M14 Forum banner

The CZ 83 - anyone have one, owned one? Thoughts?

391 Views 6 Replies 7 Participants Last post by  Sumo
I have several CZ 75's and really love the out-of-production stainless 9mm family.
Old school craftsmanship.Soft shooting.

I've been contemplating the CZ 83 in .380 but this one seems to have a complicated manufacturing / import story and is relatively rare, at least in good condition. So I haven't been able to get my hands on one to get a feel for it.

And mags are a challenge it appears.

I'd like to hear you opinion and experience if you have any on this pistol.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
591 Posts
CZ82 and CZ83 ( there are generations of each, but this is generally true ) are the selfsame pistol. The '83 is in the 9mm. short/.380 caliber, the '82 in the Soviet 9x18mm. Makarov loading. Magazines interchange and are quite common. The '82 uses "edgeless" so-called "polygonal" rifling with no distinct "lines", but the pistols are the same. I used MAK (9x18MAK) mags with my '83 and vice versa, albeit I have owned a lot more '82's.

Both are superbly reliable. I always preferred the Makarov caliber. It's a little more powerful and at the time I had cases of the stuff prepared for an article that NEVER ran. So it was also a financial consideration. Not long after I got a shiny, brand new '83, one of the hyperbole/conspiracy based, contrived "ammo panics" got started and the two boxes I had on hand were all the ".380" ( 9x17mm. "short") I ever put through it. Fiocchi ammo, if I recall. Then prices got to five, then eight times what they had been and I just dumped the pistol. It was very accurate. I owned a lot more '82's back in days of yore when now-defunct Southern Ohio Guns sold them in huge quantities. I purchased a lot of police surplus '83's, too, but they were more money.

Spent the funds to have some of the black-enameled pistols blued and had one '82 nickel plate.

I've not yet owned a Czech/VZ/ZB/CZ that wasn't a sturdy, reliable performer, and I've owned hundreds.

· Registered
A bunch
55 Posts
I had an 82 about 35 years ago. I thought it was made and shot well. My only problem was I felt the 82 was too much gun for just .380.

Instead of going to the 83, went with the new Taurus PT 92.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts