M14 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got this one box of Hornady 168gr BTHP from a buddy, with a bunch of other bullets. New to the reloading game, so figured I would check to see if theres anything I should be concerned about with regards to loading/shooting tarnished bullets.

Worst case, I figured I could expect some inconsistency, accuracy wise. As I only have the one box, they'll likely get used for just practice ammo. Anything else I should worry about, and if so, what can I do about it if anything?

Couldn't beat the price of FREE-fifty. GI1

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
If you have a tumbler just run them through a quick clean. You can also try bathroom cleaners that remove lime. Spray them and let them sit for a while. Rinse well and load them when dry. If only for practice and plinking you should not have any problems anyway.

·
Registered
3,997 Posts
As long as it's not corrosion, load and shoot them. Targets don't care about tarnished bullets.
As he said , just shoot the Darn things
However It is a well known and proven fact the shinier the brass and bullets are The better you will shoot DI5

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
If I was really, really worried about them, I'd toss them in some warm water and add a Tbsp or two of citric acid (found in the food canning aisle at Walmart for about $3). That will instantly clean them up. Me, I'd just load 'em and shoot 'em.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
You can try polishing them up with ketchup. I had good luck with that on tarnished brass. Leave it on for say 20mins and then wash it off. Or tumble them.
ketchup...RNGR3RNGR3
A friend didn't realize he had spilled some V8 Juice on his Ruger .44 carbine one morning before a hunt. We left that rifle in the truck and when we got home that afternoon, he cleaned the V8 off and it had stripped the bluing right to bare metal.

·
Registered
4,320 Posts
Don't Fib to the Guy! You all know if a Bullet is tarnished the BC will Change ant there is no way it is going to shoot a 1/4 inch Group at 500 yds.

The OP should just load them up and shoot them!

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ketchup....awesome. GI1

Thanks for the input guys. Kinda what I figured. Its so light I can't feel a difference in the surface of the jacket so I figured it probably wasn't a real concern.

I'll just load them up and use them to practice. My offhand needs some serious work anyways.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts