M14 Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
6,823 Posts
Ok, this new format sucks. Why is there a picture of an M-1 Carbine on "M14" Forum at the top? Shouldn't it be an M-14? Asking for a friend...…. Gonna have to get used to this all over again...….

Since this is a TRW parts thread, should a safety for a correct new as-issued TRW be completely unmarked? If not, what markings should it have? What would be correct? Also, what are the chances of the same rifle having a KMT marked op rod spring guide? Thanks for all help.
Yes, the safety on a newly issued TRW M14 would be unmarked.

REN

·
Premium Member
4,458 Posts
I got my 1st SAI M1A back in 1985-86, then followed up with 3 Armscorps back when M14 parts were plentiful. Jack allowed me to hand pick new and like new parts and 2 of my 3 parts kits from him were TRW. More recently 4 JRA heeled receivers. I still consider myself a "student" and learn from guys here on a daily basis. (wanted you to have a lil history of me before I answer your Q so you know where I'm coming from). This is just my experience since the 80s.
To find a guaranteed TRW safety from a factory original rifle would in my opinion happen 1 of 2 ways.
1st,, Find a TRW rifle with full 110% provenance that it was absolutely NEVER messed with. Like right from TRW to a museum, but even then, after all this time there would/could be some possible doubt.
2nd, find one NOS in wrap or however TRW packed them.. Now here's the rub, since the 80s, I personally have never seen any "in the wrap, in the tube, in a box" TRW marked parts with one exception. Prolly going on 8-10 years ago a guy had op rod springs for sale on the CMP forum, It was a box of either 50 or 100 @ $5.00 per. I had a pic saved but lost in a puter crash. The return address on the box was the full name :Thompson Ramo Wooldridge Inc Cleveland, Ohio.

·
Premium Member
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I have a TRW trigger group.
Where do I look for the markings?
Also, are all pieces in trigger group also marked?

·
Premium Member
4,458 Posts
Left side of the housing will be the part number followed by TRW, hammer marked on the visible front flat with part number followed by TRW. Never seen a trigger of any maker marked. Safety can be seen on the "open" side when viewing the housing. One maker marks their trigger guard but you have to look close as it tends to be a bit faint. Killeen Machine and Tool. They stamp a K with a M in the top opening of the K, and a T in the lower opening. They were a subcontractor for a few of the original M14 makers. They also made magazines and op rod spring guides, butt plates.

·
Premium Member
15,262 Posts
I got my 1st SAI M1A back in 1985-86, then followed up with 3 Armscorps back when M14 parts were plentiful. Jack allowed me to hand pick new and like new parts and 2 of my 3 parts kits from him were TRW. More recently 4 JRA heeled receivers. I still consider myself a "student" and learn from guys here on a daily basis. (wanted you to have a lil history of me before I answer your Q so you know where I'm coming from). This is just my experience since the 80s.
To find a guaranteed TRW safety from a factory original rifle would in my opinion happen 1 of 2 ways.
1st,, Find a TRW rifle with full 110% provenance that it was absolutely NEVER messed with. Like right from TRW to a museum, but even then, after all this time there would/could be some possible doubt.
2nd, find one NOS in wrap or however TRW packed them.. Now here's the rub, since the 80s, I personally have never seen any "in the wrap, in the tube, in a box" TRW marked parts with one exception. Prolly going on 8-10 years ago a guy had op rod springs for sale on the CMP forum, It was a box of either 50 or 100 @ $5.00 per. I had a pic saved but lost in a puter crash. The return address on the box was the full name :Thompson Ramo Wooldridge Inc Cleveland, Ohio.
Quite possible to have a TRW marked safety on one of the M14 A kits that the CMP released a few years ago. Many of the kits came from brand new rifles as they were being de-milled.

·
Premium Member
4,458 Posts
Have to wonder how CMP received the kits from the military,,, partially assembled, completely stripped down to individual parts,, each rifle, as broken down, all parts for that rifle stayed together/packed together????

·
Premium Member
15,262 Posts
Have to wonder how CMP received the kits from the military,,, partially assembled, completely stripped down to individual parts,, each rifle, as broken down, all parts for that rifle stayed together/packed together????
When the release first started up folks could order kits by mfg. Initially I ordered 2 of each. Did the same thing a second time, but when I was ready for my third order you could no longer get them by mfg.
That year at the North Store during the games, you could still request by mfg, but were limited to 1 each. Sure would like a time machine for those, the Service Grade Special M1s and the Carbine specials.

·
Premium Member
4,458 Posts
Time machine wish.. Back in the late 80s early 90s, Jack (Armscorp) would sell you a hand picked (by you) kit and a receiver. Forget if the receiver was $250 or the kit was $250, but a complete set with receiver was $450. IIRC they came with fiberglass stocks and for an added $10 or $15, hand pick a wood stock instead. If he liked you, and you upgraded to wood,,, he gave you the fiberglass stock too.

·
Premium Member
15,262 Posts
Yep, and all you could carry. I remember TRW bolts niw for 20 ea or 6 for a hundred. Used to grab a handful every show out of a 5 gal bucket.
Loved bringing kits home and adding to the stash. Most of my stash of the inexpensive parts ran out about 2 years ago.

·
Premium Member
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Time machine wish.. Back in the late 80s early 90s, Jack (Armscorp) would sell you a hand picked (by you) kit and a receiver. Forget if the receiver was $250 or the kit was $250, but a complete set with receiver was $450. IIRC they came with fiberglass stocks and for an added $10 or $15, hand pick a wood stock instead. If he liked you, and you upgraded to wood,,, he gave you the fiberglass stock too.
I remember those days . .. been fooling with rifles and pistols since I was a kid, then I got married, had a kid, was in school full time on GI Bill (War Orphan), and working part time . . . used to hit the gun shows almost crying for lack of money. Now, all these years later I finally get the rifle I've always been without. Seems I missed out on everything when they chopped up the M14s.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts