M14 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some of you may have read of my misfortunes with what was originally a SAI standard M1A. i.e. Re-receivered, 2 stocks, not going to battery, multiple bump fires with conscientious trigger follow through after match SAI trigger job and last but not least miserable accuracy esp. with,ironically,Match ammo. The rifle now has NM sights frnt. & rear. M-25 unitized gas system. (all done by SAI). Sadlak piston and spring guide. Stock routed, so nothing touches. HG relieved and so on and so on.
I've sent a letter to SAI with a RA # and sent the rifle back for the 3rd time, basically stating, I want a refund.DISHOUT 2nd choice, A loaded or a NM on SAI's dime as I now have almost $2000 in the rifle, not to mention the amount of time,money,ammunition and down time I've gone through to get a reliable,descent shooting rifle. I was as nice as I could be in the letter but that my frustration with the rifle was now an understatement. SAI customer service=great. Product- not so much. Tune in next week to see me incoherently babble and drool because of M1a withdrawal.ALCOHOLIC1

·
Inquisitor
11,356 Posts
SAI customer service=great. Product- not so much.
That's been my experience as well. Sorry to hear things didn't turn out well. I hope they give you what you want this time around.

Reactions: jens5

·
Forever Remembered - RIP
2,141 Posts
I hope they do right by you on the continuing problems...

a nice new fully vetted and checked-over NM Loaded would be a nice way for them to say they appreciate your patience and perseverance

with what is normally a decent and reliable rifle

good luck and keep us posted!!

·
Banned
1,222 Posts
I don't have SAI and I originally was turned-off by their reputation. Though I do get a little concerned that since most people only post when there's a problem, the vast # of people with no issues and who are happy with their guns, gets lost in the negative press.

Presumably there's some reason they are so popular and have been the market leader for so long. Sure ain't price.

·
Registered
914 Posts
Actually, I'm pretty sure that price has a lot to do with it. A similarly "widgeted" competitor's rifle would surely cost about $1500 or more additional, IMHO. My recently bought SAI NatMatch, with ss match bbl, match trigger, NM sights, unitized GC, and so on, would retail for about what, $2200 or more? Try that with a complete LRB, etc.

I also got a quote from James River Armories for their basic rack rifle, and they are very well made as far as I can figure, but it was about $500 more than an SAI NM!

For reference value, JRA will be my next M1A purchase in a couple of months. It will be interesting in both accuracy comparisons, as well as in assembly quality.

·
Banned
1,113 Posts
I beat the hell out of my SAI loaded with every ammo including the dreaded WOLF ammo.

$66.00 Is all I've spent on it to keep it running. That was to rebuild the guts of my bolt after 5000 rounds AT LEAST!!! It sleeps next to me in the desert and gets clogged full of all kinds of windblown grit and dust......no problems that would prevent me from grabbing it it confront the
zombie apocalypse!!

I hunt with it too!!

Love SAI.

Sorry your having problems with yours..

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
I am going to jump on the bandwagon for SAI. My first is a standard built in '79 (it is going through a major morph now) and it has served faithfully for years (one trip back to SAI). I cannot imaging letting it go.GITEN

·
Resident Rascal
13,508 Posts
I think you're being reasonable Jen5. I remember the problems you were having with your rifle. I wish yours was working as well as mine. Let us know what SAI says they're going to do.

·
Registered
5,679 Posts
I wouldn't know what to tell you that'd make you feel any better. SAI makes a pretty good receiver, at least if you order from Champion's Choice (Homer & Chuck know what to expect and don't get jerked around) or buy it at Camp Perry or a shooting event SAI is sponsoring. After that it's a case of getting your parts together - not the easiest thing for shooters just getting started with m14 clones. I wouldn't know how to put a value on SAI's warranty nowadays. It used to be good when they had plenty of USGI parts and they were selling a lot of rifles to Highpower competition shooters. Reputation really mattered. Today's market is more recreational, big boy toys. But the company still sells every unit they can assemble, so they seem to be OK with it.

·
Registered
140 Posts
i have bought 4 m1a's since 2008, two new & 2 used. the first one was a complete lemon, a new scout that kept getting brass cases stuck in the chamber. i had to tap them out with cleaning rod, and this was from day one. sent it back to springfield and i don't know what they did but i could not get it to hit on paper at all. this was my first m1a/m14 rifle so i had no idea what was going on and i already spent over $1400 for the rifle alone plus all the other stuff. i said the heck with this & sold it for a loss. i had always wanted one of these since the first time i saw one, so after i had about two years to cool down i saw a used ss loaded at a gun show from a dealer i trusted. i took a chance since it was used & was well pleased with it. then i bought a used bush rifle here from the px & its great. then since i have always liked the socom, i finally gave in & bought one about 2 weeks ago. i have had it out twice & its been good so far, but i am not going to tell you that i wasn't worried about it not working properly. knowing what i know now & having 7.62mm firearms about 25 min. away, i would have just paid to have them fix my first m1a after springfield tried & failed. im sorry about your luck with springfield & hope you can get this straightend out, even if you have to have another gunsmith fix it for you. their are several listed in different sections of this forum. i know how you feel & you shouldn't have to pay somebody else to fix it becuse of springfield's incompetence but it might be better in the long run. if your like most of us you will be back sooner or later anyway, good luck to you.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.