M14 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
4,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have search this site pretty deep to try and find a good recommendation for an AR armoror's tool, but could not find one.

I them went to Amazom and TAPCO seemed to be the only one that only had 2 - 1 star reviews. All the rest, DPMS, NCStar, AIM, & GRG MFG were cussed about equally.

Reading beween the lines, I also know nobs like me can make bad mistakes too, but that said....some of these wrenched broke in two at the first use. Now that is pretty bad.

My question is..Is there some good quality tolls for the AR-15 out there NOT MADE IN CHINA that will be more forgiving to this ham-handed FNG on the AR platform.

I am looking for an armorer's tool, and good upper vice block, and barrel nut wrench as I have been told in high power competition AR barrels are considered expendable items in the 600 yard arena. I have read some of these armorer's tools strip out after only one use. Barrel nuts particularly.

There is one school of thought that says it is better to get specific high quality tools for the job at hand than generic tools that do not do any one job very well. I think that is probably the best way to go. It has not failed me in the past.

I am standing by with pencil and pad in hand.

Thank you all.

·
Banned
4,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
661 Posts
The one I have has the barrel nut wrench on one end the castle nut on the otter and everything else in between but get you a 3/4wrench for the flash suppressor it's a little easier to use than the armorers tool. And I have no idea who or where it was made it was gave to me Yeats ago and doesn't have any markings on it at all.

·
Registered
4,950 Posts
I have a dpms ar-15 wrench and have used the heck out of it without a problem. The dpms plastic reciever block that goes in your upper is good too. Get them both from jsesurplus.

·
Registered
3 Posts
There is one other accessory that should be used for any AR work. That is a Wheeler Engineering Universal Bench Block. It is a round polymer block with slots, grooves and various holes drilled in it. It is invaluable when driving roll pins on the aluminum upper and lower. I bought one to work on my AR's, but it is so handy I use it anytime I am gunsmithing on any firearm.

·
Registered
6,292 Posts
[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Build-Your-Ar-15-Duncan-Long/dp/0879471808"]http://www.amazon.com/Build-Your-Ar-15-Duncan-Long/dp/0879471808[/ame]
Chapter 6 has some tool info. Some of the legal stuff has lightened up since repeal of AWB.

·
Registered
6,408 Posts
I have search this site pretty deep to try and find a good recommendation for an AR armoror's tool, but could not find one.

I them went to Amazom and TAPCO seemed to be the only one that only had 2 - 1 star reviews. All the rest, DPMS, NCStar, AIM, & GRG MFG were cussed about equally.

Reading beween the lines, I also know nobs like me can make bad mistakes too, but that said....some of these wrenched broke in two at the first use. Now that is pretty bad.

My question is..Is there some good quality tolls for the AR-15 out there NOT MADE IN CHINA that will be more forgiving to this ham-handed FNG on the AR platform.

I am looking for an armorer's tool, and good upper vice block, and barrel nut wrench as I have been told in high power competition AR barrels are considered expendable items in the 600 yard arena. I have read some of these armorer's tools strip out after only one use. Barrel nuts particularly.

There is one school of thought that says it is better to get specific high quality tools for the job at hand than generic tools that do not do any one job very well. I think that is probably the best way to go. It has not failed me in the past.

I am standing by with pencil and pad in hand.

Thank you all.
the marine corps armors here on base just use a regular vice with blocks of wood between the jaws.

·
Registered
2,759 Posts
The Army currently issues the SEI armorer's wrench. I've only used it a couple of times, but I like it enough that I'll probably buy one for myself. I have an O-L-D USGI wrench, complete with the cutout for the 3-prong flash hider in it. It's okay, as long as your barrel is very firmly held by your vise, and you don't slip. They have been known to mangle barrel nuts if you do! They also won't fit over bull barrels.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Here's my take on buying special tools. Don't! If you ain't an armorer don't take the bloody thing apart. If you have the tools you will be tempted to go further then your MOS is authorized. Most of the F**Ked up M16's I had to service were because some one that thought he was an armorer took it apart and FUBARED it. Amateurs can do a lot of damage to the aluminum parts in a split second with a twist in the wrong direction. Most owners should never go beyond the field stripping stage. Properly cleaned and lubed weapons should rarely need to be stripped down to individual pieces. If you have a problem see the people that can handle the problem and don't create more problems and damage.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts