M14 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Gents, hope youre all having a good summer. So Ive decided to look into upgrading my powder thrower, doing it by hand and weighing each charge by hand is getting old and very time consuming. Anyone have a good powder thrower/scale combo that you can recommend? Something that I can punch in the grain weight and it will trickle automatically and is accurate? I mainly reload for rifles, with the intent of making match grade ammunition.

And also not costing an arm and a leg would be nice as well. I look forward to your input.

·
Banned
160 Posts
I've got one that I like. It is a beam balance scale that measures to the 1/10 grain, has ability to go up to about 500 grains. The only labeling I see on the device is called "AMT Autoscale". This thing has high speed and low speed powder tricklers. The high speed kicks off when the beam balance nears center equilibrium and the low speed brings the weigh to perfection. Every charge is weighed on the beam balance scale. I think there is some type of magnetic switching device that triggers the trickler motors to shut off at the precise time.

I find as I work my turret press the cycle of throwing a powder charge is just about the same time it takes me to seat a bullet and crimp. I like the system. It can get temperamental if not fully leveled but once dialed in it's a fine way of dispensing powder. I've used this system for the past 15 years or so...still running strong.

http://www.amtguns.net/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/AMT_AutoScale_Manual.pdf

·
Registered
9,269 Posts
RCBS Chargemaster, works great, never have more than 0.1 grain variation and those only happen a couple of times out of every 20 or 30 drops with IMR stick powders.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Check out the PACT setup. I have been using mine for close to 10 years with no issues. Just punch in your desired weight

and go. Made in the USA and a lifetime warrantee. 30 day trial, if you don't like it send it back. Read all about it here.
Mine is a P.O.S. and there is a limited life time warranty. The load cell is not covered. And that's the error that the scale is sending. SO it's a paper weight

·
Super Moderator
11,121 Posts
Another very satisfied RCBS Chargemaster 1500 user here. Best money I ever spent. You can turn off the speaker and run it in silent mode and you can change the dispense rates to make it faster. The McDonald's straw mod is a must.

Invest another $35 in check weights.

Tony.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
RCBS Chargemaster, works great, never have more than 0.1 grain variation and those only happen a couple of times out of every 20 or 30 drops with IMR stick powders.
This, mine works great, and I didn't even have to do any re-programming or mods.
I really like it for working up loads and I have a 10-10 sitting next to it for verification.

On the few occasions that it throws an off weight charge I just dump it back and throw another, throws the count off but I don't need a machine to count my rounds.

As for speed, by the time I seat a bullet, it has another charge waiting for me.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Another very satisfied RCBS Chargemaster 1500 user here. Best money I ever spent. You can turn off the speaker and run it in silent mode and you can change the dispense rates to make it faster. The McDonald's straw mod is a must.

Invest another $35 in check weights.

Tony.
+1 on the 1500. Mine is ~8 years old and came with 2 X 50 gram weights

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
Love my RCBS Charge Master 1500, have been useing it for about 5 years.

·
Registered
5,324 Posts
Sold my Prometheus I for $1700 with a small profit, and bought a Chargemaster instead. The Prometheus systems are probably the best throwers out there, but with my limited skills I could not shoot the difference in the ammo with the powder charged between my PI and the CM 1500

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
I've been using the Lyman 1200 for about five years. It's as accurate as any beam scale. I check it periodically against my RCBS 5-0-5, and a D-Terminator electronic, and they are extremely close. The Lyman allows for storing loads, etc. Highly recommended.

·
Registered
3,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Once again, a plethora of useful information! Thanks guys, I am now considering the RCBS Chargemaster. Once I get back from Ft Leonardwood, Im probably going to grab one of these.

Between this and the "worlds best case trimmer", which trims cases like sharpening a pencil, i should increase my shooting to reloading ratio substantially :D

·
Registered
401 Posts
this

After wandering in the morass of "hand work" to attempt precision reloads, I found the volume of work required some "automation". I then purchased the Chargemaster for powder despensing and the Lyman case prep center for reworking mil brass primer pockets and all brass work except trimming which I now do with Little Crow"s WBT in a drill...not the best out there, but suited my budget and my "needs".
This set up is allowing me (at age 72) to be in the middle of doing 1500 mil surp brass (LC) in .308 and 500 30/06 in different "drops" of powder (4064) under 145 grn. "plinkers", 150 and 155 grn. target and 168 - 175 grn. precision LR stuff and I am also going to do 500 M1 carbine loads under 110 grn. projectiles. I also do some 45-70 (using 4198) and various Varget, 4895 loads...
The powder shortages we have been thru have caused me to look for loads with different powders and leave some of the proven old time favorites due to powder un-availability. This is more easier done with the precision of the Chargemaster...I verify the first drops with a scale until satisfied and then weigh (verify) every 20 or so on a separate scale as I reload. I tend to allow the empty brass to accumulate until I have a bunch to reload. I have only found mistaken drops when I've done something stupid...like leave the pan cover open when the fan is blowing ( I live in Sunny South Carolina) or "bump" the Chargemaster (after it makes the drop) and cause extra powder to fall.
A little care in procedure and it's the best for the middle range reloader like me. I feed 3 MIa's. 1 Garand 30-06 and 1 .308 NM Garand NM (sweet !) and 2 carbines and a Sharps 34" replica by Pedersoli for my guys.
bobt

1 - 20 of 25 Posts