M14 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5,751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
With a little nudging from him and help from my brother I got one of Hawk's AMBI kits installed in my Sage on the 24th. Hawk also put my setup on his site as well as my review and write up on installing the kit. It's pretty straightforward, major difference is you have to drill and tap the stock to install it. The end results were definitely worth the effort. The biggest thing I like is it covers up the "JVP Seymour CT USA" on the receiver. For some reason I never liked that on the receiver.

·
Registered
2,672 Posts
Looks good!
I know what you mean about certain logos or engraveings on weapons.

·
Registered
69 Posts
No Expert
First off, you have got to change your avatar back, this one is killing me everytime I read one of your post.

Secondly, your write up on the installation over on Hawk's site is outstanding. Doesn't get much better than that, thanks!

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
Right On Bradduh!!!

Yeah Baby!!!.........great job. Looks Awesome and complete.GI2

·
Registered
5,751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys, it really turned out better than I hoped and definitely completes the rifle and chassis.

Now I just need to find time to get to the range to try everything out... hoping to do it this weekend.

And what's wrong with KJI? He's even making duck lips for you.

·
Registered
5,751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Well, I think I'm going to move to the Sage M14FACC... I really like the dummy kit, but I keep running into problems. For whatever reason the bracket keeps shifting, so when it's aligned one moment, it's holding the op rod back the next. Most likely an issue I caused, but a new bracket setup will cost more than the cover. Maybe in the future I'll get a new bracket and try it again, but for now I'm going to remove it and run the cover.

It could be that my action is shifting in the chassis too. I don't feel like it locks up tight in the Sage, I can't manually move it front to back, but It doesn't take any effort to drop it into the chassis either. The trigger group locks up really solid, but it just seems like something is moving, be it the dummy kit or the action, hard to determine which it is. I'll break out the caliper today after work and do some measuring to determine which it is so I can put it to rest in my head.

Like I said, I may try the dummy kit again in the future, may even make my own bracket just for the Sage (yes, be very scared). However, for now it'll be coming off till I can get it sorted out; I'm just not willing to risk damaging my action because parts aren't interfacing correctly.

·
Registered
5,751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The connector lock hits the stock before the bracket does without the spacer. I think I may have bent or damaged something trying to get it fitted right, possibly weakened the weld in the process. Like I said, I'm pretty sure it's my own doing and it'll probably take a new bracket to get it back in the game.

It's not that big of a deal, I think I'm going to order a sear release or two in a couple weeks and see if I can make up my own bracket (hopefully using screws and slotted holes so it's adjustable). Should be pretty easy, just time consuming to get it right.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Reading through this post, it sounds like NoExperts spacer was too thick, which caused the connect arm not to rest on the Sage and led to problems. But without any spacer, the bracket won't touch the the Sage (judging by mine).

How did you install yours MARINE? Did you use an aluminum space on yours like NoExpert?

·
Registered
5,751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The spacer is fine, I'm having issues with front to back and side to side fitment. The sear release and connector arm have to be in a precise location not to interfere with the op rod.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
I didnt use a spacer on mine,these kits are tricky in a sage,I had to grind off some
material from the selector mount that sits in the stock.I switched out a LRB in the
MOD1 AND installed a SA.I had to adjust adjust and tweek everything. Josh will
figure his out.Keeps your mind busy.you have a small space to work in that is allready
having work done in ,you have to work inside the boundaries little margine for errror
when it comes together you know you have used your noodle.

rob

·
Registered
5,751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I talked to Hawk, he's going to take care of me with getting this all fixed up. As always, a great guy to deal with. I think I have two problems which I'll openly admit to creating. First I think it's installed too far rearward, I've discovered my action settles forward into the chassis. Second I need to make the spacer so it supports the whole bracket, currently it ends about midway at the screw holes. Again, both issues I caused myself. Once I get the bracket I'll make a new spacer and get new screws and use washers this time around.

No fault of the kit, just think I overworked the bracket installing, removing and adjusting it. Hawk definitely came to my aid to help me get this sorted out. Since I know he reads this forum, thanks Hawk.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Nice! I'm still waiting on my barreled action. Hopefully I shouldn't have too much trouble installing my Dummy Kit. Thankfully I have a grandfather who spent most of his life in a machine shop and has one of his own. GI1

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.