M14 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys new here. I'm deciding on my 1st garand purchase. I need help deciding between a full size special in 308 from the CMP or a Tanker from garand guy also in 308. I wanted a shuffs but he is now sold out for the next year and im only a few weeks late :-(. I do have one option as i could buy a service grade from CMP then send it to shuffs for the conversion but that's a lot of waiting. What say you????

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
That is the 64 thousand dollar question for new Garand buyers.

I have both, so here are some random thoughts... And these thoughts apply to both a 308 or a 30/06 Garand. Both cartridges work excellent in the Garand.

First the standard size Garand. It is a classic. It is the rifle we used, when we fought the War WE WANTED to win. And we DID. [Sorry, could not resist DI5].
The full sized Garand is still an excellent rifle. Its balance is perfect.
For older eyes the 24" barrel puts the front sight far enough away from your eye where it is a lot easier to focus on. This can be an important consideration...

The Tanker Garand is also an excellent rifle. It is a 30 cal BATTLE rifle the same size as an AR 15 or a 30/30. I really like the "Tanker" as a modern Personal Defense rifle. It is handy to transport in a vehicle, or on an ATV, handy to carry, and hunt with, and handy in tight quarters. It is still legal in most states.

I do like the Tanker.

However, there is only 6" difference between them.

If you can, handle both, and get the one you like the most first.

With all the above being said, the best buy on the Planet is a Garand from the CMP.

Probably the harder question is 30/06, or 308????

·
Rest in Peace
17,536 Posts
First you want to decide on caliber. If you already have something like a M1A its logical to have other rifles in the same caliber.

You can take a tanker, add a muzzle brake or flash hider, & it will still be shorter then a standard.

BTW, there is also the option in 7.62NATO of having it converted to take M14/M1A magazines.

·
Registered
3,773 Posts
I went with the full size in 30-06 because I wanted something that fit the times. I wanted a WW2 look and feel so that is what pushed my decision. Either way I think just by owning a Garand is a step in the right direction.

-Huntinghawk-
Do you have any links to this conversion? I have hear of Garands modified to fit BAR mags but not M1A mags.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
I think this is back to the why are you looking to buy a Garand in the first place questions.
Also, why do you want it in .308?

You can't shoot either of these guns in an official John C. Garand match if that matters (full size due to caliber and tanker is not original configuration). The shorter configuration holds no historical significance if that matters. Of course a CMP special is pretty limited on historical significance too but it is the right config DI2

I have many Garands and none are the shorter configuration. I know it is a larger $$ investment but if I wanted a shorter configuration gun, I would go for the m1A scout.

The full size Garand is a great rifle and great to shoot. The CMP special is a very nice rifle and I don't think you will be disappointed.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
I built my own "Tanker" Garand in 308W. A 308W will recoil less than the same rifle in 30-06, and also make less noise(muzzle blast), something to consider with a short barreled rifle..................though my brother doesn't seem bothered by his Tanker in 30-06.
I wouldn't use a muzzle brake. All it does it make and already loud rifle louder. My son and I found this out when I put a brakeo on a short barreled M1A. It only took a few shots to convince us that we didn't like that. I would seriously consider a Flash Supressor. I modified one by shortening it, to put on mine. I actually had to put one on, because the Tanker in a folding stock, it is 28 1/2" long, and here in California anything shorter than 30" is considered an Assault Weapon. Mine, when it is in its folding stock, is 30 1/4" long with the stock folded.USNA

There are "purists" out there that don't like them, and that is their right. Tankers are kind of like Hot Rods. Since many of them are custom builds, how well they work depends on the skill of the builder. As long as they work, they are a fun gun to shoot, easier to handle, and reliable.

·
Rest in Peace
17,536 Posts
-Huntinghawk-
Do you have any links to this conversion? I have hear of Garands modified to fit BAR mags but not M1A mags.

