M14 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, haven't seen it in 40+ years, but it was worth it in its time. The fact that you can view it for free on Youtube or with Amazon Prime is kinda cool.

Watching the French lose their grip on Algeria... ;P

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_N2wyq7fCE"]The Battle of Algiers (English Subtitles) - YouTube[/ame]

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
I'm gonna watch this tomorrow, but skipped to like around the 20 min mark.

I'm interested already, what's up with all the chicks showing leg and smoking cigarettes, looks like a fun town to me!! But, I have a feeling it wont be fun for long.... tomorrow I'll report back, thanks Tom!!

Maybe we should start a good History movie thread. Or movies based on foreign wars and such, movies like All Quiet on the Eastern Front and Enemy at the Gates.

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
Too bad Rachel Weisz didn't shoot a single Nazi in Enemy at the Gates. To me, that movie was a more like a poor re-do of A Tale of Two Cities.

I've tuned in to Algiers a couple of times but only caught a glimpse now and then. It didn't hold my interest.

Same for All Quiet on the Western Front.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Too bad Rachel Weiss didn't shoot a single Nazi in Enemy at the Gates. To me, that movie was a more like a poor re-do of A Tale of Two Cities.

I've tuned in to Algiers a couple of times but only caught a glimpse now and then. It didn't hold my interest.

Same for All Quiet on the Western Front.
"Enemy At The Gates" was a sop to Nikita Khrushchev, with kudos to Stalin. Besides the fact that no "Major Konig" existed, and the required love affair by Zaitsev with Tania, it seemed like a WWII propaganda movie.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Are you guys kidding? Enemy at the Gates was NOT a fluff piece, lol. In no way did that movie make anybody want to join Communism or thought the Russians took care of their own people in that movie, lol. The young boy died because of chocolate from he got from the Germans, yep, that movie made me want Communism for my son. They were shot for retreating, yep, sign me up. They were short on ammo, again, yes please, give me all of that. The Germans were wearing Hugo Boss and had pressed uniforms..... na, give the me the gritty cave/homes the russians had, please. They propped up the lead character in propaganda because they were losing, yes, where do I add my name for the losing side? Lol, I could go on, you guys sure we watched the same film? Maybe you guys are thinking of it being a German Propaganda film?

It doesnt really matter though, because everybody has their own take on History, whether it be Hollywood or the US or other Countries.

Do you know who in England cares about Plytmouth and the Mayflower steps? Nobody.

Wanna know why the idea of Hitler escaping Germany is even up for debate? And all the conspiracy theories behind that? Because we weren't there, the Russians were there before us. We never saw proof. I dont remember learning that in US History, but they teach it in Russia.

You could also watch movies like Enemy behind the Gates for other reasons. I like it because it was pretty amazing how the equipment they used sucked, lol. And it peaked my interest into looking up more about old school snipers. They used scopes that typically were 3x max, used hair reticles (literally hairs, red hair was usually the best for clarity and almost illuminated with light) to measure their distances, no Stadiometric scopes, no "dialing" in, no BDC, etc. And we complain about our rifles not being sub MOA, lol. Really? Imagine what they had.

Carlos Hathcock is awesome because he usually worked with subpar equipment, and used his brain more. Same with Simo Hayha (White Death), most confirmed kills in Sniper History, used iron sites to keep his profile low, etc. But if they made a movie of Simo, why watch a Finnish fluff piece? Nothing to admire or learn there.

Point is, fictional or not, fictional with some BS scattered through, or not, alot can peek an interest, and sometimes show what it "could have" been like. Or maybe another view point. And your not going to agree with all of it. But doesnt mean you cant learn from it. Or.... possibly even recognize it when you see it for yourself. That's what movies and books, fictional or not are about. Hunger Games are COMPLETE fiction, why watch that crap? Wait, see any similarities in the US? Matt Bracken, fiction, total BS, why even read his silly words.... oh, wait... that dude may know some stuff....

