M14 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What guns have you owned that you would like to forget about, but you can't because they were such boat anchors?

Luckily, I only have one from years ago, the acquisition of which I attribute to my being young, broke, and dumb(er). It was an Astra .44 Mag revolver which locked up solid as a bank vault after 3 factory rounds of magnums. After that, I learned fast - no more junk.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Davis D-380
The darn thing never worked right Racked it one time and the slide flew off the front of the frame

I traded it for a used multitool and ran away laughing

·
Registered
414 Posts
I had a broomhandle bolo that was so worn out you could drop a .308 rifle bullet in the breech and it would fall out the muzzle. Yes it was .30 mauser caliber.

The safety refused to work and the trigger was "hair".

It perforated primers a lot of the time.

Otherwise it was OK.

geiman

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
I had an H&K VP70Z or something like that came with 4 H&K 18 round 9 mm mags from the factory. It had a trigger pull about like a sks it felt like to me. Double action no hammer looked like a space gun plastic receiver/grip assembly. Traded it off for mini 14 now the mags sell for over 100.00 piece.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Just over 10 years ago, I ordered a Springfield 1911A1 in stainless. The first time I shot it, the rear sight flew off. The trigger fit so loose in the frame, that as you pulled the trigger it wallered around a bunch before it fired. Just what you need, a self-flinching handgun. It wouldn't feed anything reliably, even hand cycling the slide. About half the time, the last round in the magazine would jam. Even after multiple repair attempts, there was only one magazine I had that would work right. After I got it back from being repaired the first time, It fed okay but dented brass really bad, like almost creasing the spent ammo 1/3 of the way around. Off it went again. When I got it back, I was demonstrating to a friend how the safeties worked on a 1911. I pulled the trigger without depressing the grip safety to show that it would not fire. Then I applied the thumb safety and likewise showed that it would not fire. When I dropped the thumb safety, the hammer fell! Thank God I discovered this defect with an unloaded weapon. Back in the box and off again. When it was returned to me yet again, it seemed as if everything was finally OK. One day at the range however, after about 70 rounds, it jammed up REAL hard, the brass had ejected okay but the fresh round was just over halfway in the chamber. The range gunsmith got it apart safely and discovered that the barrel link pin was MISSING. He theorized it broke somehow and came out in pieces, but we never did find any remnants of it. After yet another repair it sat for a long while and I sold it last year. The new owner told me recently that everything functioned OK until last month, when he loaded it in his house and when he released the slide it fired into the floor! He unloaded it, took it out in the wilderness and tried it again just to make sure he didn't unknowingly do something stupid like have his finger near the trigger. Sure enough, it fired everytime the slide was released, even a couple of 2 and 3 round full-autos. Look Ma! No trigger! He sent it off to Springfield and I told him don't bother to address the box, the dang thing knows the way. If I ever own another 1911, it will say COLT on it.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I bought my Kimber .45 in October 1996. I had to send her back to the factory twice for two problems: 1. It shot 4" low at 25 yds. with 230gr. Ball (they installed a lower front sight blade). 2. The slide wouldn't lock to the rear after the last round was fired (the slide stop was fitted too tight). Kimber fixed both problems and she's been trouble free ever since. I figured it was no big deal because it was an early production gun and had a few bugs that needed worked out. Unless you count the time I almost blew up the gun by mistakenly double charging a case when I was handloading :oops: I had it checked by a gunsmith after the incident and it didn't hurt the gun, except for cracking my left grip panel and destroying a Wilson 8 rd. magazine :mad:

·
Registered
157 Posts
Jennings 9. Bought it jus so I could say I once had a junk gun and that I now can say. Jamed all the time, got to dirty to function before you could finish a single magazine and parts were alwayse breaking and getting bent out of shape. It was also terribly inaccurate. Got it to be reliable but all the other problems were so bad that I gave it away. The man I gave it to said it broke almost to pieces on him.
Had a Winchester 1300 Defender. It wasn't very reliable but it's reliability issue was easy to fix while the guns devistating kick was not, at least, not at a price I was willing to pay. Bird Shot in that thing was as bad a s3in magnums in my Mossberg 500 and 3 inch magnums would rip your shoulder off. You might has well have been fireing them from a derringer. I guess the good thing is that if you can handle the kick that thing produced, then you can handle just about anything.
It was the first and last gun I ever gave to my brother. He begged me for it until I gave it to him and turned around and sold it shortley after I gave it to him. I was a bit upset about it, I guess since I DID have the means to turn it in to a good gun and was hopeing to one day come to that.

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
I've got an old FIE .22LR SA revolver that was taken from a repossessed home that had been occupied by some Hispanic gang-bangers. 8O 8O 8O My Mom originally owned the house then had to take it back when the new owners rented it to a bunch of "Vatos" who trashed the place and wouldn't pay the rent. The owner defaulted on the loan. We found the gun stuck in a "hidey-hole" and I got the gun because my Mom didn't want it around the house.

The thing looks like it was drug through the dirt, hosed off with gasoline and set afire. :lol: It has very little of the painted finish left on it so the "high-quality" pot metal the frame is made of shows through clearly. :lol: :lol: :lol:

After tinkering with it and having a gunsmith friend check it out and make some minor repairs, I took it to the range. Surprisingly, it still shoots pretty well if the rear sight doesn't work loose (which it does most of the time, even though I've tried staking the sight base-the set screw threads are stripped).

I keep it around to show my students what a "banger piece" really looks like. BTW, I checked it out with the local PD/SO to make sure it wasn't stolen or used in a crime before I brought it back to VA from Washington state. I was an LEO at the time and offered to turn it in for ballistics testing but they didn't want it - guess it was too ugly. :lol:

If there ever was a "Saturday Night Special", this piece of junk certainly qualifies. :p

db

·
Registered
267 Posts
Colt Mustang (only problem was to small, flipped safety on all the time)
Intertech 22
Springfield 1911A1 Comander Money pit

·
Registered
662 Posts
I hated a S&W stainless M659 and an older M29 i bought used. The 659 jammed often and was difficult to site since the from sight was stainless. The M29 was nickel finish that I bought used. It had a 6" barrel. The nickel would get stained by Hoppes and powder. The 29 also broke twice and required it be sent back for repair.

·
Registered
672 Posts
An AMT Gov't model I bought in 85. That single shot piece of junk taught me remedial action before I knew what the term was (Lock,Rip,Rack,Reload,Ready).

That's tied with an Astra A-90 with a poorly designed saftey that engaged every other shot.

·
R T Echo
1,662 Posts
Intertec @@, Twice it went full aoto on me. Lucky me and the wife are safe gun handlers or it could have blown a foot off while putting in a 30 rd clip and pulling the slide back.

sent it back twice to Intertec to fix it, The first time they fixed it, lasted about 500 rds and went full auto agin, sent it back agin and they sent me a new gun. Worked for about 1000 rds and went full auto too. Called them and they said only one new gun, so just loose the gun or forget it!!

Not my kind of people!!

Keith

·
Registered
76 Posts
I have a Reproduction M-1 Carbine made by Universal... it ran just fine for "about" 100,000 rounds of surplus S. Korean 115gr non corrosive ammo. About 3 years ago it did the following...

1: It fired out of battery (sharp point of extractor punched primer of the round being attempted to be fed into the chamber after a casing was failed to be extracted).

2: The op-rod broke in half where the bolt slot is.

3: The op-rod springs (yes there are two on this basterdized model) are VERY weak... and fail to strip rounds off of the magazine most of the time.

4: The Extractor spring has broken 4 times... which results in failure to extract. The extractor spring from a real M1 Carbine wont fit in the Universal Carbine so i had to have a real M1 Carbine extractor custom fit into the universal bolt so that the new spring would fit.

5: The rear sight walks left and right... i have used J-B Weld on it several times to keep it from falling off the reciever... it holds it for a few hundred rounds then it falls out again... and i end up shooting it with out a rear sight for the rest of the day... getting weird looks from people.

I havent used it in several years... and probably wont ever again... unless i happen to run across all the parts i need to fix it for cheap. The magazines i have for it are worth a heck of alot more than the actual rifle! HAHAHA...

·
Registered
103 Posts
OK, everyone else has told of their shameful purchases, I'll share mine. When I was around 20 or so, I bought a semi-auto Mac 10 .45. I don't think I put 100 rounds through it before it sheared the tip of the firing pin. The bore looked very rough, like poor quality steel was used. You could actually see "peels" of steel where the button had been pulled through. Not that they're accurate anyway. I traded that one towards a Rossi 12 Ga. coach gun with 20" barrels and external hammers. Good trade. Still got it.
Eagle

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.