M14 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
"Death From Above"
11,642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally got my WOA upper and lower parts kit. This project did not take as long as a M14 build by far. Last spring I ordered a Krieger HBAR it showed up and the same day it was on its way to WOA for them to build a match upper for me. Aside from the 1/4x1/4 pinned rear sight and the flats that were machined in the barrel for the front sight set screws and the free float handguard there really is not a buch of bells and whistles to this build. Just the way I wanted it. I now have another rifle I can use if and when I ever get the time to start going to local matches. I am waiting on a GA service rifle trigger, it should be here in three weeks so I did not install the selector but its pretty much done aside form those two item. Best part about this rifle is I dont have to get another scope!!!

I wish i could have had this while I was in rather than the A1 that I was issued. I bet a dollar I can get through 40 rounds without a jam or missfeed with this one. Thanks for looking.

·
Registered
3,891 Posts
Nice!

Say, is that a Colt bayonet? GI7

·
Registered
476 Posts
Great job Warren,

What kind of upper and tell me more about the krieger HBAR. I also like the rear sight set up. I just built an M4 type with an LBR lower and still have an RRA in the safe that I would like to build a traditional A2 with.

·
"Death From Above"
11,642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Nice!

Say, is that a Colt bayonet? GI7
You know it is! LOL its not GI!!!!!! Yup its one I got from Apex they are real nice as you already know.

Nice setup. is that a preban lower? or just a new logo design mine doesnt look like that.
Thanks! I got this one from LRB from a group buy we had on the forum last year. It's only a year old so nope its not a pre ban. What lower do you have and are comparing it to? The only thing that is different is we had a run of TFL serial numbers. Aside from that I did not ever see an older LRB lower so I would not know if they changed the logo. Shoot LRB has only been around for 9 or 10 years so none of there stuff is preban come to think of it.

Great job Warren,

What kind of upper and tell me more about the krieger HBAR. I also like the rear sight set up. I just built an M4 type with an LBR lower and still have an RRA in the safe that I would like to build a traditional A2 with.
Its a White Oak Arms A2 upper. I have no idea who is making there uppers I bet 2336USMC would know. The rear sight seems to be the latest rave when it comes to rear sights. I am not sure how long shops have been pinning them or how many shops are doing it. You may be able to find out more info on the WOA website. The A2 upper with pinned rear sight was 147 the cost of the 1/4x1/4 rear sight was 118 it comes with three aperatures. Jaildog suggested I check out WOA for there service and components and he was right. I like the work they did on this rifle. I first purchased a complete bcg from them and sent the bolt out to Krieger so they can headspace the bolt to the barrel. I ordered an HBAR in May and it came in sometime in the begining of september. It has single point cut rifling as opposed to button rifling. I prefer this method and you pay a little more for it. WOA has HBAR's as well and I think they are a tiny bit larger in diameter at the port. The barrel was around $400 it is a preban with the threaded muzzle. It is like all of there barrels match grade, it is a 1/7.7 twist, wylde chamber and has a .093 gas port. They will make the port .099 if you want that size. The BCG was 126 complete, assembley and lower parts kit to include a butt stock free float tube ect everything but the trigger was $650. I ordered a Geiselle service rifle trigger that dealer cost is 220. So your looking at 1400 out the door for this set up. I elected to have WOA build it because if I had purchaced the parts I wanted from them seperately it would have cost approx 15% more plus the tools and I would still have had to send it to the to machine the flats in the barrel for the front sight base set screws. If you toos in the cost of the colt bayo and sling that was another $73. I'm not sure what the going rate for a NM service rifle is,maybe you can buy one cheaper but this one is made with my tfl023 lower. 23 is my bday and it has the tfl on it so I dig it. Plus its got the preban Krieger HBAR which really adds to the cost. I see WOA sells ready made service rifle A2 uppers for $710 Im not sure what blanks they use for there barrels or how they rifle them. I am sure they would be just as effective as what I built. I am just a Krieger nut I guess. If I could change one thing I would have had sent the birdcage to Krieger and had them index it to the barrel so I did not have to use the crush washer. I did that with my varmatch AR and JP tac Comp. Something just bothers me about the shinny silver washer sitting out there. I will probably use some flat black krylon and a small model paint brush and dull it up a bit. Im taking a break from building for a while. Its back to collecting parts for two more 14s and an AR-10 upper and lower. Before that happens I am scoping my M25/M3A set up. Oh yeah add like $80 for the lower. I forget how much they went for in the group buy.

·
Registered
558 Posts
You know it is! LOL its not GI!!!!!! Yup its one I got from Apex they are real nice as you already know.

Thanks! I got this one from LRB from a group buy we had on the forum last year. It's only a year old so nope its not a pre ban. What lower do you have and are comparing it to? The only thing that is different is we had a run of TFL serial numbers. Aside from that I did not ever see an older LRB lower so I would not know if they changed the logo. Shoot LRB has only been around for 9 or 10 years so none of there stuff is preban come to think of it.