This movie (Battle of Algiers) was good because guess what's changed since then? Not much. In some ways Humans are amazingly intelligent, in other ways, we are completely idiotic (to put it lightly for fear of XXIV Corps). Wanna get our boys and gals out of the Middle East? Spreading Movies like this to the younger generations like me can help. It can show that its been done before, and doesn't do anything. Maybe if some had taken this movie (directed/written from another viewpoint-must be propaganda, guys) seriously back then, we wouldnt have been in the places we're in now. Heck, it even showed back then their use of bombs, literally, just like today.

Just my opinions.

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
"You could watch movies like Enemy behind the Gates for other reasons."

I went to the movie to see Rachel Weisz shoot Nazis. She shot not a one.

I did learn, that if you eat snow, and try very hard, you can shoot commo wire at 360 meters.

And much like a Tale of Two Cities, Enemy at the Gates showed that if you love a woman enough, you would gladly die so she could be with the one she loved.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
"You could watch movies like Enemy behind the Gates for other reasons."

I went to the movie to see Rachel Weisz shoot Nazis. She shot not a one.

I did learn, that if you eat snow, and try very hard, you can shoot commo wire at 360 meters.

And much like a Tale of Two Cities, Enemy at the Gates showed that if you love a woman enough, you would gladly die so she could be with the one she loved.
Lol, ok, maybe I got too heated and politcal- forgive me, it's my passion/fault.

I could see how you'd be pissed if you thought Rachel Weisz was gonna be shooting Nazis.

There was a cute Russian girl (Roza Shanina) that actually was a VERY good sniper. They should do a movie about her. She died young though, but according to Wiki (had to look her up, forgot her name) had 59 confirmed kills.

·
Registered
4,204 Posts
"La battaglia di Algeri" usually does not reach out and grab you as it is almost a documentary (albeit from and Algerian point of view), and therefore does not have the character development and inter-personal "conflict" that movie viewers seem to want. But, it is about 90% factual, only the names have been changed to protect the . . . innocent and guilty.

"Enemy at the Gates" is horribly inaccurate in just about everything, except maybe there was a war between the Germans and the Russians at one point in the mid 1940s.

I prefer my "historical" movies to stick to history. Films like "Tora Tora Tora", " A Bridge Too Far" and "The Longest Day. "Midway", the 1976 version, would be in there too, but the Chuck Heston/Edward Albert sub-plot needs to be edited out, that's fiction. (To be fair, "The Longest Day" and "A Bridge Too Far" have some fiction, as well, but its minor and the movies is mostly fact based)

The thing I never liked about the movie industry is there are literally thousands of 100% true war stories that are much better that the drivel the fiction writers come up with.

- Operation Biting (Two RAF radar technicians trying to disassemble a German radar set, at night, under machine gun fire, so they can put it on a boat and bring it back to Britain for study)
- Camarón (65 men in a hacienda, with no food or water versus two battalions of infantry and a battalion of cavalry . . . )
- Operation Castor and the Battle of Dien Bien Phu (I mean who would believe that you can disassemble three M24 Chaffee tanks, load them on to several C47s and a C-119s, fly them 100 kilometer into the jungle, then reassemble them.)
- The defense of Outpost Snipe
- The Battle off Samar
- The whole First Anglo-Afghan War, really.
- The life and times of Leo Major
- The battle for the Aleutians, the most successful feint of the war.
- the Suez Crisis and Operation Musketeer (the international intrigue that went on between France, Britain and Israel boggles the mind),

and, the list goes on . . .

·
Registered
349 Posts
They used scopes that typically were 3x max, used hair reticles (literally hairs, red hair was usually the best for clarity and almost illuminated with light) to measure their distances, Really? Imagine what they had.
Alright Brother gehlsurf: I know "Enemy At The Gates" was all Hollywood and all that but liked it anyway.

These red hairs of which you speak, I seem to remember hearing a lot about how fine they were and often used for other critical measurements. Did these hairs used for reticles come from certain young, in-experienced donors?

History buffs would like to know.

TIA for clarifying this.
Jarhead

1 - 11 of 11 Posts