be wishing you had a compass/land navigation equipment".

He simply looked at me... speechless.

LOL!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.