M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Banned
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have been using the Maglula magazine loader for quite a while and am always a bit surprised by people who've never heard of them and have not seen them. Thought I'd do a video showing how to use them with close ups of how exactly they work.

Hope some find this helpful.

[ame]http://youtu.be/zB9X5GHKMRE?hd=1[/ame]

·
Inquisitor
11,356 Posts
I've seen a lot of magazine loading contraptions but that one is by far the most impressive.

·
Registered
4,006 Posts
I've got 30+ mags for my Springers. 90% of them stay in the unloaded stage. I just don't feel comfortable with leaving all of them stored loaded, and under spring tension. If I ever had to load them all at once we are talking a tedious/finger busting operation here. About 4 months ago I decided to buy a Maglula. Best $26 I ever spent. Before I purchased the loader, I could only load up 2-3 mags and I had to give my fingers a break. Getting the first 10rds in the mag is easy, but the last 10rds are a bear. It does operate a little different than the loader in the vid above. They do have a video of the M-14 loading operation on the manufacturers web site. Recommended buy if you have to load a bunch of mags. dozier

·
Cranky Old Vietnam Vet
10,663 Posts
Reactions: GARRARD

·
Banned
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've got 30+ mags for my Springers. 90% of them stay in the unloaded stage. I just don't feel comfortable with leaving all of them stored loaded, and under spring tension. If I ever had to load them all at once we are talking a tedious/finger busting operation here. About 4 months ago I decided to buy a Maglula. Best $26 I ever spent. Before I purchased the loader, I could only load up 2-3 mags and I had to give my fingers a break. Getting the first 10rds in the mag is easy, but the last 10rds are a bear. It does operate a little different than the loader in the vid above. They do have a video of the M-14 loading operation on the manufacturers web site. Recommended buy if you have to load a bunch of mags. dozier
I don't leave mine loaded either, but of course, the wear and tear on the springs is not leaving them compressed, but loading/unloading.

The mags loaded up in the videos will be empty by tomorrow evening.

I found the M14 Maglula loaders to work easily, but...you have to be a bit careful when you use them, no way I'd want to load the twenty rounds by hand every time.

·
In the gilded halls of Valhala
13,515 Posts
looks great for pesky pistol mags.

I should see if they make one for my para, i can load it fine, but some people can't even get all the rounds in the para mags.

I think that these are unnecessary for rifle mags..

I have seen a .22lr 10/22 loader that you just dump the rounds into a chamber, then insert mag and turn a crank and it loads it. Something like that for rifle mags would be fantastic.

·
Inquisitor
11,356 Posts
My FNP-45 magazines hold 14 rounds each and after getting number 10 in there, it's a real pain in the ass. So much of a pain in the ass that I've started to not completely load them. Something like the Maglula is exactly what I need for when I'm burning 100+ rounds in a range trip.

·
Banned
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My FNP-45 magazines hold 14 rounds each and after getting number 10 in there, it's a real pain in the ass. So much of a pain in the ass that I've started to not completely load them. Something like the Maglula is exactly what I need for when I'm burning 100+ rounds in a range trip.
Yup, Maglula will rock your world.

·
13,515 Posts
how old are the mags?

have you ever left them loaded for like a month?

This made my para 14 mags much easier to load. (either that or my fingers just got stronger not sure which).

5,445 Posts
Not to be rude, but how is it folks are experiencing pain/exhaustion by loading multiple magazines?

I've been loading multiple M1A, 1911, 92F, AK-47, HK USP magazines for over twenty five years now and I don't ever experience finger pain/discomfort.

Are folks loading magazines "the hard way"?

By that I mean, are they not using their thumbs?

I hold a magazine in my left hand with my left thumb pressing down on the already loaded rounds while my right hand and right thumb are used to load the next round. It's all in the thumbs?

·
Banned
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The Maglula makes loading large capacity magazines very easy and fast, if you prefer to do it manually, more power to you. I'm just sharing my experience, and showing how it works.

I think for a whole lot of people, the Maglula will be a very welcome accessory.

·
13,515 Posts
Not to be rude, but how is it folks are experiencing pain/exhaustion by loading multiple magazines?

I've been loading multiple M1A, 1911, 92F, AK-47, HK USP magazines for over twenty five years now and I don't ever experience finger pain/discomfort.

Are folks loading magazines "the hard way"?

By that I mean, are they not using their thumbs?

I hold a magazine in my left hand with my left thumb pressing down on the already loaded rounds while my right hand and right thumb are used to load the next round. It's all in the thumbs?
Theres no big mystery

some are just harder than others. Particularly the newer design mags that are double stack, or high cap mags, and only when they are brand spankin new.

some people also have weaker fingers , thus the need for the loaders.

How many mags do you own for your pistols? (the double stack ones)

go load a 14+ .45 cap or 20+9mm mag , unload and load 10 times.. tell me how your hands feel?

I used to ride enduro cross so i have strong hands (we used to just wring newspapers to build strength to hand on) So i can load the mags that you read the reviews and people are like "its not possible to get all the rounds in" but it still makes my hands very tired and sore.

·
Inquisitor
11,356 Posts
how old are the mags?

have you ever left them loaded for like a month?

This made my para 14 mags much easier to load. (either that or my fingers just got stronger not sure which).
I've had the pistol since November of 2009 but I spent the entirety of 2010 deployed so realistically, the magazines have gone through about 1000 rounds in the last year. If I clean my pistol after the range I reload the magazines until the next range trip but if I don't, the magazines usually stay unloaded. They've started to ease up but in the beginning, they were tough, way tougher than loading mags for the 1911's I used to own. The other thing is that I'm considering buying another pistol this summer and figure I might as well break in those mags with a Maglula instead of letting those mags break in my fingers. Rifle mags don't give me any problems.

5,445 Posts
I love this device that Amsdorf posted here but I just think it will be awhile before I relinquish manual loading.

I can load my magazine(s) faster manually right now compared to this Maglula device. Of course, when I no longer have the hand strength (or lose finger dexterity) I shall invest in this device. It does rock after all.

·
Banned
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
OK, Superman, you've impressed us all.

DI5

I'm chuckling at the thought you really think you could load up all the mags that you see on the video in less time than I can with a Maglula. Funny stuff.

·
Registered
863 Posts
+1 they work. I also have a loader that is a chute that fits the top of the mag you put 4-5 rounds in a just push down with the mag on a hard surface they work well to load the mags. I think it was for a FNFAL that I once owned. but the Maglula is so much easier and makes it easy to unload the mag if you don't do it the fun way.....

I would like one for the other size mags but I don't shoot them enough to justify the cost.
my M14 is my favorite rifle.

5,445 Posts
OK, Superman, you've impressed us all.

DI5

I'm chuckling at the thought you really think you could load up all the mags that you see on the video in less time than I can with a Maglula. Funny stuff.

If we lived close to one another I'd gladly come prove this to you (using the amount of magazines shown in your video). Of course, we have to bet lunch on it (nothing expensive just a good 'ole lunch) just for the extra motivation. GI2

I wasn't trying to be "super man" I was merely pointing I didn't think loading magazines was that tiring. Of course, if one was loading one hundred 30 round pistol magazines then the Maglula device would most likely win out (in a timed trial). We are Human after all.

I'm no Superman by any stretch of imagination.

·
Registered
3,688 Posts
It looks like there's only one version for pistol magazines that is supposed to work with all single and double stack magazines. The hardest thing for me to load is a 10 round 1911 magazine for 9x23 Winchester (think .38 Super), but what keeps the magazine from flopping around inside the body of the thing?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.