M14 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So on this Teak oil; will it build up. To look like Poly??? If so about how many coats does it take to start seeing a build up?? I'm trying to finish a table top and I have 6 coats on now; and it looks like I just started ???

Any help ; Please

Thank you

Tony

·
Premium Member
6,952 Posts
The build up if done correctly is gradual, you might want to use automotive wet sandpaper and the teak oil let it buildup and dry. Do this a couple of times until the grain is filled. It will then start to build up to a nice luster.

If you make a mistake it is easily removed with acetone and just start over. Never let too much just sit there it will not dry properly, it is best to wipe on wipe off.

I should have stated on the onset, the Teak oil best suited for your project is Watco Teak Oil.

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The build up if done correctly is gradual, you might want to use automotive wet sandpaper and the teak oil let it buildup and dry. Do this a couple of times until the grain is filled. It will then start to build up to a nice luster.

If you make a mistake it is easily removed with acetone and just start over. Never let too much just sit there it will not dry properly, it is best to wipe on wipe off.
Ok, I put 2 coats on wet for about 15 min. than wipe off;;; The rest I was doing like a spit shine rubbing it in with cotton balls.

·
Premium Member
6,952 Posts
ok, use shop towels to spit shine with, or just to wipe on wipe off ??
Use the shop towels to wipe on and wipe off, do this once a day until you get to where you want to be. Each time it will leave a thin film that will build up to a beautiful lustre.

·
Registered
823 Posts
If you're not shooting for absolute original methods, teak oil FINISH worked a miracle on my stock. 2 coats over 48 hours had her shining and water resistant.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
So on this Teak oil; will it build up. To look like Poly??? If so about how many coats does it take to start seeing a build up?? I'm trying to finish a table top and I have 6 coats on now; and it looks like I just started ???

Any help ; Please

Thank you

Tony

He's working on a table.

·
Registered
8,520 Posts
Use the Watco Teak Oil. It has a ratio of poly mixed in and therefore will build up nicely.

·
Registered
10,912 Posts
Teak oil won't start to build up until the wood has absorbed all it can handle.

Wet sanding will help fill the grain. If you want a finish that has a hard outer shell, you will need someting with polymers in it, like the Watco mentioned above.

·
Super Moderator
3,397 Posts
Exactly - Watco Teak Oil - the finish is on top of the grain and builds up like this [it is shiny/glossy in appearance] - example is on a stock but would be same on a table. look at the area near the "Proof P"

Conversely - Starbrite Teak Oil without polymers etc. the finish will be more in the grain as shown in these stocks. Non-Glossy more of a matte finish!

Another example - matte/not glossy - you really want to "touch it"

It comes down to personal preference like most things [Rifle Stocks or Tables].....

Good luck!

·
Super Moderator
3,397 Posts
Renisin - that is true - you can put on fewer coats, knock it down, buff it and your finish can be matte with Watco and that is a FINE finish on your stock. I have done several Big Reds with Watco with the exact same results.

However, the orginal poster I think actually wanted to build up the finish on the talbe and was asking about how many coats that would take. Watco [if you allow it to build up] will give you a very glossy final finish that might be great for a table etc. You could put 20 coats of Starbrite on the stock/table and it will not build up - it will go on and eventually dry [it is just a different product]. Not saying one is right or wrong....

Anyway - great looking stock and I hope "Chief of One" gets a great looking finish on the table!!!

·
Premium Member
6,952 Posts
Renisin - that is true - you can put on fewer coats, knock it down, buff it and your finish can be matte with Watco and that is a FINE finish on your stock. I have done several Big Reds with Watco with the exact same results.

However, the orginal poster I think actually wanted to build up the finish on the talbe and was asking about how many coats that would take. Watco [if you allow it to build up] will give you a very glossy final finish that might be great for a table etc. You could put 20 coats of Starbrite on the stock/table and it will not build up - it will go on and eventually dry [it is just a different product]. Not saying one is right or wrong....

Anyway - great looking stock and I hope "Chief of One" gets a great looking finish on the table!!!
M1,

Just showing whats possible with different methods, using the same product. I have finished many stocks with Watco, what started as a high gloss(I didn't care for) with more teak oil and 0000 steelwool gave me the desired matte finish. After rubbing in the teak oil with the steelwool, I simply wiped it nearly dry with a shop towel.

The Watco teak oil will penetrate deep into the grain, and will as it fills the grain buildup if left to on subsequent applications. Perfect for this table top project.

One more thing I like about Watco is its ability to repel dust,dirt and moisture.

Your stocks look fantastic as well!

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
OK, thanks everybody for their thoughts and ideals, The table top is done now with about 8 coats of Starbrite, and 4 coats of Briwax. Doug Carlton put me onto the briwax to top it off.

Thank you

Tony

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
WHAT! No pictures.
OK;;;OK;;
Sorry I did not take any before pictures. I only did the table top and legs, still have to do the chairs, You might be able to see the different color tone between the table and chairs.
One of the things I did was to dig out all the white wood filler in the knots with a dental pick, I mean the knot is brown or red;;; why would you put in white filler.
I don't know what they used for a finish; but after a week when we moved the place mates, we had 2 big white spots where they where. I guess no UV protection. So that's what started the refinishing project.

Take care

Tony

1 - 20 of 24 Posts