I have a 7.62 tanker that takes M14/M1A mags & one in 7.62 that uses enblocks. For what is now being charged to do the magazine conversion I would stay with using the enblocks & just practice with it.

·
Cranky Old Vietnam Vet
10,663 Posts
I don't buy the smaller, easier to wield version of ANY rifle.
Isn't a Pistol...a smaller, easier to wield version of a Rifle?

GI2

Depending upon 'mission', there is a place for both!

CAVman in WYoming

·
Registered
8,632 Posts
Wildman you sure opened the Garand can of worms here!USNA so here is my $.02 to add. I have a tanker w/ m14 mag conversion & love it. but as already stated, it is a MODIFIED hot rod rifle. if this is gonna be your 1st Garand then I would HIGHLY suggest you buy a nice usgi std rifle & get to know the mechanics of it & also get in "tune" with the rifle as you shoot it before you step into the modified Garand world. think of it as buying your 1st vehicle as a teenager. would you be better off with a base auto that is easy & economical to maintain or a hot rod that has been modified so much that the local dealership can't / won't work on it. see where I'm going here? save up a $1000 & buy the best usgi you can find. a "test drive" is also highly recommended! good luck!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
OK here is some more info. I'm going with 308. Because I live in the crappy state of NY and as of January I cannot mail order ammo anymore so stocking up from CMP is out of the question. I already have 308 on hand and can get it locally.

Also I'm looking at Garands basically to supplement a M1A/M14. I've always wanted a garand but have wanted a M1a more. Well I cant have an M1a because it has the whole detachable mag with a muzzle device unless I wanna weld on a fake flash hider and don't wanna do that. Even if I did 10 rounds compared to 8 isn't much difference when I can only load 7 when not at the range anyways!!!

So i guess in the end I do want a fullsize just to have even though it wont be "authentic" cause its in 308. And I also really really want a scout style short barrel. Just cant decide which to do 1st. Probably get the full size from cmp because if I don't i wont be able to buy a new/referb one for $995 ever again.

·
Registered
5,069 Posts
I'm sure y'all know the so-called 'Tanker' Garands never existed as an actual US issue weapon , though like Mattel marked M-16's, some GI's swear they had them.

The short barrel cuts velocity , increases muzzle blast and flash. They are about as obnoxious to shoot as a short-barreled Mosin or my .30 Carbine chambered Ruger Blackhawk.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
What is the point of converting a garand to 762or 308? then modifying to take m14 mags? Why not just get an m14?
I agree with this about the magazine conversion. A Tanker in 308Win is a cheaper alternative to buying an expensive SAI, or other semi auto, to get a short barreled, easy to handle rifle.
However, converting a Garand type rifle to a detachable magazine fed system adds needless expense, and the gain of basically nothing. A good man with a Garand type action can keep up with someone with an M14 style action in volume of fire. It just takes a bit of practise.
So, IMHO, don't do a mag conversion. Rather, put your money into ammo and practise.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
So the point of converting a garand to 308 is its cheaper then an m1a? I guess that's a good enough reason to me.
Well, another reason, is that for us in live in one of the Communist styled states where we can't be trusted with so called "hi cap mags", the 8 round en blocs are not questioned. The 10 rd M1A/M14 mags are a bit harder to latch into place with their shorter length and the front to rear locking style of the M14 system.
My Tanker was a rack grade woodless Dane that I rebuilt using a kit from Numrich. So, for me at least, the cost was much less than for some one else.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I wont be doing a mag conversion. I'm getting a garand action because I cannot have a M14/M1A action. Having a semi auto with detachable mag are the only evil features i'm allowed. So that means if it has a bayo lug, muzzle device or pistol grip its an evil assault weapon. Plus I'm limited to 10 round mags which I can only put 7 rounds in them. If I go garand action then there is no detachable mag so I can have whatever evil features I want. Plus I'm not really losing capacity. It's a win for me and middle finger to cuomo!!!!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts