M14 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
7,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As noted in a previous post, Gunworks of LA actually made five T44E4 receivers. The very first was a prototype which I understood was destroyed, leaving only the four production receivers. However, GWLA sent me a bunch of parts along with a hand full of M1A receivers which included a fifth T44E4 receiver that was left unfinished and not heat treated. When this receiver came off the CNC, Charley sent it to me to make sure it had all the features I had originally ordered. It took a lot of collaboration to get the details right as we could not get copies of the government drawings for the T44E4 receiver. I sent it back with recommendations and that was the last I saw of it. I placed an order for receiver numbered 1000. Note that the original T44E4 production at Springfield started at 1001. They were to run 500 receivers, but some have been noted in the 540 range.

Anyway, I got my receiver and built up a nice clone of the T44E4 rifle which is pictured here. After receiving the prototype I had it finished up and heat treated. There were a couple of minor changes in some machining details to bring it closer to the original specs, but nothing major. Enjoy the pictures. I'm working on getting parts together to finish it up and barrels are coming soon.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The Other Side...

Here is the right side of the previously finished rifle, number 1000. Yes, it does have an early stock with a Garand butt plate and an original M14 walnut hand guard. Anyone have a T44E4 bolt out there? The part number on the bolt would be F7267003 or B7267004.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
3,377 Posts
That is awesome Ted.......

You know what I am waiting for to finish my T44E4.......

Below find a brother to your two receivers and one of the five GWLA T44E4 flat sided receivers made. I had a unique heel stamp put on mine that had special meaning to me. I have been through a lot pulling this build together - hopefully it will be finished this year.

Here is the receiver....

Here is the stock.....

An my other parts.......

M1Army

·
Premium Member
15,424 Posts
Wonderful thread.
Both receivers look great and I am sure you guys will end up with superior guns.

·
Registered
7,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
On July 31st I was notified that the manufacturer of the T44E4 barrels I have on order is presently in the process of roll marking the barrels and they will be sent out for Parkerizing. It looks like they barrels will be done in two to three weeks (I hope). They will be marked SA F7267002 4 55 followed by the makers ID mark. I'm trying to keep these as original looking as possible, but the marking will reflect that they were not SA production. I have five on order to cover the receivers that were made by GunWorks. Now, if I could just do something about the bolts...

·
Registered
7,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I just got the bill so the barrels are on the way!

By the way, I was just perusing my collection of photos and publications regarding the T44E4 and realized that the GWLA receiver pictured above was meant to be a copy of the T44E4 rifle in the NRA National Firearms Museum which is also serial numbered 1200. Is that cool or what?

·
Registered
4,377 Posts

By the way, I was just perusing my collection of photos and publications regarding the T44E4 and realized that the GWLA receiver pictured above was meant to be a copy of the T44E4 rifle in the NRA National Firearms Museum which is also serial numbered 1200. Is that cool or what?
YES! That is very cool. May I request "first dibbs" if you ever part with it please. I am glad someone like yourself has it that knows what it is and appreciates the uniqueness and rarity of it.
Thank you sir for going through the trouble of having these T44E4 barrel copies made. I had asked Criterion if they would do it, but they were not interested at all. I cant wait to get it. PM or email me when you know the total I will owe you for it.

·
Super Moderator
3,377 Posts

I went with the # 1001 because in theory that was the very first T44E4 built in the dedicated number range..... I think all the GWLA flat sided receivers will be unique. They sure were built well!!

M1Army

·
Registered
7,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
GWLA T44E4 receivers also included all the most resent improvements in small details to bring them closer to original specifications. They were among the last receivers GWLA produced. I'm gathering parts for number 1200. Some modifications can be made to parts like the clip guide, bolt lock, and safety so they look very much like the original T44E4 parts. Gas cylinders are fairly common and stocks turn up (at high prices), but there are some parts that have drawing numbers on them that can't be duplicated. The bolt and hammer are good examples. All and all, building up a realistic T44E4 is a fun project. The result is awesome.

·
Registered
4,377 Posts
I am glad they did this for you. I emailed criterion about it, but they were not interested.
You are right, they look very nice.

·
Registered
7,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It's one thing to try and get CBI to make a barrel that is one off, but they are easier to deal with if you need a half dozen or so. The price also reflects this. Steve was happy to grant my request. I like to think this is because I have been a loyal customer since they started making M14 barrels, but I know there is more to it. It's a challenge and doable as long as it is profitable. Steve and Stephanie have always been helpful and they produce exceptionally good barrels.

·
Registered
3,176 Posts
I believe standard M14 barrels can be modified at shank to T44E4 print.looks like just turn the radius which removes the two straddle mill cuts. Or is there something else?

·
Registered
4,377 Posts
I believe standard M14 barrels can be modified at shank to T44E4 print.looks like just turn the radius which removes the two straddle mill cuts. Or is there something else?
Ted can say if there are other differences, but one I know of is that the T44E4 barrels are not chrome lined. I think he has the prints for the T44E4 barrel, so he can say if there are any differences like gas port size and such.

·
Registered
7,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
T44E4 Barrel

The barrels are not the same and altering a standard M14 barrel to T44E4 cannot be done. The contour ahead of the chamber is the problem. The T44E4 barrels are not chrome lined, they are 1:12" twist and otherwise much the same as a standard M14 barrel. Here is a picture of one I just installed.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
15,424 Posts
Something just a little different. Should make fun projects.

Just unpacked another couple of receivers from Bula Defense Systems. I consider these M14 type receivers although the heel does not say that.

·
Premium Member
6,876 Posts
That is awesome Ted.......

You know what I am waiting for to finish my T44E4.......

Below find a brother to your two receivers and one of the five GWLA T44E4 flat sided receivers made. I had a unique heel stamp put on mine that had special meaning to me. I have been through a lot pulling this build together - hopefully it will be finished this year.

Here is the receiver....

Here is the stock.....

An my other parts.......

M1Army
Wes, that is a project worth finishing! I wish I had bought one of those GunWorks t44e4 receivers, they are a true work of art. They nearly mirror the originals.

RENGI2

1 - 20 of 21 Posts