M14 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello al im new to the forum i joined because im taking a good hard look at socom or a scout to break into the .30 cal world. i know nothing other than ar15's and .223/5.56 ammo when it comes to rifles. so whats the thing to have for a real downrange effect on threats with 4 legs or 2? for example the heavy otm's are favored in the ar15 world for a good effect on target such as hornady 75g tap or a 77g smk. mk318 sot ammo is said to be good barrier blind round. but as far as what to try out in my future socom or scout for SHTF or even hunting i have the slightest idea of what to seek out. in other words, whats the good stuff? also, whats the relationship between .308 and 7.62 and which one is superior? and doesnt 30-06 come into play somewhere? any info on m1a ammo would be greatly appreciated! like i said, im new here and i know nothing.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Welcome, I am by no means an expert. Mil-Surp ammo is the way to go for target shooting and SHTF 147-150 gr. When you get into match shooting etc you will probally be looking at loading 168 and 175's, you have to watch your pressures or you will start bending or braking op-rods same goes with higher weight commercial ammo. I better stop talking I just had shoulder surgery and took a lot of meds, and I think I may be rambling and I dont want to give you bad info. There is definetely a wealth of info here, read the stickies on the ammo section it will give you a lot of info/warnings etc.. again welcome

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thank you. i should have read more before posting. i have already figured out that .308 has a higher pressure rating than 7.62 however the pressure readings are taken from different areas of a chamber so they are basicly very close to the same thing......did i get that right? and i am reading that anything using an amax or smk bullet will be devastating. for plinking i will use what ever is cheap and accurate enough. what id like to know about is the ammo you would keep on hand if money isnt a problem and why. of course every ones opinion on the "best round" will probably be a little different but im just trying to get an idea of what direction to go in ammunition wise.

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
hello al im new to the forum i joined because im taking a good hard look at socom or a scout to break into the .30 cal world. i know nothing other than ar15's and .223/5.56 ammo when it comes to rifles. so whats the thing to have for a real downrange effect on threats with 4 legs or 2? for example the heavy otm's are favored in the ar15 world for a good effect on target such as hornady 75g tap or a 77g smk. mk318 sot ammo is said to be good barrier blind round. but as far as what to try out in my future socom or scout for SHTF or even hunting i have the slightest idea of what to seek out. in other words, whats the good stuff? also, whats the relationship between .308 and 7.62 and which one is superior? and doesnt 30-06 come into play somewhere? any info on m1a ammo would be greatly appreciated! like i said, im new here and i know nothing.
elcome! Glad to have you. Many of your questions are already answered elsewhere on this site, but I'll try to help. 308 and 7.62x51 is the same cartridge, however the military requires thicker brass, reducing volume. Bullet weight varies from 100 to 220 grains, nothing over 175 should be used in an M14 because of the gas system. the 3006 is equal in power, but 1/2 inch longer. Stick to military surplus (mil-surp) in your M14, stay away from commercial ammo, because the comm companies load for bolt guns, and the pressure curve can be too strong for gas operated guns. I would get te standard 22 inch barrel, unless you absolutely need the shorter barrel. The std barrel is less finicky, gives better sight radius, and keeps the muzzle blast farther away. Again Welcome to our site, take your pack off and stand at ease a while. You are family here. dave

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.