M14 Forum banner
21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
21,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
You're mic-ing 22 ammo? That would drive me crazy. If I were doing that I would have some go/no-go gages made for rim range or a taper gage so they could be rolled in to measure
Not that bad a task. I have been weighing and measuring cheap ammo for decades. Does help to cut down on the number of those miserable flyers. Whatta Hobby!

Light Motor vehicle Gauge Automotive lighting Measuring instrument

·
Registered
19 Posts
The weakest link in a precision .22LR is the ammo. There was a time that off the shelf Remmie target was good, then the Federal Champion was good too, even the Wolf. Now it’s all crap and at the mercy of the manufacturers and how long it sat in a storage container before it’s purchased. We used to swear S&B smelled like horse hair…

I have a Ruger MK II Gub’ment that would bring tears to eyes at pistol matches, some complained it wasn’t fair. 😂
You're mic-ing 22 ammo? That would drive me crazy. If I were doing that I would have some go/no-go gages made for rim range or a taper gage so they could be rolled in to measure
Yes, I mic the .22LR. When I hunt game I want good, clean hits.
1. There are .22 rim measuring gadgets for sale.
2. If you have a good quality (non-Chinese) caliper, you can zero it on the length of a virgin .223 brass, then insert the .22LR into the .223 case and read the difference which will be the .22 rim thickness.
I sort into 20 rnd .308 boxes by 1/1000 increments. Usually I am sorting an old, cheap ($9) 500 rnd bulk brick of .22LR so I box or bag each group and write the thickness on each container. The bullets don't end up in even 50 rnd groups. I have found that my .22 rifles have different preferences for rim thickness. The most consistent rim thickness and accurate non-Eley cartridges that I have shot have been the CCI standard velocity LR.

·
Premium Member
21,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Been having good results using the Remington surplus standard velocity from the CMP release a few years ago. For $90 per case, I don't mind doing some sorting.

·
Premium Member
21,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
It is really fast once you get the hang of using the tools. Less than 1 second per rnd. Whatta Hobby!

Light Motor vehicle Gauge Automotive lighting Measuring instrument

21 - 24 of 24 Posts