M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The M14 Owners Guide and Match Conditioning Instructions, Scott A Duff and John M. Miller, Scott A Duff Publishing: 1996; 6th Ed: 2002. ISBN: 1-888-722-07-X.

The U.S. .30 Caliber Gas Operated Service Rifles: A Shop Manual, Volumes; I & II, by Jerry Kuhnhausen, VSP Publishers: 1995.

Most folks would agree that these two books are just about the best resources available to the M14/M1A owner for general information about the rifles, normal maintenance, and beneficial modifications.

I don't have a favorite - both have excellent information and they compliment one another. While one book may not have all the detalils you need about a particular subject, the other does.

Buy both, they are well worth the investment. GI1

They can be found in a number of places, but I got mine from Fulton Armory http://www.fulton-armory.com/ with my first order of spare/replacement parts.

Perhaps some of the "old salts" here on the Firing Line could list their favorite source for these books.

duckbuck

·
NSR
1,885 Posts
Kuhnhausen M1/M14 Manual

Gents,
I have the Kunhausen Manual discussed. The full name is "The U.S. .30 Cal. Gas Operated SERVICE RIFLES Vol. I & II A Shop Manual"
The most complete and in depth manual I've seen to date. Well worth the money. I'd consider it a "must have" for the serious M14/M1A owner.
Wes
P.S. For you Garand Guys, as well.

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
duckbuck said:
The M14 Owners Guide and Match Conditioning Instructions, Scott A Duff and John M. Miller, Scott A Duff Publishing: 1996; 6th Ed: 2002. ISBN: 1-888-722-07-X.

The U.S. .30 Caliber Gas Operated Service Rifles: A Shop Manual, Volumes; I & II; by Jerry Kuhnhausen, VSP Publishers: 1995.

duckbuck
Yessir, that's the correct, full title alright. GI7

db

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
A agree with you 100%. They resolve most of the simple problems / questions about use, upgrading and maintainance of this fine weapon.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I have seen Jerry K's book on ebay for as little as four dollars. Makes a good second copy to keep in the truck or the cabin. (or in the fall-out shelter GI3 or bail-out bag if that is your thing GI1 ) regards

-db you are obviously a very kind and reserved man.

·
Registered
276 Posts
question on books/manuals

(copied here from the firing line)

the only book i currently have is "the last steel warrior"
i do have
"The M14 Owners Guide and Match Conditioning Instructions, Scott A Duff and John M. Miller"
and
"The U.S. .30 Caliber Gas Operated Service Rifles: A Shop Manual, Volumes; I & II, by Jerry Kuhnhausen"
on order.

what im wondering is if this manual will go into any further detail on match rifle subjects than the duff and kuhnhausen books?
U.S. Army Marksmanship Training Unit (AMU) Accurized National Match M-14 Rifle "M-14 (MTU-NM)"
from http://www.nicolausassociates.com/m14.htm (its about halfway down the page)

TIA

·
Registered
334 Posts
Casey said:
Anyone been able to pick these up local, like at a Barns & Noble or similer?

Scouts Out,
JMPWNG2
Nope... Barnes and noble does not even carry it in there system
same with amazon.com

ebay occasionally

·
Registered
547 Posts
Where do I start on which books I have in my collection pertaining to the M14/M1A.

I have "The Last Steel Warrior" by Frank Iannamico
"The M14-Type Rifle" by Joe Poyer
"The M14 Owner's Guide" by Scott Duff
"The M14 Complete Assembly Guide" by Scott Duff
FM 23-8
TM 9-1005-223-20
"7.62mm US M14 Rifle Handbook" by Ian Skennerton

Did I do good for some basic books to learn about the M14?

·
Registered
7,572 Posts
'The M14 Complete Assembly Guide', by Kuleck and McKee is an excellent book. I also like their book, 'The M1 Garand Complete Assembly Guide'. Both of these books are published by Scott Duff and are second volumes to his M14 and M1 Garand Owners Guides.

·
Registered
47 Posts
My wife got me "The M14 Owners Guide and Match Conditioning Instructions, Scott A Duff and John M. Miller" for Christmas. The info contained within is well worth it...it will definatley move you forward in the M-14 knowledge world. Everything from detailed disassembly, to what to look for in buying a M14 (what to advoid, quality parts ID, maintenance, history, and how not to get rip'd on over priced junk), to accurizing, plus much more.

Well Done!GI7

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
Don't forget Different's book!

M1A Rifle History and Development by Lee Emerson

I was fortunate to get a 2nd edition copy of this fine publication by Mr. Emerson. It is available for download from Different's website. (See the link in Different's signature here in the TFL forums.)

Excellent reading! :ARM37:

Thanks to Ted Brown and to Lee Emerson. USA2

·
Registered
559 Posts
I just ordered the Kuleck and McKee book and expect it in today!

I have two copies of the Duff book. That book is the source, I'm convinced, of the cast v. forged debate. Written at a time when you could buy a USGI bolt, oprod, and trigger group from the CMP for a total price of about $125. Things have changed a lot! Still its a great source of intel on our favorite smokewagon!

·
Registered
183 Posts
'The M14 Complete Assembly Guide', by Kuleck and McKee is an excellent book. I also like their book, 'The M1 Garand Complete Assembly Guide'. Both of these books are published by Scott Duff and are second volumes to his M14 and M1 Garand Owners Guides.
I've been considering getting the 'M14 Complete Assembly Guide' by Kuleck/McKee, but I already have Duff's 'The M14 Owner's Guide' and Kuhnhausen's shop manual. Was wondering if Kuleck's book would be redundant?

·
Registered
24 Posts
I ordered "The M14 Owners Guide and Match Conditioning Instructions," straight from Scott A. Duff Publications. I was real pleased with the complete assembly / disassembly book so I decided to order the owner's guide. I have no opinion of the this book since they sent me the wrong book. "United States Rifle Model of 1917." I hope they get back with me becuase I have absolutely no need in the book they sent. I haven't heard back from them as of yet. Has anyone had any issues with ordering from them?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.