M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have you guys used teflon coating on your sticks?

I sent one of my M1As to Black Ice Coating, mainly because I got tired looking at the shiny barrel. He coated it with close to OD green which is a fairly nice complementary color to the McMillan USMC woodland camo stock.

Back to the question. I mainly curious on the durability of the finish

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Are we correct in assuming you are referring to your SS bbl as being shiny? Did they coat the entire barreled action? What did that run? Inquiring minds and all... GI2

·
Registered
5,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Are we correct in assuming you are referring to your SS bbl as being shiny? Did they coat the entire barreled action? What did that run? Inquiring minds and all... GI2
Yes, this rig is a double lugged rig with Krieger 12 twist SS barrel. I had him coat the entire barreled action, op rod, op rod guide, spring guide, bolt assembly, every piece in the trigger assembly except the spring, rear sight assembly, front sight, flash suppressor, and castle nut. I did not get the stock metal coated 'cause every piece was epoxied in place. I will just add different coating material to the pieces later on.

Initial observation, all metal and metal sliding parts are smoother, even the safety. The op rod sliding through the guide is smoother. The bolt and op rod tilt without the spring glides easier and smoother. Since I had an excellently fitted rear sight, the elevation knob had to be ran up and down a few times to wear in, but the wind knob is smoother. I have not checked the trigger with weights.

The cost is surprisingly inexpensive and the turn around is excellent. Here is his site and pricing info. Lee, the proprietor, is good to go in my books.

http://www.blackicecoatings.com/Our_Service.html

Now the proof is on the longevity.

·
Registered
5,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It sounds like a great color, is it like the green tint parkerizing gets? Got pics?
The tint may a little lighter than the parkerizing green tint, but it is close to the light green patches on the stock. I have pics. Is it OK to post them on this thread or I have to post them on the picture section?

·
Registered
5,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
octanejunkie,

Here are the pictures of the teflon coated m1a.

·
Registered
167 Posts
teflon finish

Almost all of mine are finished in BlackT, GreenT, or a combination of both of them-from Walter Birdsong. First one was done in mid to late 80's and I've never quit. Will not rust and lubricity factor is next to nothing. I can't speak for other finishes but this one I've HARD carried on a number of weapons over a twenty year police career in the humidity of Jackson MS area. HTH's. Wendell

·
Registered
5,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
pistol5,

Thank you for the input on the Teflon coated pieces you have. That is what I am wondering about - the longevity of the coating. All the sliding pieces in the M1A appears to be smoother and slicker than before especially the windage knob.

·
Registered
5,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
How has this finish held up to wear, parts on parts wear, etc over the years?
I no longer own the rifle, it was wearing well over the time I owned it. I do own 2 more Teflon coated rifles, bot M1 Garand, one is a 30-06, and the other a 308. The 06 was barely shot, but the 308 has over 2K on the gun since coating. It is slick as ever, what is wearing or rather where the Teflon is getting shined is on the top of the bolt lugs. I suppose this is as normal as you would parkerized variety. The op rod and guide still real good.

Would I do it again, maybe, depends on the intended use of the weapon.

·
Premium Member
5,442 Posts
Almost all of mine are finished in BlackT, GreenT, or a combination of both of them-from Walter Birdsong. First one was done in mid to late 80's and I've never quit. Will not rust and lubricity factor is next to nothing. I can't speak for other finishes but this one I've HARD carried on a number of weapons over a twenty year police career in the humidity of Jackson MS area. HTH's. Wendell
I can only add a big + + and + to what pistol5 said. I knew Walter Birdsong for many, many years. He spent a part of his youth in the town where I went to grammar/high school and he was a playmate to my cousin.
Walter started his BlackT and GreenT a long time ago. I have numerous rifles, shotguns and hand guns coated by Birdsong. I have a couple 1911's with GreenT frames and BlackT slides......look neat.
I can only echo what pistol15 said about rust resistance and lubricity.

One event comes to mid - about 20 years ago I had the chance to go Nilga hunting between Kingsville, TX and Brownsville, TX, on the Gulf side of Hwy 77. At night we would leave our rifles on the porch of the cabin so it would not sweat as it came out of the AC into the hot-muggy summer ocean air. My hunting buddies guns literally turned brown with rust....my BlackT coated guns did not have a single speck ......
Another similar story happened on a goose hunt in the salt marshes.....

Doc.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I no longer own the rifle, it was wearing well over the time I owned it. I do own 2 more Teflon coated rifles, bot M1 Garand, one is a 30-06, and the other a 308. The 06 was barely shot, but the 308 has over 2K on the gun since coating. It is slick as ever, what is wearing or rather where the Teflon is getting shined is on the top of the bolt lugs. I suppose this is as normal as you would parkerized variety. The op rod and guide still real good.

Would I do it again, maybe, depends on the intended use of the weapon.
Can you show us some pictures of the finish both in high and low wear areas? I am kicking around the idea of having this finish done.

·
Registered
327 Posts
I had Jim Clark hop up a 1911 a number of years ago and ask him to send it to Birdsong for a Black T finish. Jim said he would but he highly discouraged it. Clark's experience was that the finish scratched easily and was white underneath.

The finish will protect the gun from environmental factors very well but is not very durable where sharp objects are concerned. I know a lot of people will now chime in to tell me how they love this finish but I saw several examples with my own eyes at Clark's that had been returned for refinishing.

Remember also that PTFE is not and has never been claimed to be a high pressure lubricant. ....and yes, bolt lugs require a high pressure lube, which is why good old Lubriplate is still the king across the course. MCORPS1

Having said that, I had a Mini-14 that I turned into an M1A look-a-like. I sent it to an outfit in California that put a finish on it they called Lubrifilm. It was manganese phosphate mixed with PTFE. It was a great finish that lasted as long as I owned the gun (25 yrs). Very hard & durable.

The new epoxy/ceramic based finishes seem to be far superior.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Question - you send your rifle to either of these guys, they strip them down, do the coating, reassemble and ship back - correct? Question is how well do they do reassembling your rifle? Is everything back to spec? No issues there?

·
Registered
46 Posts
This is more a response to flyboy56 comment.
i would think any coating would not do well against sharp object's what ever you choose best thing would be to keep it away from sharp object's the best you can.
I would like to have an m1a to chrome up one day to sit over my fire place.

·
Registered
5,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Question - you send your rifle to either of these guys, they strip them down, do the coating, reassemble and ship back - correct? Question is how well do they do reassembling your rifle? Is everything back to spec? No issues there?
I sent my M1a disassembled, Ronnie Morris sent the M1 Garand metal parts before the final assembly. I would not expect the coating operations to properly assemble the rifles, not in their core competency.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts