M14 Forum banner

The basics

974 views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  liftrat22 
#1 ·
Howdy, everyone! Wondering if all you knowledgeable folks could help me get started in the right direction. I have a SA basic rifle. (Chrome lined barrel, etc.) I am anxiously awaiting a stock from Six-t.I was wondering if there is a protocall for tricking one of these out. After I get the stock, should I bed it right away? I would like to have the gas system unitized, have a GI bolt and op-rod put in, and so forth. And here is another factor to consider: I want another one. This one shoots good, I don't have any complaints, just want to maybe squeeze some more accuracy out of it, and put in GI parts for reliability. But, since it IS working well, maybe I would do better saving my money for a Fulton? Any thoughts or opinions would be appreciated. So I guess my question boils down to: what would you do, and what order would you do it in, if you were going to start tricking a stock M1A out?

#3 ·
Tommo said:
Do not fix what is not broken! Also, consider buying a used Springfield or an Armscorp that already has USGI parts.
Good advise here.

Spare parts are always good to have just in case ya need them.
You know, all those little firing pins, extractors, ejectors, trigger group, op-rod, etc. :mrgreen:
Oh, they ain't getting no cheaper either. :wink:

#4 ·
Aloha NM-ex:

If you already got one, GREAT, if it shoots really good as is, then its a bonus and AWESOME!

Getting another rifle is a good idea and would provide you with alternatives and choices in how you want them setup. As for which manf. to go with? Best check with those who already have 'em. Quite a few have Fulton rifles, Oxmix is one IIRC. LRB is another choice... many on this board have LRB's so they won't be hard to find!

This is maybe some ideas on how to trick out your rifle...

1. Make sure the barrel was of good quality and spec.
2. Install NM sights (front and back).
3. Get trigger job to NM specs.
4. Ream the flash hider, unitize the gas cylinder, check the op rod guide, install NM op rod spring guide...
5. Bed the rifle...

If all were fitted together, there should be an improvement in the performance of the rifle... change out any parts that are substandard.

Have fun and take your time... :lol:

Aloha,

Tom O.

Aloha,

Tom O.

#5 ·
"Do not fix what is not broken...." I love it! Thank you , Tommo. And thank you too, Warbird and Dighawaii! Good advice, all of you. Would you guys recommend Fulton for the unitizing? That's not a job for "just any" gunsmith, I'm assuming, is it? Also, what is IIRC?
I'm thinking about doing the stuff you suggested, Dighawaii, and then just leaving well enough alone, on this rifle, and then investing in a Fulton rifle for my next one- rule of twos, here I come!
Again, thank you for your advice, fellas.

#6 ·
Aloha NM-ex:

Glad to help... :lol: As for unitizing a gas cylinder, there are a number of folks on this board that can do it for you! HueyGunner did most of mine... around 5-6 IIRC... and he used the "screw" method, which I like!

Other folks that pop in mind is Warbird, Ted Brown and M14Dan... of course the other 'smiths as well, Smith Ent., Fulton, etc...

Yep, this board is chock full of talented folks! I like how everyone pitches in and helps out when someone's got a problem... it's great to hear the different idea, opinions, etc... and I can say... I'VE LEARNED A LOT!!!

Good Luck and Have Fun!

Aloha,

Tom O.

#7 ·
NM-ex, IIRC: If I Remember (or Recall) Correctly HTH

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.