Its a White Oak Arms A2 upper. I have no idea who is making there uppers I bet 2336USMC would know. The rear sight seems to be the latest rave when it comes to rear sights. I am not sure how long shops have been pinning them or how many shops are doing it. You may be able to find out more info on the WOA website. The A2 upper with pinned rear sight was 147 the cost of the 1/4x1/4 rear sight was 118 it comes with three aperatures. Jaildog suggested I check out WOA for there service and components and he was right. I like the work they did on this rifle. I first purchased a complete bcg from them and sent the bolt out to Krieger so they can headspace the bolt to the barrel. I ordered an HBAR in May and it came in sometime in the begining of september. It has single point cut rifling as opposed to button rifling. I prefer this method and you pay a little more for it. WOA has HBAR's as well and I think they are a tiny bit larger in diameter at the port. The barrel was around $400 it is a preban with the threaded muzzle. It is like all of there barrels match grade, it is a 1/7.7 twist, wylde chamber and has a .093 gas port. They will make the port .099 if you want that size. The BCG was 126 complete, assembley and lower parts kit to include a butt stock free float tube ect everything but the trigger was $650. I ordered a Geiselle service rifle trigger that dealer cost is 220. So your looking at 1400 out the door for this set up. I elected to have WOA build it because if I had purchaced the parts I wanted from them seperately it would have cost approx 15% more plus the tools and I would still have had to send it to the to machine the flats in the barrel for the front sight base set screws. If you toos in the cost of the colt bayo and sling that was another $73. I'm not sure what the going rate for a NM service rifle is,maybe you can buy one cheaper but this one is made with my tfl023 lower. 23 is my bday and it has the tfl on it so I dig it. Plus its got the preban Krieger HBAR which really adds to the cost. I see WOA sells ready made service rifle A2 uppers for $710 Im not sure what blanks they use for there barrels or how they rifle them. I am sure they would be just as effective as what I built. I am just a Krieger nut I guess. If I could change one thing I would have had sent the birdcage to Krieger and had them index it to the barrel so I did not have to use the crush washer. I did that with my varmatch AR and JP tac Comp. Something just bothers me about the shinny silver washer sitting out there. I will probably use some flat black krylon and a small model paint brush and dull it up a bit. Im taking a break from building for a while. Its back to collecting parts for two more 14s and an AR-10 upper and lower. Before that happens I am scoping my M25/M3A set up. Oh yeah add like $80 for the lower. I forget how much they went for in the group buy.
Welcome to the world of "competitive" Service Rifle! And welcome to a new found addiction. You will want "at least" two more fairly identical ones once you start getting out to the matches. Time to hit Creedmoor for the coat and all the other stuff, it you haven't yet.... :)

·
"Death From Above"
11,642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks James, I wouldn't go that far just yet I still have to sign up for the matches and get off from work to do them that's always a challange.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Well, nice rifle anyway! I have two LRB stripped lowers, consecutive serials, just waiting to become number 4 and number 5, match...

Get the CMP week at Perry off and get that bad boy up on the line....!

·
"Death From Above"
11,642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I am going to try I already put in for my vacation only august is a busy time and I usually don't get an answer until shortly before the requested days off. It sucks but I have no choice. Have a lot of work to do before then with regards to learning the ropes too.

·
Registered
476 Posts
I finally got my WOA upper and lower parts kit. This project did not take as long as a M14 build by far. Last spring I ordered a Krieger HBAR it showed up and the same day it was on its way to WOA for them to build a match upper for me. Aside from the 1/4x1/4 pinned rear sight and the flats that were machined in the barrel for the front sight set screws and the free float handguard there really is not a buch of bells and whistles to this build. Just the way I wanted it. I now have another rifle I can use if and when I ever get the time to start going to local matches. I am waiting on a GA service rifle trigger, it should be here in three weeks so I did not install the selector but its pretty much done aside form those two item. Best part about this rifle is I dont have to get another scope!!!
Hey, It's been over a month now and no range report. Are you going to leave us hanging like that? DI2

·
"Death From Above"
11,642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well I did get to the range. I installed the geiselle service rifle trigger and it took a bit of adjustment to get it all right. I love the rifle. The added front grip and butstock weights make this A2 weigh in at 16 lbs with a 30 round mag. I took it to brookhaveen rifle range for it's first outing which means bench only shooting. I am so impressed with the accuracy. It's scary accurate. Drop five sighters and all were high I adjusted the front sight 180 degrees up and it was on the money. Never even made a rear sight adjustemnt up down left or rightat 100 yards she held nothing but the ten ring with a bunch of x's. I am not home right now but I will take a few pics of the targets. I was shooting factory Black Hills BTHP 75 gr match. Loves the round.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Thanks Warren,

I'm at the point of barrel selection and was curious about your setup with the krieger. Sounds like a great shooter you got there, as well as an awesome looking rifle.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts