M14 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
Honorary Forum Lifer
16,901 Posts
Also, if you are just starting in precision shooting or are recoil sensitive then 6.5C might be worth switching to. I was already heavy into .308 Win with many rifles so it wasn't worth it to me. I have dope for my FN SPR to 1210 yards and have a Kestrel if I need some help calculating wind drift at long range so of course I'm sticking with .308Win/7.62x51.
m14brian

·
Registered
3,970 Posts
There is always something that is better for one thing compared to another thing that is better for something else...

I appreciate you taking the time to bring it here, but the title makes me reluctant to give it a click I've never even heard anybody claim anything to be an ultimate super cartridge, ever.

Having read it, does it say anything of use that hasn't already been said on this forum?

·
Premium Member
16,551 Posts
Heck, I used to hunt with an old Mosin. Don't need anything special if some can do it with a bow and arrow.
Now, for punching paper, the 6.5 is my toy of choice, just because.

·
Registered
6,864 Posts
The 6.5 Creedmore is an ultimate of modern marketing.

"It is related that when the ship was in deep but not obvious distress the captain could not persuade the passengers to man the life boats, so he resulted to cultural remedy.
To the Germans he said, 'It is an order.'
To the English he said, 'It is a game.'
To the French he said, 'It is sinful.'
To the Italians he said, 'It is forbidden.'
And to the Americans he said, 'It is new.' "
--Jeff Cooper

·
Registered
9,513 Posts
Visit one of the hunting sites, especially a site that specializes in long range hunting. According to their members the 6.5 seems to be able to take elk at 1000 or more yards with one shot by anybody with a few minutes of training. At the gun store that I work at I hear from many of the customers about how the cartridge will drop everything including moose, grizzlies, and elk more efficiently than any other cartridge. I also heard from a Fish and Wildlife employee that they are seeing a rise in abandoned elk kills which they believe is being caused by these 6.5 long range hunters.

Personally I agree that it's not a magic cartridge, it has its place but it is definitely not the do everything cartridge that so many believe it is.

·
Registered
7,690 Posts
A friend of mine who runs a shooting school did an article interview some time back. When asked about the round as an elk round, he said, "I like this round a lot but lets not get carried away."

·
Registered
643 Posts
I think the only definitive statement that can be made about gun calibers and cartridges is that there is no end-all, be-all, do-all cartridge or caliber. Many are so close to each other that any comparison between them of advantages or shortcomings is completely argumentative. Many are so different from each other that any comparison between them is ludicrous. Some calibers have a narrowly focused purpose (I wouldn't go squirrel hunting with a 50BMG, for instance :p ), some have a wide suitability that overlaps many that are just as suitable. Everybody has a favorite, everybody has one they hate.

Reactions: RAMMAC

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Decent enough article... and points out valid info....But , Ironically the article misses one of the main reasons the 260 and 6.5CM were created for... to fit into a Large Frame AR and the magazines used by them. ( As well as smaller actions then the typical 30/06 size. )

Are there "better" cartridges... sure.
I am quite happy with my .308 and 6.5CM AR's. ... are they the best thing 'ever ? Nah... but they sure do what I want out of them.

And as mentioned... the best cartridge ever, still hasn't been designed.... otherwise, we would all be using it.

Reactions: cockednlocked

·
Registered
643 Posts
Are there "better" cartridges... sure.
I am quite happy with my .308 and 6.5CM AR's. ... are they the best thing 'ever ? Nah... but they sure do what I want out of them.
My M1A is just fine as my .308 example, and my AR 6.5 Grendel is good out to 1000+ yards, so I'm happy with what I have. Thought about a Creedmoor, but felt the Grendel was close enough.

Reactions: bfoosh006

·
Registered
66 Posts
A discussion about the benefits and failings of the 6.5 Creedmoor should probably start with it's origins. The 6.5 Creedmoor was borne out of a discussion during down time at Camp Perry between Dennis Demille of Creedmoor sports at that time and Dave Emary of Hornady. Dennis is a high level highpower competitor, former National HP Champion and former National Service Rifle champion. He shared his wish list for a dream cartridge for HIGHPOWER RIFLE COMPETITION. Aside from accuracy and modest recoil, Dennis also listed out availability of factory match ammo and load recipe's listed on the box. At that time, Dennis was shooting a TUBB2000. Not an AR10 or SR25 so this statement is not true;
Ironically the article misses one of the main reasons the 260 and 6.5CM were created for... to fit into a Large Frame AR and the magazines used by them. ( As well as smaller actions then the typical 30/06 size. )
Emary came back with a cartridge that checked all the boxes and was prepared to name it the 6.5 Demille. Dennis and Dennis being the humble guy that he is suggested it be named for his employer; Creedmoor Sports. And the rest is history.
Why did the Creedmoor take off where it's fraternal twins the 260 Rem, 6.5-08 and the 6.5x47L did not? It is a fortunate coincidence that the Creedmoor was introduced as interest in long range shooting was heating up. The Creedmoor's intended purpose, HP Rifle is shot out to 600 yards and out the gates, the Creedmoor was loaded with long high BC bullets. Also true to Dennis' wish list, boxes of Hornady ammo included the load data (though recently I saw that they no longer continue the practice).

Is the 6.5 Creedmoor the end all, be all cartridge? Of course not. No cartridge will ever be. But it did meet the design criteria laid out for it. Why is it not dominating PRS? well...I don't play that game but I believe PRS can use brakes opening up the stage for bigger boomers with better downrange performance. *(linked PRS article actually says the opposite - PRS likes the smaller cartridges)

Why is it so popular for hunting? I believe that when rifle manufacturers jumped on board, they had to set up the chambering for the longer, high bc bullets the Creedmoor was designed around. Combined with great quality ammo out the gates meant shooters were given a great chance at downrange success. The original design criteria of modest recoil, high degree of accuracy and slick feeding didn't hurt. All this produced a turn-key package that was a great hunting combination out to distances most hunters could ever wish for.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Also, if you are just starting in precision shooting or are recoil sensitive then 6.5C might be worth switching to. I was already heavy into .308 Win with many rifles so it wasn't worth it to me. I have dope for my FN SPR to 1210 yards and have a Kestrel if I need some help calculating wind drift at long range so of course I'm sticking with .308Win/7.62x51.
m14brian
Pick up them 29palms brass. 🤣

1 - 19 of 19 Posts